design programs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJG

Reaction score
I am a teacher who, as part of my science curriculum, has my students design, build, and launch a model rocket. In the past I have used Spacecad as the deign program. Some of my students are already talking about next year and would like to try designing a rocket with strap on boosters rather then adding a stage. Is there a design program out there that can do a strap on booster?

Indeed, Rocsim can do strap on booster simulation, but it is one of the more difficult concepts to accurately set up and simulate.

Of note: Rocsim is a paid program (potentially there are education discounts). OpenRocket is a free program the students can download and use to design and simulate single and multi stage rockets. (clustered motors too). Although you can't do strapon boosters with it yet, I believe it is a very useful tool they can start playing around with to learn from (CG vs CP relationship, resulting altitudes from different power motors, etc....)

Also: Check out rocketcontest.org, it is The American Rocket Challenge where students design and build a rocket to lift X number of eggs to a specified altitude (and recover safely within a specified time period). Great thing to look into for school clubs or teams!

Back