DER RED MAX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickershock23

Reaction score
Well its ready to fly, and for me this is just way to pretty. I may have to leave it on the shelf for a while before I go crash it.

It's 5.5" diameter (thanks performance hobbies) has a 54mm central and 3 29mm outboards.

I plan on a maiden flight of a central K695R and airstarting 3 H180's at about 3-4 seconds...

Its duel deploy with a great purple and black chute I bought on an auction here.
The electronics are perfectflite Hialt and a perfectflite timer for the airstarts.

Oh yeah and the custom vinyl decals are by stickershock23.com :D

DER RED 1.jpg

DER RED 2.jpg

DER RED 4.jpg

NICE!! I was looking at making an 11.5" dia. one for some fun flights on 2 grain 6" motors. After seeing this I just might, and get you to do the decals :)

Ben

Well its ready to fly, and for me this is just way to pretty. I may have to leave it on the shelf for a while before I go crash it.

It's 5.5" diameter (thanks performance hobbies) has a 54mm central and 3 29mm outboards.

I plan on a maiden flight of a central K695R and airstarting 3 H180's at about 3-4 seconds...

Its duel deploy with a great purple and black chute I bought on an auction here.
The electronics are perfectflite Hialt and a perfectflite timer for the airstarts.

Oh yeah and the custom vinyl decals are by stickershock23.com :D

Looks great in 5.5" .....

Ah, go ahead and fly it. Looks like you put a lot of work into making it dual deploy should be a great flight. Is it a LOC nose cone and 5.5" airframe?

I have one of those AeroTech hats from LDRS a long time ago!

Great looking rocket. I have always liked the DER RED MAX. I am starting to build a 7.5" Polecat Thumper with duel deploy and a central 54mm motor with four 54mm outboards. HMMMMM I wonder if I made a different set of fins and maybe adjust the body tube length slightly I could turn it into a DER RED MAX. I See an order for decals in the future.

PS. Besides stickers Mark makes some Really cool rockets. You should see his Mercury Redstone.

we are flying in ceder city for easter weekend, It may go up then, but I want it to stay pretty for Rocstock in june...

well see if my luck is good on easter, if it is it will fly.

by the way your all invited to come fly with us.. its apr. 9 10 11 and 12th.

anything goes, bring a pad and fly! soft landing zone. BBQ and a few beers with some close friends..

contact me if anyones interested! come on you got to say "I've flown within a a few miles of Aerotech and Weco "(they make AP for the shuttle and more)

Looks Great!!! I have to re-make a 6" version. I have all the parts - I'll be contacting you soon for a quote on the decals...

That's actually my 8". It's still in good shape only flown once...

The 6" was my L2 Rocket. Flew it several times...a bit of a mishap on the last flight...

My L1 was on a 3" DRM...

So I need to remake the 6". I will send you the size when I get started.

Thanks again. Looking forward to seeing your lift off shots.

Todd

That's actually my 8". It's still in good shape only flown once...

The 6" was my L2 Rocket. Flew it several times...a bit of a mishap on the last flight...

My L1 was on a 3" DRM...

So I need to remake the 6". I will send you the size when I get started.

Thanks again. Looking forward to seeing your lift off shots.

Todd

Guess your right that does look a little big...
seems you have a red max fetish... Good choice. Honestly for me this is my first, I always wanted one. just never got the right opportunity.

I added a few more details, the white in the crosses and the "R" in RED and a little custom stuff of my own.

I know the second one is not "Stock" but it sure is funny. its on the back so its only visible OFF the launch pad.. :D

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

That is funny!!! I like that!!!

The White in the Iron Cross is correct. I have seen other after market decals that do not have the white to the cross!!! So you are one up some of the competition on that!!!

I like the white in the R as well...

They look great!!!

Last edited:
That is funny!!! I like that!!!

The White in the Iron Cross is correct. I have seen other after market decals that do not have the white to the cross!!! So you are one up some of the competition on that!!!

I like the white in the R as well...

They look great!!!

You seem to know these very well, do you remember if the bullet holes in the lettering were white or cut out so the red shows through?

its funny when I was making these I found dozens of different images but no two were the same.

I recall that on the original, the bullet holes would be red (or orange - if you used the alternate paint color as specified by Estes).

A great source is the old Estes Catalogs - which you can find on the web...I used to have a direct link to them - but don't since I changed PC's.

Also, the new Estes Kit has the correct decal colors - they will show you which are white, which are filled with white & which are black...

I was lucky, when I built my first after getting back into the hobby about 8 years ago...there was an original DRM hanging in the hobby store in Phoenix, AZ. They were kind enough to let me take that and get the correct measurements and decal details...

Hope this helps...

Awesome, Thanks. I think thats how I am going to offer them.

white on the crosses, white cross on the "R" and the bullet holes cut out. I also offer the old style X882 decal!

Very nice rocket Mark! I'll be getting back to you in the near future, I'm rebuilding my 5.5" Goblin.....

:D

OH, BTW, I'm almost ready for paint on the "Cherry Bomb". I'll be posting pics in the next couple of weeks. Gotta do the ground testing before I paint it.

Very nice rocket Mark! I'll be getting back to you in the near future, I'm rebuilding my 5.5" Goblin.....

:D

OH, BTW, I'm almost ready for paint on the "Cherry Bomb". I'll be posting pics in the next couple of weeks. Gotta do the ground testing before I paint it.

Can't wait to see it. good luck on your LIII... remember one thing bro.. BREATH! LOL

Originally Posted by Fade_to_Black

Can't wait to see it. good luck on your LIII... remember one thing bro.. BREATH! LOL

Yeah, for sure! I'm gonna take a lump of coal with me, and just befoere the launch I'm gonna stick it up my butt....... I figure when I pucker up the pressure will turn it into a diamond!!!

:eek:

(That's a Ferris Beuhler reference for those that don't get it.) LOL!!!

Yeah, for sure! I'm gonna take a lump of coal with me, and just befoere the launch I'm gonna stick it up my butt....... I figure when I pucker up the pressure will turn it into a diamond!!!

:eek:

(That's a Ferris Beuhler reference for those that don't get it.) LOL!!!

Ouch... be gental!!!!

do you have a rocsim file for this? it looks like a very cool upscale to try.

No I actually dont, I just upscaled from the original kit. (with a few S.W.A.G.'s for good measure) do a search for Der red max rocsim, and a couple of the stock ones come up!!

Back