Demistify tip to tip fiberglassing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

english_1969

Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting ready to do my first fiberglass job. I want to strengthen some plywood fins as they are not TTW. My main reason is to simply make a first attempt at doing this.

I've found many posts on the technique so I feel pretty good about that. My question is which epoxy and hardener combination is typically used. West seems to have a LOT of options.

Also, do I/should I get the pump system? If this goes well, I may use the technique on more rockets.

Where's the best place (i realize this is an opinion) to get the epoxy and any convenient mixing items (cups, rollers, peel-ply). I've done searches and know that I can get it from many places, I'm looking for opinions - think convenience, one-stop-shop.

Also, do I need denatured alchohol for thinning?

Thanks,
W

I did my first fiberglass job two weeks ago and had a very positive experience.

I went to West Marine and bought everything I needed there (Resin, hardener, fillers, fiberglass)

Absolutely get the pumps, it makes it so easy to get the right ratios.

I was fiberglassing a 20"diameter tube and it would have been near torture without them. (Convenience)

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to buy more resin and probably one other kind of hardener.

I went through a whole quart in less than an hour (that will not happen to you)

Also very important to my success was that I had 2 people helping me, who knew what they were doing. Learning from someone hands on is SOOO helpful. (No matter how many times you watch Tfish's videos)

Hopefully that helps.

Bryce

Hi,

I am getting ready to do my first fiberglass job. I want to strengthen some plywood fins as they are not TTW. My main reason is to simply make a first attempt at doing this.

I've found many posts on the technique so I feel pretty good about that. My question is which epoxy and hardener combination is typically used. West seems to have a LOT of options.

Also, do I/should I get the pump system? If this goes well, I may use the technique on more rockets.

Where's the best place (i realize this is an opinion) to get the epoxy and any convenient mixing items (cups, rollers, peel-ply). I've done searches and know that I can get it from many places, I'm looking for opinions - think convenience, one-stop-shop.

Also, do I need denatured alchohol for thinning?

Thanks,
W
I like West Systems for layups. If you work a lot in warm or hot weather, I suggest you use their slow hardener. If you are doing layups in cool or cold conditions, fast is fine. I have both and use both depending upon conditions. I would say I prefer slow for layups most of the time. I buy West Systems from a local marine supply store. If you get the pumps, measuring is much easier - worth the investment, IMO, and they can be left in the can and last several years.

Any old cups will work. I use 2oz PLASTIC dixie cups for small batches. If you're doing a larger batch, a plastic plate or bowl or pie plate is good. Cups and large batches are a bad combination as the epoxy will kick too fast, get hot (really hot), and harden in the cup. Cups can be had at grocery or big box stores.

I personally haven't had much luck with rollers, although many folks use them. I use the cheapest paint brushes I can find, which are the 1", 2", and 3" chip brushes that Harbor Freight sells, and I buy them a box at a time to have around whenever needed. Throw them away after 1 use.

You shouldn't need to thin the West Systems epoxy for your layup, but denatured alcohol is a lifesaver when it comes time for cleanup.

Good Luck, --Lance.

Last edited:
Denatured alchol... never thought of using that for clean up.. Much better than grinding it of the shop floor.

Tools:
West epoxy, read thier temparature pot time vs. what you aim to accomplish
i laminated my 8" concrete tube largly with 5min hobby epoxy... just use the hardener your comfortable using.

Part of the issue with epoxy is confinement. if you have any ammount that becomes confined, it cures faster. so for laminating, i try the "pie pan" from lance is closest or plate.. that way i can thin it out across the plate, and keep it from getting gelatin like. Often boxes get razor cut for this purpouse.

I have found rolling or brushing epoxy on the fins and body tube first, to be the best way to get the first layer on. a very light coat so you can tack the cloth on. and promotes fully wetting the cloth.

lay the cloth then wet out with pressure. (why i use rollers) it allows less epoxy. But, brushing it on, is way easier and how i do it if i am feeling lazy.

If you can time your second layer of fin lamination, with the first layer becoming tacky... it makes the job MUCH MUCH easier... laying the cloth gets easier. the first coat of epoxy is not necessary, and can be wetted out same as first layer. You find the second layer if applied while tacky wont move around on you like the first layer did.

do your fillets first, then glass over the radius.... (bigger radius = easier FG layup)

then, i fill the FG weave with microballoons, or body filler.. or sometimes both.
then filler primer. that way i can make them smooth without sanding the weave.

I also cut of the excess weave before the epoxy becomes full on hard. saves razor blades, and struggle. it will cut 3 times easier if you trim while curing.

I like using West systems for almost everything....Aeropoxy is great stuff but that's another thread. West is really easy and simple and the pump system ensures consistency in batches so you cure uniformly. There are alot of different types and weights of glass, for different apps you'll have to experiment with those. Alot of these supplies you can get anywhere. I always try to support the vendors that support us.....so if it's only a couple bucks difference I buy from a rocketry vendor....lastly let common sense rule and have fun!!!! Glassing can be fun and educational! ALWAYS wear protective gear! Good luck!

Back