Der Ed Max Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Altitude was in the neighborhood of 3000' I believe. I ran a bunch of Sims and I feel like they were within the range I actually had. I did have 3 CTI H220(?) smokeys for outboards but I feel like they were most burnt off by the time the L930 came fully alive. Yes, I just used the dremel to cut out the hatch after everything else was done. It's a little rough up close.

I've got no idea what could have gone wrong. I built the motor at home without distractions and made sure all parts were accounted for and I used the stock ignitor it came with.
View attachment 539041
Wow is right. Hope you get to the bottom of the failure. Hate that it happened and especially that it happened to Ed - an awesome theme mash-up for sure.

Sandy.

Very sorry to see that happen to Ed Max. I'll be thinking of that when I see Aces High live tonight.

It was nice camping next to you out there. Sorry about the rocket and flight. Was looking forward to seeing a "rare" black smoke L flight. Hopefully I can make it out to a launch in Utah again sometime. Take care,

Devin Stephens

Got ol' Ed decommissioned... Fin can is salvageable but not sure if I'm going to reuse it or not. Wouldn't take much to fix it up for Ed Max 2.0.... If I was theoretically going to rebuild... 20221007_190654.jpg20221007_190632.jpgBetter yet, the altimeters are repaired and have been tested numerous times in the vacuum chamber with perfect results. The Eggtimer needed a new 10uF capacitor and power cable. The Rrc3 got a new switch terminal block. They will both get some ride along action before I fully trust them.

Got ol' Ed decommissioned... Fin can is salvageable but not sure if I'm going to reuse it or not. Wouldn't take much to fix it up for Ed Max 2.0.... If I was theoretically going to rebuild... View attachment 540835View attachment 540836Better yet, the altimeters are repaired and have been tested numerous times in the vacuum chamber with perfect results. The Eggtimer needed a new 10uF capacitor and power cable. The Rrc3 got a new switch terminal block. They will both get some ride along action before I fully trust them.

Hoping you do resurrect the rocket for sure or at least make the graphics available for others. The DER ED MAX must fly again and often, even if not in the initial configuration.

Sandy.

Sure appears to be a short flight. Can't wait for the next one.

Now I just need to assemble the parts. Easy! 😂 Big shout out to Stickershock for the rockin' decals once again. I'm over the motor cluster option on 2.0 one big 75mm will do the trick. I'm way pleased with the quality of the build. Last version was fine but craftsmanship on the fins wasn't top game. This version is much nicer with attention to detail. It helps using factory tube not sonotube. Got the av bay wired up or mostly wired up in the picture. Can't wait! 20230325_203747.jpg20230325_203811.jpg

Here's the fin fillet detail. Since the graphics are installed before assembly, I cut out vinyl for fillets. Easy. I must say, I've really grown to love rocketpoxy! One more set of fillets then I'll add I fillet in the upper centering ring /airframe joint.
Ken

Attachments

• 20230402_084042.jpg
    20230402_084042.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230402_085432.jpg
    20230402_085432.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back