Delta IV Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardw

Reaction score
Our club is putting together a project in honor of the Mars Rovers and we are building a 1/10 scale Delta IV Rocket. We have 9 L's on the outboards and 1 central M. I was wondering if anyone has good suggestions on getting the outboards to separate from the sustainer just like on the real rocket :) I really don't have a clue and have only drawn up a couple things - but I don't think they would be reliable at all. Anyone done this before?

Edward

Originally posted by edwardw
we are building a 1/10 scale Delta IV Rocket. We have 9 L's on the outboards and 1 central M.

This sounds like a very cool project....... 1/10 scale, so how big is that? You got any pics?

Right now looking at 12 and a half feet tall.

Man, that is a slick system Ray has - I know we are going to upscale it a bit but I will definetely be talking to him about the mechanics.

Our EX motors will have no ejection charge so that means each booster will have to have indivual electronics or an electrical signal fed to them to eject - I think that would be easier. AND since there would be two connecting points if we made the connectors out of aluminum then I could just make each connector carry a signal - that way they all fall off at the same time.

No pics...we are still in the design stages.

Though we hope it will fly at BALLS

I might be wrong, but don't the Delta IV's have two outboards?

The Delta 3 in max configuration has 9 Strap-Ons, with a single central engine on the bottom.

GEM 1,2,3 LDXL
3 Ground-Lit Vectored Nozzle 5Y
+/- 5Y Cant

GEM 4,5,6 LDXL
3 Air-Lit Lengthened Nozzle
10Y Cant

GEM 7,8,9 LDXL
3 Ground-Lit Fixed Nozzle
10Y Cant

The main engine is:

RS-27A Lox/Kerosene

2nd Stage booster:

RL-10B-2 Lox/LH2

My drawing, seen at the link below, is based on the DMF3-Delta 3.

https://members.tripod.com/silverleaf_design/id57.htm#sd

I think I make a multiplication error- we are bulding the DELTA II launch vehicle - sorry for all of the confusion!

:)

Edward The Confused

hahah cool, what does it mean when it says "epoxy graphite motors?"

Originally posted by Ryan S.
hahah cool, what does it mean when it says "epoxy graphite motors?"

I believe it's referring to the composite construction of the motor casings, made of carbon fiber and epoxy.

Back