Destination Moon (1950 film)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Just saw it for the first time on TCM during their 30 Days of Oscars series. Well worth seeing. They were trying to be as accurate as possible.

"Pal commissioned an initial screenplay from screenwriters James O'Hanlon and Rip Van Ronkel, but science fiction writer Robert A. Heinlein contributed significantly to Destination Moon's final screenplay, also serving as the film's technical adviser. Certain story elements from his 1947 juvenile novel Rocket Ship Galileo were adapted for use in the film's final screenplay. Heinlein also published a tie-in novella, Destination Moon, based on the screenplay. The film's storyline also resembles portions of Heinlein's novel The Man Who Sold the Moon, which he wrote in 1949 but did not publish until 1951, a year after the Pal film opened."

https://www.amazon.com/Destination-Moon-John-Archer/dp/6305761078

I noticed these interesting parallels with Apollo:

Destination Moon:

"By the grace of God, and in the name of the United States of America, I take possession of this planet on behalf of, and for the benefit of all mankind."

Apollo:

"...for all mankind" on Apollo 11 plaque.

-------

Destination Moon:

"Can you give us your first impressions of the moon, Dr. Cargraves?
Well, I'll try. The first impression is one of utter barrenness and desolation."

Apollo:

"Magnificent desolation." - Buzz Aldrin

-------
Destination Moon:

"The chaffing suits we wear over our pressure suits are in different colors.
Why?
For identification."

Apollo (perhaps NASA should have watched the movie):

"From Apollo 13 onward, the Commanders had arm, leg, and helmet stripes on their suits so that they could be distinguished from the LMPs in mission photographs."

Destination Moon can be a little clunky in spots and the “everyman” character Joe is a bit over the top but it’s a great glimpse into 50’s optimism about space exploration. George Pal’s other SF epics - When Worlds Collide, War of the Worlds, and Conquest of Space - are some of the best SF movies of any era. Well, maybe not CoS, it’s not as bad as it’s reputation - the special effects of the 50s just weren’t quite good enough to portray what Pal and director Byron Haskins were trying to show. Too bad CoS was considered a flop, the studio cancelled the sequel to When Worlds Collide which, if it had followed the book, would’ve been pretty nifty.

those powerful engines and crushing acceleration that pulled their faces into a grimace, and then there is the magnetic boots(sticky shoes)… I suspect that mag-soles wouldn't go over to well to-day what with magnetic data storage.
Rex

Latest posts

Back