"Delta Super Heavy Lander" Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What if the actual Delta Heavy rocket was super-sized and then mashed with the Space-X lander concept? This is one of my most unusual (and most likely to fail) projects.

The rocket under construction is 5 1/2 feet tall, the central body tube dia. is 3.9", and the side pod tubes are 2.1" dia. The finished rocket will weight less than 10 pounds. There are four landing legs- the left leg is shown in the stowed position, and the right leg is in the deployed position. These wooden legs are reinforced with fiberglass. The deployed footprint is almost 4 feet wide.

The two side pods are permanently attached. A drogue chute will deploy from the top of each at apogee. There will be a D2.3PT 18/20 reloadable motor in each of the pods, to simulate descent engines. At 8 seconds of burn time but only 1/2 pound of thrust each, they are strictly for effect. If the RSO agrees, they will ignite at about 400 feet and in concert with the main chute deployment from the central body tube.

The reinforced landing legs are hinged in two places and will deploy via 1/2" wide braided elastic. The inside of the body tube where the legs are bolted in place is reinforced with a Blue Tube coupler section. The legs will be held in the stowed position with fishing line, which will be burned through via an igniter at maybe 200 feet. Kevlar line will be attached to the legs and to the central body tube, which will restrict the footprint width to the desired four feet. The attachment points within the central tube will again be reinforced.

I'll probably use four altimeters- two for the drogue and main chutes, housed in the main body tube ("an heir and a spare"), and one in each of the side pods- for the "descent motors" ignition, and for the cutting of the fishing line to deploy the landing legs. Already have the Perfectflite altimeters from other "one and done" projects, so I'll use what I have instead of buying some multichannel altimeters.

A high thrust 54mm "J" motor will quickly lift the rocket off the pad, but will keep it well within the 3,000 ceiling for the Jackson Model Rocketry Club- probably more like a max. altitude of 1,500 feet. My goal is for a 15 fps or less descent speed as the rocket's legs hit the ground.

Really just the shell is completed- the "plumbing" need to be done, as well as the rest of the painting. Gordon Agnello aka "Sandman" custom-turned the main nosecone, and Stickershock 23 will supply the labels to make it look a bit more authentic. IMG_4751.JPG NROL-32b_ULA_21NOV2010-e1465309461716.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

I set this build aside while I was enamored with my "Marvin Martian Jr." build. But with Ohio's 'detention hall' lasting until May 1, and since I'm out of 4' x 8' sheets of 1" & 1/2" foam board, I thought I'd go back to this project.

I had previously painted most of the rocket- just a little more orange to go, and then some black pinstriping to more closely match the rocket I'm using as inspiration (pictured in my original post above).

The legs fold in place against the body, and will have elastic to open the lower portion which will be folded under, and to snap the extended legs into the open position. Fishing line will hold them against the body until 500 feet, when an altimeter will ignite an igniter that will cut the line. Tomorrow I'm going to figure out how to attach a thin kevlar line to each leg, which will limit the deployment to the approximate stance you see in this photo. I'll attach the four lines together so that I can pull all of the legs against the body at one time, from inside the rocket's lower body.

I also competed the two motor holders for the side pods, which will also ignite at 500 feet. They will hold an 8 second-burning D2.3T-P reload, which burns with only 1/2 pound of thrust and lots of smoke, simulating retro rockets for landing.

An oversized parachute will deploy at 200 feet, landing the 7 pound rocket at maybe less than 10 fps. Two altimeters can control all of these events, including drogue chutes deploying from the top of the two side pods at apogee.

Last edited:
Will be able to launch this summer with the Jackson (MI) Model Rocketry Club, right next to MIS Speedway in Brooklyn MI. I'll post the video here for sure- win, lose or draw.

The spikes on the end of the legs look pretty wicked. Are you hoping to literally “stick the landing” with those to prevent skid, dragging, or tilting from a ground breeze?

Actually I will be putting some pistons on the end of the "spikes" to absorb some of the landing shock. So the metal will be completely enclosed by the pistons. Plus, this will be landing at 10fps or less, so it will be coming down quite gently. Really no different in risk than a metal-tipped nosecone- I've seen some of those come in ballistic and auger in behind the flight line. Redundant altimeters for main deploy, so no worries.

This will be launched at Jackson (MI) Model Rocketry Club's launch site, which is an open campground across the highway from Michigan International Speedway. No fire danger there at all. Plus, the "retro rockets" will be done firing many seconds before landing- 18mm baby reloadable motors.

After a long hiatus to work on "Marvin Martian Jr.", I've made some progress on "Delta Super Heavy Lander". In order to deploy the legs, I first tested the white fabric elastic used in sewing. It simply didn't have the power to reliably snap the legs into the open position. I also noticed that running the elastic along the legs didn't give a a fulcrum to pull the leg to the open position.

I made two changes- I added a corner brace to the top of each leg assembly, and decided to use rubber sling shot tubing for the opening power. The corner brace sticks out about 1 1/2" from the leg, so that gives the fulcrum point for the rubber tubing. The legs really snap into place now. The legs fold in on themselves toward the bottom, and then the legs fold out at the top leg attachment point. Both are opened reliably by the rubber tubing.

In order to halt the deployment of the legs at the correct distance from the body tube. I used a survivalist cord threaded through holes in the body tube, and attached to the back of each leg via a screw eye and a quick link. I put a "shock absorber", cut from a small piece of gardening kneeler pad, against the inside of the body tube, with the cord running through it. The end of the cord inside the tube is tied to a nut, which exerts force against the pad to soften the impact upon landing (I hope). I dropped the whole rocket a few times from about four feet, and all seemed to survive well.

I have created the two wired inserts for the small "retro rocket" 18mm long burn motors which will go in the bottom of the two side pods (just to give the effect of retro rockets during descent- only 1/2 pound of thrust, but for 8 seconds), and created two charge wells for each of the side pods, which will be used to deploy the drogue chutes. Since I'll have three altimeters to control all the various events, I thought having a backup charge for each drogue chute was prudent.

Next task will be to install the method of burning through the 30 pound test fishing line via Q2G2 igniters (I still have a small supply) mounted on the back of each side pod, toward the bottom. I fooled around with similar concept about 2010, when I created a clamshell device, stored in the main body tube, which released the main chute at the preset altitude via altimeter after motor ejection of the drogue chute & the clamshell. The Jolly Logic Chute Release is SOOOOO much better, but I can use that same concept to burn through the fishing line, releasing the landing legs at maybe 200 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_5223.jpg
    IMG_5223.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5224.jpg
    IMG_5224.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 29
  • chute release test 1A.jpg
    chute release test 1A.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 25
  • chute release test 1B.jpg
    chute release test 1B.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 24
Test of landing legs deployment- Youtube video below. Sling shot rubber snaps them into place. Two igniters (in this case, Quest Q2G2 igniters) are positioned on each side pod. 30 pound monofilament fishing wire is securing the legs in the stowed position. I'm using two igniters, just in case. The test went as hoped.

Next step will be to program the three Perfectflite Stratologger SL100 altimeters, which will deploy the side pod drogue chutes, ignite the side pod motors which will simulate retro rockets, deploy the landing legs and deploy the main parachute. Oct/Nov launch with Michiana Rocketry's three day event.

Attachments

• 1953983792_d3054ced9b_o.jpg
    1953983792_d3054ced9b_o.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 3
Back