Der Red Max & Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Fisher

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out why Estes would not re-release these two kits which have to be two of their most popular/ best selling kits ever. Then again, I guess that's what makes cloning them so cool! O well, their loss.

You are right there is alot of interest in them, but that may only be within the forum, although it could be a universal thing. If it was in would be beneficial to estes to kit these as they would probably make a good deal of money

I could be wrong, kitting something is a big deal, but I wouldnt know.....Jim?

I was thinking the same thing today . Maybe a email or letter writing campain might get Estes off there duff .

John

I can't imagine the "new" Estes making the kits any better than John at ThrustAero. His clone kits include Kevlar thread for a proper shock cord attachment...quality mylar chute/streamer....nice balsa...good decals....and the good, black, laser cut centering rings. About the only thing that would be nicer from a "big" company would be a plastic nose cone. But that's not such a big deal to me.

Don't wait for Estes, just give ThrustAero an e-mail for the Goblin clone kit.

As far as the der Red Max, I've seen some decent looking clone kits show up on eBay from time to time. You can get everything you need for a DRM clone at Balsa Machining www.balsamachining.com except the decals. For the decals you can go to www.tangopapadecals.com or search this board...someone (can't remember) was offering custom decals.

Instructions are found at https://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm

There you go....Clone Away!

John

My clones....

Clones.jpg

Buyer beware on those Red Max clones you see float through! Be darn sure that the white is actually printed in the decal sheet, rather than being "clear." I've heard/read this complaint numerous times on purchased Red Max clones.

I would recommend our very own Astronboy for those Red Max decals. Then go to JimZ's site and just build one. It's quite easy.

Those pics...(drolling all over keyboard) AWESOME!

Please give me some hints on the camo paint job:D :D :D

...hints for camo...

No real secrets. I used Krylon "camo" paint from Wal-Mart...the hunters use it for painting their gear. Tree stands and such.

Flat camo paint and a lots of blue masking tape. Plus lots of patience. I basically copied the "splinter" / "ragged" paint job off of scale V2's from WWII. It kinda makes you go crazy when you mask off each color trying to keep straight what shade goes where.

Once the decals are on, just give it a couple of light coats of Testor's Dull coat. Viola! CamoMax.

My new top secrect project is a BT80 der Red Max with convertable engine mounts. Someone's eBay store has been giving me ideas! (their initials are T.A.) Single 24mm for 24/40 RMS....3 engine cluster w/ dual 18mm and single 24mm...dual 24mm cluster for twin D's....how many combos do you have anyway! Sandman turned me a nose cone this weekend. I've got it drawn up on AutoCAD now, just need some parts.

John

If you have a Screaming Mimi Estes Kit, you have everything you need less the decals to build Der Max. I use the left over whistle tubes for extra 18mm motor tubes. My decals came from Tango Papa, and I traced the fin angles right off the screen from the Jim Z site with the listed fin dimensions. Just cut the body tube 8.5" long. I used the screaming mimi 24mm motor mount. For Der Big Red Max, use the full 18" body tube. The Mimi nose cone is the correct plastic nose cone!:eek: :D

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
I can't for the life of me figure out why Estes would not re-release these two kits which have to be two of their most popular/ best selling kits ever. Then again, I guess that's what makes cloning them so cool! O well, their loss.

I can't speak for the Goblin, but the answer for what keeps the Red Max from reappearing is best stated in two words: politically incorrect. (Although I'm of German heritage and it wouldn't bother me a bit.) Like everyone else has said, both are super easy to clone with either currently available Estes or BMS/Totally Tubular parts.

Hey, I am that 'someone'!! :eek:

Yes, I have Red max decals for $5.00 a set, and the part that should be white, is WHITE, not clear. My Red Max decals also have doubles of everything I could fit on the page, plus a few xtras like the skull from the instructions. Please note: The hands/feet and X882 that are printed in white do not show on this sample, but they are on the finished product!!

Here is a sample view: Note that the Hands/Feet and the X

BTW: OKTurbo: Nice Rockets!!! I am building a camo DRM right now, but I am going for that 'worm' camo look.

Originally posted by OKTurbo
...hints for camo...

No real secrets. I used Krylon "camo" paint from Wal-Mart...the hunters use it for painting their gear. Tree stands and such.

....how many combos do you have anyway! Sandman turned me a nose cone this weekend. I've got it drawn up on AutoCAD now, just need some parts.

John

More than can I count without looking at my catalog. :D

Originally posted by astronboy

Yes, I have Red max decals for $5.00 a set, and the part that should be white, is WHITE, not clear.

I need a set of those, how do I pay you?

clicked on link to check out thrustaero website, clicked on rocket kits and did not see a goblin kit for sale. what's up?

Rob, In their catalog, it is listed along with 11 other classic clones.

Secret Squirrel: I should have a website up in less than a week with complete info about my decals.

Fred
Excelsior Rocketry

Back