Der V1!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetMan

Reaction score
Decals still drying on this one. Decals from Tango Papa except for the iron crosses on the fuselage. I believe from an F-104 kit I built many, many years ago. amazing how well those old decals hold up.

I guess I need to go ahead and build Der Red Max and Der Big red Max clones now to complete the stable!

MetMan

Is this from a kit or a scratch build? I always wanted a V1.

Looks great tho! :cool:

Phil

WiK,

Thanks! It's a scratch build. I went for scale but the measurments went awry somewhere along the way. Still looks pretty good though. The body tube is BT60, tailcone is balsa (from Apogee). Nose cone is Estes plastic. The pulsejet is a T55-50 balsa transition shaped and hollowed out. The balsa tail cone is nice because you can carve slots in it for the pulse jet supports for extra strength.

I believe you may be able to get the Das Modells V1 kit over there in the UK. They show up on ebay from time to time but run at least $35.

It's a great flyer on a C6-3. A C6-5 provides a nice "scale" flight!

I'm saving up transition sections to build the twin pulse jet Soviet version one of these days. Maybe a "Commie Max" scenario!

MetMan

Very nice !

Some of the funkier designed Russian and Chineses missiles have a similar look, all well worth cloning.

Love the colors and decals too. 8)

That is a great looking rocket! I just completed a Der Red Max Clone and hope to get pics of it on soon.

Originally posted by WiK
Is this from a kit or a scratch build? I always wanted a V1.
Rockets & Things show the Das Modell V-1 in their Physics Of Flight section, costing £24.00.

However, a couple of warnings are in order. Firstly, Das Modell kits aren't that wonderful. I don't have the V-1 but I do have their Ariane 5. The body tube is heavy and coarsely wound - it's the only model rocket where I've felt it necessary to fill in the spiral. Secondly, I've seen the Das Modell V-1 in action, and when built stock, it was unstable. Extra nose weight is needed. Get the CG forward of the wings, then it might work.

Got to fly der V1 at Geneseo yesterday. First flight in its der Red Max colors. Fairly breezy day. I loaded it with a C6-5. In the past this has been a little too much delay but the effect is very realistic. Here's a boost shot...

Unfortunately, it either hung a bit on the rod or caught a gust of wind or whatever but went nearly vertical off the rod and was headed for London.

No chance for ejection and it lawn darted and proceded to disassemble itself. Here's the aftermath...

I scooped up the wreckage and didn't give it a real close look until I was home. One wing was off, the other nearly off but at the joints. The pulse jet came off at the joints as well. All easily repairable.

The funny thing is, the nose cone should was damaged extensively but the body tube was barely dinged. I reattached all the parts and I've got a new cone ballasted and ready for a shot of black paint.

Not sure what to do with the battle damage. Leave it as is or try to touch up....

Originally posted by MetMan
Not sure what to do with the battle damage. Leave it as is or try to touch up....
Spray bomb would be tricky with all the decals and brush ends up being too visible as well. I've always wondered how an airbrush would do in a situation like that. Seems it would be easier to blend the damage into the untouched areas.

A Spitfire was shooting at it as it crossed the Channel... just get some bullet hole decals and put them over the damage, to look like that really happened. Oh, and it's a RCMS (Reusable Cruise Missile System) ;)

very cool , I missed this thread the first time.

it does look from the launch pic you posted that something was skewed

the green line is the rod , the orange line is the C/L of the model

Originally posted by stymye
the green line is the rod , the orange line is the C/L of the model

Cool analysis. I checked the launch lug on some of my rods and it slides fine. I suspect a gust of wind caused some issue, especially given the large wing area.

I like the idea of battle damage decals. I've got some decal paper that I just spray painted red that I'm going to use to hide cracks and what not and then put battle damage over that.

Another suggestion would be a "paint pen." I know that Wal-Mart carries them in your basic colors (white, red, black, green, yellow, even silver & gold). I've had good luck touching up dings with them.

Here's a before/after shot of the painted decal technique.

A collage showing the full evolution...

From arms length the patches are barely visible!

A guy brought his Screamin' Mimi to the club meeting today. It was painted red with a black nose and finished off with iron cross decals. He calls it the Screamin' Max and everyone was complementing him on it.

Sorry, no pictures; I did not take my camera to the meeting.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill
A guy brought his Screamin' Mimi to the club meeting today. It was painted red with a black nose and finished off with iron cross decals. He calls it the Screamin' Max and everyone was complementing him on it.

Sorry, no pictures; I did not take my camera to the meeting.

Bill

I recall seeing pictures of this model on the forum already. Didn't he modify the Red Max decals so the skull had its mouth open... Like it was screaming?

Launched her this afternoon. I might have to adjust the nose weight, though. The V1 now has a feature in which it arcs over horizontal and rights itself--pulse jet up. Strictly short delays in this mode! I might just leave it this way for launches on our field--it's pretty cool!

Here's a pic my 11 year old took in flight. Apparently he's the photographer of the family!

OK, one more and I'll give it a rest. Paint Shop Pro enhancement...

Launched her this afternoon. I might have to adjust the nose weight, though. The V1 now has a feature in which it arcs over horizontal and rights itself--pulse jet up.
This suggests to me that it is marginally stable. It tips over at or shortly after launch; then, with some or all of the propellant burnt, the tail is lighter so the CG moves forward; the rocket becomes stable and continues on its new course.

My A9 did the same thing on its first flight. I stuffed some more clay into the nose to move the CG permanently further forward, and now it flies perfectly on a B6-4, even in a good breeze.

Originally posted by adrian
This suggests to me that it is marginally stable. It tips over at or shortly after launch; then, with some or all of the propellant burnt, the tail is lighter so the CG moves forward; the rocket becomes stable and continues on its new course.

Agreed. I weighed the pre and post accident nose cone and the new cone is 10g lighter than the old one. I'm a little torn, though. I kinda like the horizontal flight profile!

I'm a little torn, though. I kinda like the horizontal flight profile!

Now to fly it on a chuffing AP motor to simulate a pulsejet...

Bill

Latest posts

Back