Der Mad Max - The Estes Design on Steroids

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. What is the weight (and length) of the blue-tube MMT ?

My MDRM "EX" is completed except for finishing the NC paint, and I was interested in the weights of your version for comparison purposes as I've never yet used blue-tube. Only the kit's NC, BT, and fin shape & design were used. The BT has a CF overly, as do the fins, which have a G10 foundation with cutouts to save weight. The weight of my 3 completed fins are 18.67oz. My RockSim (as-built) model has a K2045 reaching 6,200 ft and Mach 1.37.

Our rockets would make a nice drag race... :y:

Here is the Open Rocket File. All overridden weights are actual numbers weighed on my scale. I am hoping to fly this at LDRS and NYPower. It would be cool to do a drag race. So you know, the Bluetube definitely needs a filler. I use a 1-part Bondo glazing putty. Fills the grooves real well, dries fast, easy to sand and the paint looks real good. This will be heavier and essentially sims to a mile at Mach 1.23 on a K2045, but the fin thickness is the same as the original.

Like the idea of the paint scheme. I was thinking either a hammered white or a desert sand. Black on top, of course.

View attachment Mega Der Red Max on Steroids.ork

Last edited:
Nat at Upscale CNC had designed these with the slots on the outside of the rings and they locked together real well. I had him put the slots on the inside of the rings to lock the fins down on a previous L3 project. Worked very well until I broke a fin. Can't replace it. You also have to assemble the fincan then slide it into a airframe that is slotted all the way to the bottom. But in this case, when I want this thing to break mach, it is good shred insurance.

While I had not planned to do a T-to-T treatment on my fins, I am bonding the finroots to the MT with strips of FG. Using a laminating epoxy and 1.5" wide strips of 6 oz. I attach them to the roots, then cover with a plastic bag of lead shot, which helps seal the glass in place. The interlocking fins should hold everything in place, but this application should help a lot to reduce fin flutter. External fillets will be RocketPoxy.

Der Mad Max 5.jpg

And this is how it looks after the glue has set. A very strong FG internal fillet.

Der Mad Max 5a.jpg

Great thread! I am also collecting parts to build a super MDRM. 54mm motor and PML tubing. The nose cone fits this tubing really well. I am also thinking about an aluninum panel look to the finish, think polished B29 like this. Great thread and will be following!

14022337_627299767436471_6392995702063795091_n.jpg

Great thread! I am also collecting parts to build a super MDRM. 54mm motor and PML tubing. The nose cone fits this tubing really well. I am also thinking about an aluninum panel look to the finish, think polished B29 like this. Great thread and will be following!

That would be sweet looking. Der Enola Gay Max? perhaps?

Cut the airframe and dry fit the whole thing together. The nose cone has a very snug fit, which will be good in a machbusting flight...no drag sep. Looks just like a Mega Der Red Max.... Until you flip it over. Then it looks considerably more nasty. Wickedly nasty.
Der Mad Max 6a.jpg Der Mad Max 6.jpg

So I'm building the same rocket only I'm using all fg airframe and motor tube and rings
I have vacuumed fg my fins once and I'm wondering if I should do another layer
I used this fg cloth from hd
e587efc73199c55370956c4a2448b574.jpg

Thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm building the same rocket only I'm using all fg airframe and motor tube and rings
I used this fg cloth from hd
e587efc73199c55370956c4a2448b574.jpg

Thoughts

And I did confirm it is a 6oz cloth

Surface area of these fins is 294 sq in. or about 1/4 yard. That means the cloth will weigh 1.5 oz. and if you vacuum seal, you will probably need about 2 oz. of epoxy. More weight added to your aft end requires more nose wieght to counter it. You will give up a lot of speed and altitude. This isn't the most aerodynamic bird to begin with.

Surface area of these fins is 294 sq in. or about 1/4 yard. That means the cloth will weigh 1.5 oz. and if you vacuum seal, you will probably need about 2 oz. of epoxy. More weight added to your aft end requires more nose wieght to counter it. You will give up a lot of speed and altitude. This isn't the most aerodynamic bird to begin with.

So a single layer would be fine

So a single layer would be fine

It's a tradeoff. More weight...more strength...lower altitude...lower speed...less likely to shred...less flutter. Depends on what you want the bird to do.

How much weight you putting in your nose
I plan to use 20oz but I'm using a j300 54mm motor

How much weight you putting in your nose
I plan to use 20oz but I'm using a j300 54mm motor
I used ~159g (5.6oz) by opening up the NC, adding a bulkhead (~9" from the NC tip), 2-part foam, and a 1/4-20 threaded rod assembly with an eye bolt. A 54mm CTI J240 yields a SM of 0.98 - 1.33 for a 54mm CTI K635.

The paint scheme ended up being a “Carbon Mist Metallic” for the nose cone and a “Hammered White for the air frame. The decals should show up very well on this. Need to do a couple more coats on the hammered white to cover off the leading edges of the fins. Because they are sanded birch ply, they are just sucking up the paint.
Someone asked about Nose Cone Ballast… Since I am putting electronics there, I am thinking I only need about 6-8 oz.

Decal paper should arrive next week. Then we shall see if it is as cool as In think it will be.

Der Mad Max 8.jpg

Decals are always a struggle when they are as large as those on an MDRM... but home-printed decals are even harder. Still... I think this worked out. Here are finished photos. Unfortunately "the Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla" decal failed. might add that later.

Der Mad Max 9a.jpg Der Mad Max 9b.jpg Der Mad Max 9c.jpg Der Mad Max 9d.jpg Der Mad Max 9e.jpg Der Mad Max 9f.jpg

Who make the cone that will work for this see estes is out of stock for a kit and don't sell the cone

Latest posts

Back