Deltie and CiCi tips?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I just purchased a Deltie and a CiCi for a great bargain on eBay ($18.00 total!). Believe it or not, these will be my first boost gliders other than the infamous Estes styrofoam Space Shuttle. Does anyone have any pointers for me? I am flying on a fairly small field. Is there any way to trim the gliders so they are less likely to fall prey to the rocket-eating trees?

I have the CiCi, so I can really only comment on that one. Once I put it together, it was ready to fly. I hand tested it a few times in the front yard and it flew great. My understanding is that Edmonds gliders are RTF once assembled, but I'd hand test 'em anyways! The A8-3 I flew mine on made for a somewhat long flight (compared to other gliders I've owned), so you may want to keep that one under wraps until you can find a larger field. Otherwise, happy flying!

My son has the Deltie and I have a CiCi2 (two-stage dual-glider version of the CiCi). Edmonds kits have all of the incidence angles built in. Easiest things in the world to build. The Deltie is *very* light weight and will stay aloft forever. Use a little clay in one of the joints between the fin plate and the wing to make it fly circles (instead of a straight line for that nasty tree). Use the smallest motor you can for starters. The CiCi is a bit heavier...won't stay up as long. But I'd still add some clay to make it turn.

For even more fun, get yourself an Ecee. I fly mine every time I go out and never get tired of it. Its also very good for small fields since it is a bit heavier.

I think if have a least one of every glider Robert has released,
beta test and up. Nearly all of them have been a breeze to build and an absolute joy to fly. I am not a good glider builder, it is and has always been my weakest Mod-roc skill. One of the things Mr. Edmonds will stress, if he doesn't ask the builder to airfoil or taper wings/fins and such;DON'T. I ignored this advice on my first delti, which wouldn't glide at all. Delti's are designed to be flown slab winged, several other kits are also.

Second; don't over finish, decorate with magic markers if you like, sometimes a coat of 50/50 thinned clear on large span wings,
but refrain from priming and painting your gliders. Model plane tissue can be used on some of the larger models and the new Arcie-II with causion. Better yet ask Robert the question directly, I know he lurks here, I'd think if you ask, he'd give you an answer to a specific question.... Ya listening Robert?:)

Here's what my daughter did to decorate her EC-13's, it flys very well.

Originally posted by illini
For even more fun, get yourself an Ecee. I fly mine every time I go out and never get tired of it. Its also very good for small fields since it is a bit heavier.

I have never seen any fly personally, but I have heard GREAT things about them and I heard the Ecee is a something to see. I am looking one of the Ecees we have up for sale right now and it is huge!

There are two versions of the Ecee. The 13mm Ecee - which I have - and a 24mm Ecee Thunder. I don't have the Ecee Thunder...it *is* huge with something like a 27" span. I was thinking of getting one until the Arcie II came out...got one of those instead. :D

Can't go wrong with an Edmonds kit.

There are two versions of the Ecee. The 13mm Ecee - which I have - and a 24mm Ecee Thunder. I don't have the Ecee Thunder...it *is* huge with something like a 27" span. I was thinking of getting one until the Arcie II came out...got one of those instead. :D

Woops...yeah I was speaking of the Thunder. It is 24mm and looking at it, 23 inch wingspan sounds right. I love these kits and I believe I am going to expand my stock of them.

Thanks for the tips guys. After I build these gliders I plan to get an Arcie II. My ultimate goal is to build a scale model R/C-RG SpaceShipOne. That will have to wait until I get a little more money.

Back