Der red max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epoo1973

Reaction score
I’ve never built one of these, so I bit the bullet and got it.
Wish Estes would use vinyl decals instead of water slide for the big ones, but all and all it turned out well!

Attachments

• 219222C7-24D2-4701-99AE-101623965842.jpeg
    219222C7-24D2-4701-99AE-101623965842.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 41
  • D321F093-71D7-47C7-B492-131DDF6AE955.jpeg
    D321F093-71D7-47C7-B492-131DDF6AE955.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 41
  • D3635280-183A-4908-B236-8DA2B2283DC1.jpeg
    D3635280-183A-4908-B236-8DA2B2283DC1.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 38
I love the water slides, but wish they included fed two sets to cover screw ups. I've learned to trim long words into multiple, easier to place, stickers.

If you go to vinyl, sometimes you only get on chance to place the sticker. Like the black stripe on a Loc Goblin. There's no way I'm getting that on straight. I'll paint that on.

I love the water slides, but wish they included fed two sets to cover screw ups. I've learned to trim long words into multiple, easier to place, stickers.

If you go to vinyl, sometimes you only get on chance to place the sticker. Like the black stripe on a Loc Goblin. There's no way I'm getting that on straight. I'll paint that on.
I saw a trick somewhere where you mix in a little dish soap in water and soak the vinyl in there before placing them , it causes the vinyl to slide like a water decal. I havnt personally tried it yet.

I bought mine, not because I liked them, but because I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. Had no interest in a stumpy weird rocket. But nobody is sick of watching them launch. You'd think people would be bored with them by now.

It's one of my favorite rockets. Will be adding a nicer chute soon. Also picked up a 4" and 5.5" Goblin to build.

Trying to figure out, why it's one of my favorites, despite being ugly.........is enlightening.

I saw a trick somewhere where you mix in a little dish soap in water and soak the vinyl in there before placing them , it causes the vinyl to slide like a water decal. I havnt personally tried it yet.
I used to be a Production Manager at a vinyl sign shop, we would use a spray bottle with a few drops of dish washing liquid soap, like Palmolive or similar. Gently agitate the bottle, but don't shake it, just mix the soap and water. Clean your surface first, then degrease it with a wipe of 70% or greater IPA, then spray your surface with the soapy water mix, apply the top edge of your vinyl with the carrier paper still attached, then use a squeegee or credit card to gently burnish the vinyl top to bottom, slowly bringing the vinyl to the surface and squeegee the bubbles out. Once it's all down, leave the carrier paper in place and burnish down a little harder to make sure you have all the liquid and bubbles out. Let it sit for a few minutes then slowly peel the carrier paper up, backwards along itself, not straight out away from the surface.

Back