Der Big Red Max Build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Scott_650

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2015
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
732
Location
Louisville OH
Yeah, kind of a gap. It's surprising that with the parts they do have that some aren't kitted up. They clearly have a lot of those PSII parts. Motor tubes, retainers, shock cords, chutes, body tubes and nosecones. Fins are the piece preventing profits?
Lack of in-house production motors is why we don’t see a return of the PSII builder kits - even the lightest version probably wouldn’t meet Estes’ stability standards on a BP 29mm motor. During the time the Leviathan, MDRM, etc were in the catalog Estes sold relabeled Aerotech motors to fly them, since motor sales are the primary profit generator for Estes it’s not likely we’re going to see any of those kits return.
 

TigerHawk

Reliving the good ole days
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Messages
580
Reaction score
298
Location
Tennessee
I’m kicking around building a 3 inch goblin. Maybe I should skip the 3 inch and build a 4 inch instead.
Might as well build a 5.5” and 7.5” diameter Goblin too.

 

TigerHawk

Reliving the good ole days
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Messages
580
Reaction score
298
Location
Tennessee

Back_at_it

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2019
Messages
937
Reaction score
800
Time to wrap this one up. We got one warm day last week so I took advantage of it an got the paint sprayed on. I tried something different with this one. I picked up a can of Ace brand Safety Red. I read good reviews and thought the color would work nicely.

Sprayed on three coats about 15 mins apart. The Nose Cone was painted with Krylon Gloss Black. I let everything sit for a few days. The Ace Brand paint took a full day before it stopped being tacky. After day two it's hard as a rock. I'm actually liking the finish more than the Krylon brand.

32.jpg


Next it was time for the vinyl.

33.jpg


35.jpg


Once the rocket was completely assembled, Vinyl installed, full recovery gear etc. I inserted the largest motor I plan to run in this rocket which is a G74-9 and added nose weight until I got the stability where I wanted it. I cut the bottom off the nose cone and added 2oz of BB's using 30min epoxy. Once that was cured I added a plywood bulkhead and screw eye.

30.jpg


With the nose weight the CG is sitting right at 19.75" from the tip of the nose cone and stability is 1.18.

Finally I decided to weigh the finished rocket. This with the Shock Cord and Parachute installed but no motor. Finished weight of 20.3oz.

36.jpg


Red Max Sim Pic.jpg
 
Last edited:

DigBaddy

Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Joined
Feb 19, 2021
Messages
382
Reaction score
654
Location
SE, WI
Really, really nice!!!

Got an Ace a mile away, so point noted on the paint.

Just hosed primer on my MDRM. You're definitely faster :)
 

Scott_650

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2015
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
732
Location
Louisville OH
Really, really nice!!!

Got an Ace a mile away, so point noted on the paint.

Just hosed primer on my MDRM. You're definitely faster :)
Ace Premium is pretty good stuff - they don’t have the range of colors that Rusto or Krylon comes in but that’s really kind of ok since everything I build seems to end up one combination or another of red, white, blue, black, green or orange with the occasional yellow 😉
 

Back_at_it

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2019
Messages
937
Reaction score
800
Ace Premium is pretty good stuff - they don’t have the range of colors that Rusto or Krylon comes in but that’s really kind of ok since everything I build seems to end up one combination or another of red, white, blue, black, green or orange with the occasional yellow 😉
I'm pretty happy with it so far. Granted this was only a single color so I don't know how it reacts to multiple colors, clears or cure times. But for simple one color rockets, I like it.
 
Top