Desperately need an "ignore thread" function

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have requested this before, seems like a good time to renew it.

I would pay cash money right now to have an "ignore thread" option. This would hide the thread from "New Posts", Forum listings, whatever. I really need to be able to hide all (or at least most) of the Coronavirus threads.

I understand that I am not required to click on them and read them, but they are always in front of my face and impossible to ignore. I would so dearly love to be able to click on the "New Posts" link and see, you know, Rocket Stuff.

There have been a few other dumpster-fire threads over the years that I likewise would have preferred to have hidden from my existence, but right now it's almost completely about the uncontrolled proliferation of coronavirus threads.

It is unclear to me if Xenforo has any such function available, but if so please consider it.

Thanks.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I have made a forum for all but cwbullet's technical thread which will stay in WateringHole.
And @neil_w I have blocked you seeing the new forum.

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'll see what can be done.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I've asked the developer about getting that extension for the forum. The upgrade would be a good time to install it. He says that he can get it for us. I'll have to check the settings after the upgrade. It will be useful.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Good morning guys. Sorry I was not around last night, but even my computer occasionally does not want to recognize the update/server change immediately.
Yes. We do have the ignore function for a thread. The only problem I have is that as Site Admin I really should not use it.
But I sure hope it comes in handy for all of you that get a few of the threads are just nonsense or raise your blood pressure.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anything that’s posted in the Coronavirus thread will not show up as new post. There was more Covid 19 threads than there were rocketry threads so Angie made the new sub forum. Only way to see what’s new there is to go directly to that forum.
Now that we have the ability to ignore threads, or even entire forums, would it be possible to allow posts in threads in the Coronavirus Forum to appear in New Posts?

Neil_W - would that bother you? I can live with it either way.

mikec

Reaction score
If I'm ignoring a forum, I don't want any trace of that forum to show up. I'm not sure what the point of ignoring it would be otherwise.

Inevitably that means that some posts will be missed by some people. Posting in the most relevant and least controversial forum possible is the best solution IMHO. And it would also help if the post was about rocketry. :)

I guess we could have a forum that no one could ignore for important posts, but I suspect that would get abused.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm ignoring a forum, I don't want any trace of that forum to show up. I'm not sure what the point of ignoring it would be otherwise.

Inevitably that means that some posts will be missed by some people. Posting in the most relevant and least controversial forum possible is the best solution IMHO. And it would also help if the post was about rocketry. :)

I guess we could have a forum that no one could ignore for important posts, but I suspect that would get abused.
I think you misunderstood. With the new Ignore Forum or Ignore Thread options you have the ability to choose to never see those forums listed in New Posts. That’s the way it should be and I applaud Angie for getting us that capability.
However, the way it’s configured now, it appears that all of us have had the Coronavirus virus blocked from appearing in New Posts, even if we want to watch the forum or watch a thread within that forum. That decision was made for good reason before the “ignore thread” or “ignore forum” capability was added, but is now no longer needed. I’m just asking for that to be changed some each of us can choose for ourselves. Anyone who wants to ignore it still would be able to.

mikec

Reaction score
Sorry, Steve, I did misunderstand. I thought we had just all been set to ignore that forum by default but that people who wanted to could press the "watch" button and go back to seeing it.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, Steve, I did misunderstand. I thought we had just all been set to ignore that forum by default but that people who wanted to could press the "watch" button and go back to seeing it.
No problem. I’m pretty sure the people who do ignore it are all smarter than me anyway! 🙂

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'm going to turn on the New Posts for the Corona forum. mikec, I'm pretty sure I have you hard blocked from seeing anything from that forum, so really should not effect you.

Anyone else can ignore that forum.
We will give it a try.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to turn on the New Posts for the Corona forum. mikec, I'm pretty sure I have you hard blocked from seeing anything from that forum, so really should not effect you.

Anyone else can ignore that forum.
We will give it a try.
Thank you very much!

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Now that we have the ability to ignore threads, or even entire forums, would it be possible to allow posts in threads in the Coronavirus Forum to appear in New Posts?

Neil_W - would that bother you? I can live with it either way.
Well, I don't own the feature, so it's not up to me.

That being said, now that the Ignore Forum capability is here, I would be happy to have Angie completely undo any special treatment the coronavirus forum was getting (including the secret magical "hide forum" that was applied to my account). As long as all that stuff is (correctly) in a separate forum, I should be able to do a "hide forum" and have the same effect as before, except now under my control.

BTW, reading the forum is positively blissful using the Ignore feature on toxic threads. :)

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I don't own the feature, so it's not up to me.

That being said, now that the Ignore Forum capability is here, I would be happy to have Angie completely undo any special treatment the coronavirus forum was getting (including the secret magical "hide forum" that was applied to my account). As long as all that stuff is (correctly) in a separate forum, I should be able to do a "hide forum" and have the same effect as before, except now under my control.

BTW, reading the forum is positively blissful using the Ignore feature on toxic threads. :)
Thanks! I agree.

mikec

Reaction score
mikec, I'm pretty sure I have you hard blocked from seeing anything from that forum, so really should not effect you.
After you did that, threads from there started showing up in new posts. I tried ignoring the whole forum again and maybe that will help. [EDIT: seems like that worked.]

CoyoteNumber2

Original San Diego High Power Rocketry
Reaction score
Is anyone else still seeing ignored threads in the latest post column?

1588201973333.png