Delta IV Heavy Now Available at jonrocket.com

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta-IV

Reaction score
I have units of the Heavy available to all interested.

https://www.jonrocket.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_38_79

I will be getting my next batch of Mediums ready in the next couple of weeks.

299.view.jpg

The Delta IV rocket looks awesome! I'm looking forward to adding it to the build pile. Thanks!

Ordered mine yesterday ,look forward to seeing the kit and building it.Now I need the medium version.

Paul

Last edited:
Ordered mine yesterday ,look forward to seeing the kit and building it.Now I need the medium version.

Paul

Thanks Paul, you were one of four who bought it yesterday. I feel honored. Remember these 2 kits are my first endeavor into kit making so please feel free to let me know if you don't understand something or have improvement ideas. The guys who commented on the Medium helped a lot.

You can post here or on my website Original Rockets Kits page you can submit a question and I'll get an email and respond as soon as possible.

I want to thank Roger & Bracha at JonRocket for doing the vending for me.

I wish you all would stop coming out with these awesome kits. I keep breaking my "no more rockets until I build the ones I have" promise

Last edited:
Great looking kit. I mentioned it to my young trophy bride and she said that we could afford it. I mentioned all of the flippin' kits I already have in progress or in the "to do" pile or in the attic... But, I digress.
There is an article in this week's Aviation Week that arrived today (instead of two weeks late) about Space Launch Complex Six out at Vandenberg Air Force Base, CA. Or as we called it in the Air Force - Vandyland. Slick Six was originally built to launch the Space Shuttle on polar orbit missions. That was canceled after the Challenger disaster. In fact, the transporter that they now use to move the orbiter from its prep hanger to the VAB was originally at Vandenberg.
I have not read the article yet, but they have a Delta IV Heavy in the Slick Six structures. I would imagine that it is a pathfinder. Still, what a treat to have that puppy headed due south with a satellite that we can claim we know nothing about.

Ssshhhhhhhh...

Maybe I will wait for another run of kits...

Chas

BTW, my wife is six year younger than me and has many more running trophies...hence the young trophy wife. ;)

Great looking kit. I mentioned it to my young trophy bride and she said that we could afford it. I mentioned all of the flippin' kits I already have in progress or in the "to do" pile or in the attic... But, I digress.
There is an article in this week's Aviation Week that arrived today (instead of two weeks late) about Space Launch Complex Six out at Vandenberg Air Force Base, CA. Or as we called it in the Air Force - Vandyland. Slick Six was originally built to launch the Space Shuttle on polar orbit missions. That was canceled after the Challenger disaster. In fact, the transporter that they now use to move the orbiter from its prep hanger to the VAB was originally at Vandenberg.
I have not read the article yet, but they have a Delta IV Heavy in the Slick Six structures. I would imagine that it is a pathfinder. Still, what a treat to have that puppy headed due south with a satellite that we can claim we know nothing about.

Ssshhhhhhhh...

Maybe I will wait for another run of kits...

Chas

BTW, my wife is six year younger than me and has many more running trophies...hence the young trophy wife. ;)

https://www.spacearchive.info/vafbsked.htm

Pretty cool....

Just need a military discount...

Great work on making a personal dream (your kits )available for the rest of us.

Chas

Pretty cool...

Great work on making a personal dream (your kits )available for the rest of us.

Chas

I agree , but I won`t rest easy until I get the medium version also ! Me buying your kits was easy......I love scale rockets & missiles and I believe in supporting our hobby and guys like you who take pride/passion in their work and fill in a niche with kits like your Deltas !

Again ,congatulation Carl on a job well done and much success !

Paul

A great question was asked and I may not have expressed that enough in my Kit Instructions:

Only fly this with D12-3's in the outboards and an E9-4 in the core

For correct separation flights, the separation concept is based on the thrust curves and burn time of these motors. The outboards have higher thrust and provide most of the initial lift, when those burn out, the E9 still has about 1 second of burn. The D12 boosters just fall off with the drag and loss of thrust.

Thanks,
-Carl-

Would an Apogee E6 work? It burns for 7 seconds:D it is a full E motor that doesn't have the shipping hassles of the E9 tell me what you think

REPLY: BP motors ignite faster than composites, you may get a core sample

Last edited:
well what if i used a Q2G2 igniter?

it might work..looking at the thrust curve on the E6, the D12's will definatly be doing the work those first almost 2 seconds.

My Rocksim showed about 800 feet, I'd say with the loss of those 2 boosters and 4 more seconds of thrust it would probably exceed that.

You might want to search the other threads in regard to mixing BP and Composite for reliable operation.

I actually have an E6-6...wanna commission me for a test flight??? :)

Last edited:
Yes A test flight on a E6 would be nice, thanks alot :) make sure you tell us what happened

I believe that your rocket uses paper wraps, is this true? And if so how did you protect the surface? Would you risk a clear coat?

I believe that your rocket uses paper wraps, is this true? And if so how did you protect the surface? Would you risk a clear coat?

Yes, once everything is built but prior to the clear fin install, I recommend multiple light coats of clear matte paint. The paper wraps are way less expensive than vinyl for such a limited run.

Would an Apogee E6 work? It burns for 7 seconds:D it is a full E motor that doesn't have the shipping hassles of the E9 tell me what you think

REPLY: BP motors ignite faster than composites, you may get a core sample

If I were you I would build something close to a Delta IV heavy and try your motor configuation before trying it in this kit.It would be better to core sample a test rig then a sweet scale model like this one.I don't think Q2G2 igniters will fit the bill for lighting up all 3 of these motors your gonna need something that pumps out alot more then what those igniters can to get them all going at once.IMO this kit is built around a very small selection of motors to get the correct effect the designer intended those being two D-12's and an E9 in the sustainer mixing composites and BP in this instance might not work well at all.I think your biting off more then you can chew on this one Scrapdaddy buy it fly it how its meant to be flown and enjoy it don't push it farther then it should be pushed. But again this is all my opinion take it for what its worth.

Last edited:
Well I could use a Q2G2 for the composite and something notoriously slow to ignite like a.......

Well I could use a Q2G2 for the composite and something notoriously slow to ignite like a.......

What you would need to light a cluster like this you can't get becuase your too young.Like i said build a test rig first and try it before you build the real model, in fact I would try to light a composite with a Q2G2 first before you try to cluster AP and BP with them thats the logical step to follow before trying a complex cluster of the two kinds of motors.

limited run as in less than 1k kits. Talk to Flis Kits, Semroc, and Sunward about large runs of kits.

Ben

Yes, this is just a hobby for me, I won't and don't plan to get rich off these. I will do them if there is interest, so that I can give back to this great community of rocketeers in the best way I can.

Thanks,
-Carl-

P.S. Now when I retire from my "sparky" day job, then I may change my mind.... :)

Thanks Paul, you were one of four who bought it yesterday. I feel honored. Remember these 2 kits are my first endeavor into kit making so please feel free to let me know if you don't understand something or have improvement ideas. The guys who commented on the Medium helped a lot.

You can post here or on my website Original Rockets Kits page you can submit a question and I'll get an email and respond as soon as possible.

I want to thank Roger & Bracha at JonRocket for doing the vending for me.

Ordered on Tuesday. The box arrived in the mail Friday. I'll have to open it sometime this weekend.

Bob

Back