Deuce and Scimitar Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Reaction score
Went out for a quick launch today with my daughter (sorry, no pics).

Wanted to test my just-built Deuces Wild and Art Applewhite Scimitar.

Way too windy to do anything but send the Deuce up on A8-3s with a BIG spill-hole in the chute. Flew beautifully. It IS everything you've heard about. Even on A8-3s it's a way cool rocket. Just painted it tonite using the photos provided by Carl Tulanko and the template Jim Flis provided here on TRF. Thanks guys. :)

I haven't seen much on TRF about Art Applewhite's saucers and I just have to rave about the Scimitar. I flew the 24mm version, on D11-Ps and an E9-P and what a treat. The thing spins like a banshee and is an absolute hoot to watch come down. Tremendous for small fields. Even with the big winds today it landed within 40 feet of the pad each time.

For $10 and 2 hours worth of building i don't think you can build anything more fun! :D

I was surprised when I built it that for such a simple rocket I had to use a couple of techniques I'd never used before. They weren't hard, just different, and it was fun to learn something new from such a simple project.

I should mention that I got my Scimitar when I sent in an order to accompany the free 29" saucer I won on Descon 13. Thanks for being a sponsor of Descon Art (and you, too, Jim Flis).

Now I really can't wait to build that 29" saucer, and the Tres. :p

Hey Gus - Is that a real rocket or what. I can't really picture this being a rocket. If it is - can you show another picture with the working end. I would love to see what that looks like

Originally posted by jpasqual
Hey Gus - Is that a real rocket or what. I can't really picture this being a rocket. If it is - can you show another picture with the working end. I would love to see what that looks like

Go to https://www.artapplewhite.com and take a look around. He has free downloadable plans for his really small rockets, including the qubit and scimitar.

Ohh aswell , download the 13mm Quabit , print out on cardstock , build , cover in 2 coats of Thick CA , but instead of 13mm , 18mm :D Ill be painting mine tomorow and Ill post some pics later on this morning.

Art's products rule! I have several of his Delta Saucers & Qubits. My all-time favorite is the 29mm Qubit & the best motor you can put in there is an Ellis Mountain G35. It burns for 4 full seconds! :cool:

The Qubit, which is directly related to the Scimitar, is definitely one of those rockets that you just have to see in person for it to make sense... It just works. And works well :D

Art's products stay low enough for anyone to see the entire flight, don't require ANY recovery device (which makes them extremely easy to prep!), yet recover close & always flight great!

Definitely check them out. Oh...check out the free Qubit (that flies on 13mm Estes A10-PT Blurzz motors) on Art's website. The bigger Qubits/Scimitars/Stealths are just larger versions of those!

Gus,

Nice report and great pic bro...that is a very unique rocket. Glad you liked the Deuce...wait until you try two C6-5's!!!

Carl

Well you learn something new everyday - Thanks for the references and the picts guys - He's got some really interesting stuff - John

Gus,

Great report :) Hey, anytime you can fly a Deuce's Wild! is a good day of flying (hey, a new slogan! LOL)

Carl's right, wait till you see the Deuce on a pair of C motors!

I didn't know it (dueces wild) flew on anything but c6- even in the wind. Just watch out for the baseball game the coach don't like rockets landing between home plate and the pitchers mound (ohwell no harm done):cool: :D :p

Do you mean the 29mm version or is it really 29" diameter. I looked on Art's site and I think the biggest he has on there in 12.5".

Now a 29" diameter saucer, that would be toooooooo cool.

I've been thinking about buying one of those 12.5" saucers ever since I saw one fly at the last launch. They are GREAT to watch. I believe it was flown on an I211 or I284. Fantastic flight!

I'm at a loss for words... the only thing that's going through my mind right now is...

OH... MY... GAWD!!!!!

That's awesome!!!!

Do you have plans for such a beast available? I'd love to build one, albiet a smaller one.

Really is a testament to the strength of that bird taking a hit like that on landing.

Originally posted by Omega_D
Do you mean the 29mm version or is it really 29" diameter. I looked on Art's site and I think the biggest he has on there in 12.5".

Nope, I meant 29mm. That's the confusing thing about saucers & the like... They are usually referred to by their MMT size, not overall diameter. I think the 29mm Qubit is ~7" tall & 10" diameter.

And that big saucer is AMAZING! I have been considering building one for my L3...but that won't be anytime soon ;) A "smaller" (like 18" diameter) for use with 54mm motors is more likely to be a near-future project.

Originally posted by Omega_D
Do you have plans for such a beast available? I'd love to build one, albiet a smaller one.

Here's a sketch showing the rib and shroud dimensions. All dimensions are in terms of the motor tube OD. I've built 24 mm (10" diameter), 54 mm (23" diameter), and the 98 mm (40" diameter). The small one has 1/32 plywood ribs and cardstock shrouds, the others have plywood ribs and 1/16" plywood shrouds.

This is a bottom view of the 54 mm version. The side pods are the same tubing as the motor mount. The rib in line with the tube is cut off and attaches to the side tube. The adjacent ribs on each side are thinned where they go past the side tubes and attach to the motor tube. This was a prototype for the large saucer and each side tube contained a timer and parachute. It flys perfectly well without chutes, landing on the front of the motor.

Back