Deuce and Tres #21

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueNinja

Reaction score
Well, I just got home from school, and upon looking on my porch, I thought "Oh, crud... They're not here!" I didn't look by my mailbox:rolleyes:. Anyways, I got Tres 21 and a Deuce. I didn't get my camera, but it will probably come tomorow. More in a few minutes as I begin construction!

Tres first. Upon taking the parts out of the bag, I for the first time noticed the extremely light weight of balsa noses. Dry fitted: This is one big rocket! There is a 24 step instruction manual, and the instructions are very good. Currently I am marking the motor tubes.

Have you other Tres receivers started building yet?

very cool
very cool
very cool

can't wait to hear your progress on construction!

*curious* as to why this is in the "mid-power" forum. would 3 "C" motors qualify as *mid*?

jim

Dang! Can one of the mods move this to LPR, I was thinking a D was MPR...

I feel much better now... lol. Started on the Deuce, same point as the Tres: motor block glue drying.

Waaaahh!!!! I am BROKE!!! I cant buy one for another week or two!!!! BOOOHOOOO!!!! I would wish that my mom would let me borrow 20 bucks, but that would just be silly. She never lets me borrow money...:mad: Maybe my dad..... ;) Cross your fingers....

By the way, the Tres could be "souped up", meaning you wait untill AT is manufacturing 18MM Ds.... THAT would definetly be a MPR.

What about the shoveling money? Too bad you can't buy one, your parents won't buy one for Christmas?

Currently I can't really type because I have the Deuce MMT drying in my hand... Never mind. Found a way to put it down.

Deuce MMT drying ... I remember it well ... Thinking - that looks cool.

:cool:

Oh, THAT money.... HA! Spent it on about 200 blow darts. LOL. It might snow again, though! Hope so. we are a little short on $$$ right now, as we just bought this great house that has a yard big enough for large flying saucers. Oh well. I usually get a little something from my grandparents, so I will definetly be able to buy one by new years. Got my fingers crossed... Hope it snows...

Originally posted by cydermaster

Those centering rings look very familar... although I never built a Deuce with the laser cut rings ;)

Originally posted by cydermaster

It's interesting because every time I build a Deuce or a Tres I think the exact same thing "now, *that's* cool lookin' " :)

That's the attraction for me, it's *different*. You assemble one motor mount, you've assembled them all... ...until... :D

Yep. Deuce lower CR drying right now. I gtg in a while, but I will probably get back on.

Neil, I forgot... lol money I'm gettin is going to the "BN150 Blowgun Fund"...

"BN blowgun fund"? Where does the "BN" bart come from? I just got my order from them. $45 worth of darts. 50 stunners (I got GREEN ONES!!!! I am very happy!), 50 spear darts (get these, forget about the target darts. They are great!), 100 target darts, and 25 Stingers. I also got a lot of quivers and other stuff. A grand toatal of 225 darts.

BN150: Blue_Ninja_150...

Anyways, about ready to mark the Deuce tubes, first time I've ever cut a tube.

Whoa, 225 for 45? Cool deal!

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150

Anyways, about ready to mark the Deuce tubes, first time I've ever cut a tube.

If you've never cut a tube before (let alone an odd scalop cut like on the Deuce's Wild!), here are a few hints to help you along.

1) Use a *very* sharp knife (#11 X-Acto recommended). Use a new blade if you can. What they don't tell you about blades (x-acto or otherwise) is that the worse thing you can ever cut with them is wood and paper... :) )

2) Wrap the fin pattern sheet around the body as instructed and tape in place in several places along the top and on *both* sides of the scalop cut (fold over the edge to the inside of the BT)

3) Mark off the fin locations then use your knife to cut out the scalop areas of the fin marking guide. Cut deep enough to go all the way through the pattern and leave a score line on the body tube (don't cut all the way through the body tube on this pass.

4) remove the fin marking guide. You should see the score lines for the two scalop cuts.

5) Using *several* passes of your knife, carefully cut along these score lines to cut out the scalop area

6) NOTE: As you cut through the body tube, the tube will become very weak and flimsy in this area. This can make it difficult to cut and maintain control of your knife, so be careful and take your time.

7) You can help the cutting process if you have a spare CPL-60 (stage coupler for a BT-60). Insert this into the end of the tube and it will provide excelent support for the tube during this cutting process.

8) When done, lightly sand the scalops. It is also recommended that you wrap a motor casing with sand paper (400 - 600 grit) and sand a sloped edge on the inside of each scalop to match the angle of the motor tubes.

hope this helps!

jim

Jim,

Just like cutting a body tube for any other project I use a Mandrel inside the tube for support.

I make mine on a lathe out of scrap wood (pine or oak) but that's me!

You can also use a tube coupler or another tube (christmas wrapping paper tubes work great...wonder where I can get some this time of year?). Wrap them in paper and masking tape so they fit snugly into the main body tube (BT-60). Sorta like Micromister's mandrels.

This gives you something to cut against besides just the tube being cut.

If the blade is dull not only will the cut be harder to do but you will bear down harder to make the cut and you will probably slip with the knife and cut yourself!

Don't cut yourself!

I'm proud to say that my cuts came out so clean this way all I needed was a small glue fillet to make it pretty.

sandman

I am kinda ashamed to admit this, but I used super-sharp scissors to cut mine!!!! Worked very well, actually. I just taped the guide on and cut it out like anything else. Mega cheating, but it really simplifiies it. Looked purtyer before the lawn-dart, but it still is pretty good. I used epoxy throughout. I hate waiting for wood glue to dry.

Now I get the "BN" Thing. 225 darts for 45 bucks is pretty good.... I would reccomend you buy 100 stun darts and 100 spear darts. That would set you up right. I have these paper targets that I used to use for target darts, just line em up and shoot em, and I started using the spear darts.... I had them all lined up in a row (worked fine for target darts. They are weaker) and blew. Through one target, throughg the one behind it, and into the one behind that!!! WHAMIE!!! What fun!!!! Get some of those bargain 1.5" mailing tubes and cut em up. For about $1.50 you can get half a dozen tubes that can withstand a spear dart. You can also use paper towel tubes and toilet paper tubes. When I blow hard enough they fly right through those, too! I am gonna go line em up again. They sure are fun....

Just got home... Got the PenCam today! I will be able to post pics of the Deuce and Tres, and other stuff. Just gotta install it, and I'll post some cluster pics!

The software that came with your camera should have a way of RESIZING your image. Making it smaller (480 X 300 perhaps) should make it suitable for posting.

You may want to look into NetGrafics Optimizer by Hermera. Great tool for reducing filesize of images...

jim

Will Ulead Video Studio work for still photos? That's what came with it. Anyways, Tres motor shroud drying, will post pics if I can.

Oh yes, when I plug in the PenCam to the computer, the camera shuts off. Shouldn't the the opposite happen?

Ok, I still can't post pics, but it's not shutting off now. The Tres MMT is done, just need to get this darn camera working!

I am most curious...

...how was the assembly of the Tres motor mount? Instructions, materials, Motor Mount Shroud, etc?

jim

Very easy! I found it easier to assemble than the Deuce MMT. Instructions were very good, the pre-cut CR was good, like everything else. I like the paper shroud idea, it held up very well.

The MMT was kinda a tight fit into the BT60, bent one of the engine cutout sides:(. It's nothing I can't fix tho. If I really have to, I'll buy another tube, but that's the only problem I've encountered so far. Any more gotchas that anyone has noticed?I won't be flying this one, just display, so I want it to look real good.

that doesn't look bad. Plus, when the motor mount is installed, this end of the body tube becomes incredible strong.

Ok, will try just putting it in. Haven't sanded the cuts either, so that might improve it. I got some Deuce pics, gotta upload them.

Back