Der Big Red Max Build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Scott_650

Reaction score
Yeah, kind of a gap. It's surprising that with the parts they do have that some aren't kitted up. They clearly have a lot of those PSII parts. Motor tubes, retainers, shock cords, chutes, body tubes and nosecones. Fins are the piece preventing profits?
Lack of in-house production motors is why we don’t see a return of the PSII builder kits - even the lightest version probably wouldn’t meet Estes’ stability standards on a BP 29mm motor. During the time the Leviathan, MDRM, etc were in the catalog Estes sold relabeled Aerotech motors to fly them, since motor sales are the primary profit generator for Estes it’s not likely we’re going to see any of those kits return.

TigerHawk

Reliving the good ole days
Reaction score
I’m kicking around building a 3 inch goblin. Maybe I should skip the 3 inch and build a 4 inch instead.
Might as well build a 5.5” and 7.5” diameter Goblin too.

TigerHawk

Reliving the good ole days
Reaction score

Back_at_it

Reaction score
Time to wrap this one up. We got one warm day last week so I took advantage of it an got the paint sprayed on. I tried something different with this one. I picked up a can of Ace brand Safety Red. I read good reviews and thought the color would work nicely.

Sprayed on three coats about 15 mins apart. The Nose Cone was painted with Krylon Gloss Black. I let everything sit for a few days. The Ace Brand paint took a full day before it stopped being tacky. After day two it's hard as a rock. I'm actually liking the finish more than the Krylon brand.

32.jpg

Next it was time for the vinyl.

33.jpg

35.jpg

Once the rocket was completely assembled, Vinyl installed, full recovery gear etc. I inserted the largest motor I plan to run in this rocket which is a G74-9 and added nose weight until I got the stability where I wanted it. I cut the bottom off the nose cone and added 2oz of BB's using 30min epoxy. Once that was cured I added a plywood bulkhead and screw eye.

30.jpg

With the nose weight the CG is sitting right at 19.75" from the tip of the nose cone and stability is 1.18.

Finally I decided to weigh the finished rocket. This with the Shock Cord and Parachute installed but no motor. Finished weight of 20.3oz.

36.jpg

Red Max Sim Pic.jpg

Last edited:

DigBaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Really, really nice!!!

Got an Ace a mile away, so point noted on the paint.

Just hosed primer on my MDRM. You're definitely faster :)

Scott_650

Reaction score
Really, really nice!!!

Got an Ace a mile away, so point noted on the paint.

Just hosed primer on my MDRM. You're definitely faster :)
Ace Premium is pretty good stuff - they don’t have the range of colors that Rusto or Krylon comes in but that’s really kind of ok since everything I build seems to end up one combination or another of red, white, blue, black, green or orange with the occasional yellow 😉

Back_at_it

Reaction score
Ace Premium is pretty good stuff - they don’t have the range of colors that Rusto or Krylon comes in but that’s really kind of ok since everything I build seems to end up one combination or another of red, white, blue, black, green or orange with the occasional yellow 😉
I'm pretty happy with it so far. Granted this was only a single color so I don't know how it reacts to multiple colors, clears or cure times. But for simple one color rockets, I like it.