Delta-IV Kit Versions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta-IV

Reaction score
I am starting this thread in the hope that the other builders/flyers can use this to show us how they are doing and results as they fly them. Any modifications building differences, etc, I might learn something I would want to use.

Flew the Heavy twice today for flights 2 and 3.

Flight #2

It appeared the core lit first and pulled away from the other two boosters, I suspect also the thread holding the outboards may have failed since the thread should had keep the stack together.

Flight 3

Flew the way it was designed, straight up, boosters separated about 150 feet up, core flew up to approx 500 feet. All three recovered on their chutes with no damage.

Recomendation

I am putting together the plans for the launch pad I use as a recommended way to have reliable launches. I was trying and hoping to have it be capable of launching from a standard club type MPR pad, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Thread Method.jpg

Flight 2- On Pad.jpg

P1070108-sm.jpg

Flight 3 On Custom Pad.jpg

Flight 3 - On Its Way.jpg

Last edited:
When I built my rough Delta IV Heavy look a like I used a small board with 2 spent motor cases glued to it to balance it on the pad before the motors were ignited.It worked well in the two flights it had before the sustainer was lost due to rocket eating trees.Although mine had no fins on the boosters and large trapazoid fins on the sustainer which if a boost didn't light or lit late it would go unstable and spin itself out, having fins on the boosters do they remain stable if they ignite late and fall off the stack?

..................... having fins on the boosters do they remain stable if they ignite late and fall off the stack?

For the most part yes, the 2 fins are 90 degrees apart. To my surprise on about 4 of my 25 Heavy launches I had one and recently both lit late and flew separately and they flew pretty darn well. I have suffered no damage. See Roger's video of my last two launches.

https://www.payloadbay.com/video-7988.html Play it on your own Media Player to get the higher resolution. You'll see in that first launch how they fly.

I just added 2 video cameras to a new Payload Bay on my Heavy. I did however make a mis-calculation. For those who have bought the kit via jonrocket.com I stated to add ballast to the payload bay for CG correction.

I didn't have enough, as the two TR800 cameras didn't weigh as much as the ballast I had in the other bay.

Here is a link to the video, I deemed it an successful failure since no damage to the rocket (whew check out how close my core came to the ground) and I got two great video clips from the cameras.

https://www.delta-iv-rockets.com/videos/9.wmv

-Carl-

Last edited:
Two questions for the Delta 4 guy...

Any chance of making a low-powered, low budget version for the flyer low on cash?

And would it be OK with you if I used some of your Delta 4 videos when I do a hobby rocketry story on my space news page?

Two questions for the Delta 4 guy...

Any chance of making a low-powered, low budget version for the flyer low on cash?

And would it be OK with you if I used some of your Delta 4 videos when I do a hobby rocketry story on my space news page?

No problem with the videos and yes I am thinking of resurrecting my 18mm prototype version, only drawback no separating boosters, the 18mm motors don't provide enough time/thrust differentiation that is required to make it real-life like.

No problem with the videos and yes I am thinking of resurrecting my 18mm prototype version, only drawback no separating boosters, the 18mm motors don't provide enough time/thrust differentiation that is required to make it real-life like.
I'd be interested, separating boosters or not.

I'm interested in affordability, kitbashability and weither or not I can fly payloads on it. IE - must have a payload section and be able to fit payload sections from other Estes kits.

And I don't need seperating boosters either.

very nice rocket.
I always loved the Delta rockets.
do you have some video's of the launch?

I see on the website, that the boosters can separate?

I wish I can buy this thing in the netherlands

Well finally ordered the Delta Medium from JonRocket, to go with the Heavy I ordered a few months ago.

Now then, about that Delta II ;)

Paul T

Well finally ordered the Delta Medium from JonRocket, to go with the Heavy I ordered a few months ago.

Now then, about that Delta II ;)

Paul T

Thanks Paul, the DII is coming soon...I just flew my 4th test flight on the prototype, next flight I will attempt a core C6-7 and 6 A10-PTs :y: ...wish me luck.

Thanks Paul, the DII is coming soon...I just flew my 4th test flight on the prototype, next flight I will attempt a core C6-7 and 6 A10-PTs :y: ...wish me luck.

Best of luck Carl !!!

Look forward to the next kit offering :D

Paul T

The photos below should help with the right answer

What should you do to before ever launching a high value cluster rocket?

A. Give Up, its not worth the effort.

B. Install Video Cameras they are a must have.

C. Use Quest Q2G2 igniters

D. Have someone video your flight.

..luck was with me again, payload BT damaged, but Nose cone and cameras will fly another day. AFter recovery and removal of the estes igniter plug, the igniter was found broken and leads shorted.

Flight-7a.jpg

Flight-7b.jpg

Flight-7c.jpg

Estes_igniter_thumb.jpg

Q2G2_igniter.jpg

Last edited:
So I see the center engine (Payload) did not ignite ? Cool picture of the dog barf and seperation event !

Is the BT a write off or can it be repaired ?

I guess when I build mine and fly it ,the Quest igniters are the best bet.I have not used their engines or igniters and can`t say that I have seen them here in Canada ,or at least where I live.

Paul

So I see the center engine (Payload) did not ignite ? Cool picture of the dog barf and seperation event !

Is the BT a write off or can it be repaired ?

I guess when I build mine and fly it ,the Quest igniters are the best bet.I have not used their engines or igniters and can`t say that I have seen them here in Canada ,or at least where I live.

Paul

The only part I have to replace is the payload BT, the nose cone slide inside the Payload BT and compressed into the foam wrap of ballast. The cameras were fine, we launch on a sod farm and the St. Augustine grass and moist sandy soil helped greatly.

I don't like the Quest motors, but I have used their igniters, hopefully you'll be able to get some up there. If not I guess use diligence using the Estes igniters.

What video camera did you use? That first seperation screen shot is very cool.

Bob

Just recieved Carl`s Delta IV Medium (from JonRocket.....great service as usual) and as with the Delta IV Heavy ,it`s another beauty !! The kit was well boxed and packaged and the parts all well made and produced and the huge instruction manual is very concise.

Carl has another winner with this kit ,and very glad I have both versions :D

I can hardly wait for the DELTA

Thanks Carl !

Paul T

Took my wife, son and our new Dautgher-in-law and introduced her to rocketry.

I think she kinda liked it and wants to go to our next club launch.

More later, but here is one photo.

Flight 8.jpg

Always good to see new faces getting excited about rocktery.My friend has several hundred acres(700 I think) not far from me ,where we launched a few last Autumn.His wife and her friend came to watch us fly a few H & I CTI "sparkies"...........they were VERY impressed to say the least and wanted to see more !
I`ve never seen grown women get that excited over rockets.it was great !

Of course ,seeing your Delta Heavy would be cause for excitement ,and for someone new to rocktery.....that would be a great choice to hear & see. BRAVO !!!!!

Take care Carl !

Paul T

Last edited:
Back