Der Family of Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a pic of my members of the Max family. The "Big Red Max" is a clone, the other two are straight from the bag kits. Only one missing is the Pro Series Max.
fixed.jpg

Just wanted to post a pic of my members of the Max family. The "Big Red Max" is a clone, the other two are straight from the bag kits. Only one missing is the Pro Series Max.
View attachment 263440

Nice Family Photo!

However, you're also missing the Citation Series Der Red Max (KC-2) (it was a boxed kit).

The CDRM had the two-piece, injection molded, PNC-60AH, which is shorter and heaver than the modern blowmolded PNC-60AH. I only just learned about it yesterday, so I thought I'd share that. The DBRM also came with the two-piece nosecone early in it's production.

Last edited:
However, you're also missing the Citation Series Der Red Max (KC-2) (it was a boxed kit).

Actually, it was the same kit. Ested dropped the "Citation" name and changed the kit numbers. This in the mid 70's, around the time all kits were changed from a K-xx, TK-xx (mini-brutes) series to 12xx and 08xx (mini-brutes)

Actually, it was the same kit. Ested dropped the "Citation" name and changed the kit numbers. This in the mid 70's, around the time all kits were changed from a K-xx, TK-xx (mini-brutes) series to 12xx and 08xx (mini-brutes)

However, if you're looking for a complete (all variants) family, the two-piece nosecone versions would be needed.

However, if you're looking for a complete (all variants) family, the two-piece nosecone versions would be needed.

Yes. That was a major change. My original Red Max (1974) had the heavy two piece and my second (1984) has the blow molded one-piece cone. Personally, I preferred the original two-piece version.

Yes. That was a major change. My original Red Max (1974) had the heavy two piece and my second (1984) has the blow molded one-piece cone. Personally, I preferred the original two-piece version.

I just checked and there is a MM version of the Der Red Max... However, it's not from Estes.

As far as I'm concerned, any Red Max is a good Red Max.

Oddly, my fleet has only one Red Max. It has a "Der Big Green Max" and a Mini Max and several other variants including a blue two stager. It might be time for me to build a stock max...

A family of rockets was somebody's dream
Upscales and downscales and what's in-between
Nose cones and templates across the land
Building a fleet for the Family of Max

Back