• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Destination Moon Luna STL Files

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had a few people ask about these STL files so I wanted to post information here. I created this rocket design inspired by the Luna rocket from the 1950 film, Destination Moon - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destination_Moon_(film).

See launch video here (elongated model w/ 3 fins at 90 degrees):

This model went through a number of prototypes and testing (test prints, swing tests, test flights, etc...) and is quite fine tuned. The picture #1 shows the pieces included in this set - tapered body tube slotted for fin mounting w/ integrated motor mount and engine retainer cap as well as nose cone, end pods, kick stand, and fin templates. Body includes integrated motor mount and engine retainer cap is hidden in boat tail to maintain a clean / elegant retro rocket look (see picture #2). All parts print without supports and models launch w/ 13mm Mini Estes Engines.

I am asking for $5 for these Luna designs (includes STL files but not the actual rocket). Please message me and I will send my paypal info and will send you a link to download a zip file with all files (and build instructions / advice when needed). I am also happy to make tweaks if you encounter problems or have feedback. Buyers get rights to use the files to print the various versions of the rocket as many times as they want but I do ask that you not resell the rockets or distribute the STL files to others.

1628691761736.png 1628691830979.png 1628691801769.jpeg
I have included several variations including both original (measured from several depictions including some "scale" diagrams) as well as elongated (closer match to sleeker look on promotional poster) versions of the model. You can see these versions in picture 3 above and 4 below (elongated body weigh 25 grams printed in ABS plastic). The original Luna style is slotted for 2 larger fins/wings w/ smaller tail fin + kickstand (all at 90 degree angles to each other). There is a second version included with wings angled downward by 15 degrees and there is another version with 4x symmetrical larger slots (picture 5). For the elongated model I also included a 3 symmetrical slot version (picture 6 was made with this version) as well as an un-slotted version so you can add your own lots or surface mount your fins. I also provide options for printing nose cones as a single part or in two parts (depends on your printer, type of nose weights you may want to use, etc...). I print with brims to be since the body tubes are quite tall and make little contact with print surface (I also have a heated print bed). The short model will need 5-7grams of nose weight and the larger model may need 2-3 grams of nose weight (my first launch was stable with no nose weight) but this all depends on your build, weight of fins, amount of body sanding, your printer, etc...

1628691844286.jpeg 1628691874611.jpeg 1628691911904.jpeg 1628692016460.jpeg 1628693663234.jpeg1628692031818.jpeg

Note: I used to publish STL files for free but after hundreds of people downloaded them and I never got a tip (and after I saw some people selling products with my designs included), I decided to start asking for a small amount to try to help me cover the cost of filament.

Last edited:
FYI -- here is the OR simulation I made for this. Not sure OR models boat tails perfectly but this is best I could model when this was made. This is for the elongated model...

1628970110544.png

Here is the shorter version w/ 10g in nose (bit heavy)...

1628970194433.png

and 4-fin short model...

1628970275352.png

Back