• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Der Big Red Max nose cone (Estes 072304)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for an Estes 072304 nose cone. It's the 3-inch cone used in Der Big Red Max. I didn't get BAR'ed before Estes discontinued it, but I know a few people snapped them up just because as stand-alone parts, and there are probably also a few DBRMs that have been retired and left their nose cones around. Don't really want to buy a whole DBRM kit just to get the cone. Want hollow plastic, not balsa.

Where are you located? I have one that's surplus from a crash which you could have for the price of shipping, but with shipping costs these days, I'm not sure it's worth it.

BTW, the DBRM hasn't been discontinued and in fact is currently in stock at Estes. Amazon periodically puts it on sale for $22, though according to the thread about that here on TRF, that's lately been only for brief periods.

I've been aware of that thread, but failed to catch the last go-around. Maybe I should just watch that and pick up a couple when (if, unfortunately) it ever comes back around. I've been noodling on the build plans more and have figured out what I might do with the rest of the kit, so I'm more willing to go that route.

Oh, yeah. I wasn't referring to the DBRM kit being discontinued, just the 072304 nose cone as a stand-alone part. Estes CS told me that all the 072304 nose cones they have are assembled into kits, and thus not available for separate sale.
Aha, I get it. I have the same problem with the short 3" cone used in the Big Daddy and Doorknob. I've cannibalized one Big Daddy for its cone already.

All of these nosecones are readily printable. Or do you specifically want the pvc one? There's A Der Red Max preset in my nosecone scad file. Just input the sizes you want or get them by scaling the ork/ rkt file to the size of tube you want to use. Then use the dimensions from that for the nosecone generator. The generic nosecone generator is the oneI used.
Norm

At the time I posted this request, I did not have nor plan to have a 3D printer. I now have one. However, bad_idea hooked me up with a DBRM cone from a rocket he'd crashed before I made that decision. I still would rather just acquire a manufactured NC for a few bucks if it's readily available and cheap, rather than printing one. The awesome thing about the printer is being able to make nose cones and other parts that no one else makes, but it's no replacement for a factory somewhere knocking them out in volume.

I have a queue of NCs for the printer and a long list still to be designed.

At the time I posted this request, I did not have nor plan to have a 3D printer. I now have one. However, bad_idea hooked me up with a DBRM cone from a rocket he'd crashed before I made that decision. I still would rather just acquire a manufactured NC for a few bucks if it's readily available and cheap, rather than printing one. The awesome thing about the printer is being able to make nose cones and other parts that no one else makes, but it's no replacement for a factory somewhere knocking them out in volume.

I have a queue of NCs for the printer and a long list still to be designed.
Good luck with your printing adventure. There's a lot more information available now than when I started making my balls of string... 😁. My first choice would be to use the proper nosecone. But here in Australia the kits are about triple your cost... So ,for me its easier to print and use post tubes for the body. Lately I've been making my own custom tubes using water activated paper tape spiral wound on a mandrel (6" pvc) at 7 layers to make it strong.

I just finished printing the 3" BRM nose cone with an AV Bay inside. It's not quick to do a quality print, but faster than me waiting to find an alternative. I ran out of black PLA+, so I had to finish with Electric Blue. It's all getting filled, sanded, and painted anyway, so I'm not concerned. It's lighter than the stock nose cone with paint:
  • Stock, 2 coats of primer, two coats of top color: 146gm
  • Raw printed nose cone: 137gm

Here's where I got the model: https://www.printables.com/model/282535-der-big-red-max-nosecone-estes-or-loc-3

NOTE: If you do go the 3D print route, do not mix the STLs up. There are files for both BRM and 3" LOC BTs. They are NOT compatible. Don't ask me how I know this... (ID-10T Error)

Attachments

• 20230423_150645[1].jpg
    20230423_150645[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230423_150655[1].jpg
    20230423_150655[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
But they have the 4" now 😉
Interesting. Similar (same) profile as the LOC cone, but a dollar or so cheaper. Does anyone know the weight of the Estes cone? OpenRocket shows 222g, more than twice the weight of the LOC cone, but I'm doubtful of that. If anything, my guess would have been the Estes cone would be lighter.

Edit: per another thread it's around the same weight as the LOC cone.

Also, I notice Estes is now free shipping over $100, not $50 like they were.

Last edited:
Interesting. Similar (same) profile as the LOC cone, but a dollar or so cheaper. Does anyone know the weight of the Estes cone? OpenRocket shows 222g, more than twice the weight of the LOC cone, but I'm doubtful of that. If anything, my guess would have been the Estes cone would be lighter.

And my discount code only worked 1 time and will not work again

Last edited:

Lots more discussion of the 4-inch cones over here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...ries-ii-sneek-peek.180098/page-2#post-2438458

Correct me if I am wrong but the Loc nose does not have the blunt end like the stock Red Maxx has. If the OP is still looking I have one I got from Estes a few years ago,probable never opened the box.

Back