Delta IV Heavy Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucas said:
Congrats to the launch team, and everyone for that matter, for finally getting that thing off the pad! It was a really long wait but looked like it paid off!

Thanks....we were very ready to get that thing in the air last night. I had been working that mission for the last 3+ years.

There were 3 delays..

One of our pumps that safe the swing arms lost pressure, we decided that the backup pump was adequate (with the next two holds we verified that more than we wanted).

The second and third delay were database issues, nothing wrong with the rocket...any good software folks out there???? :eek:

delta4hliftoff.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks....we were very ready to get that thing in the air last night. I had been working that mission for the last 3+ years.

There were 3 delays..

One of our pumps that safe the swing arms lost pressure, we decided that the backup pump was adequate (with the next two holds we verified that more than we wanted).

The second and third delay were database issues, nothing wrong with the rocket...any good software folks out there???? :eek:
Congratulations! I watched a live webcast of the launch and recorded it for later viewing on my PC. I think with the holds, what I saved is about 1.5 hours long. Were you in the LCC for the launch, so might you be in the video?

Congratulations! I watched a live webcast of the launch and recorded it for later viewing on my PC. I think with the holds, what I saved is about 1.5 hours long. Were you in the LCC for the launch, so might you be in the video?

In the Youtube file posted by Lucas, at 16 to 28 seconds I was under the Camera Channel ID (along the wall). For this launch I was a "floater", my job to assist as needed..which allowed me to be able to watch the fly out at the front windows..a nice perk indeed.

Thanks, I was wondering what the holds were for.

What a great job!

Congrats Delta IV, saw about the last min before it went out of sight. She looked pretty from the 135 foot of 39A, in the afternoon.

Interesting video - thanks for sharing it. I saw flames shooting up into the sky at about 2:04. What was that all about?

-DAllen

Interesting video - thanks for sharing it. I saw flames shooting up into the sky at about 2:04. What was that all about?

-DAllen

That is the result of excess H2 gas as the engines begin to fire. We fire the sparklers (ROFI) prior to engine start, but some of the gas still escapes and then ignites when the engines come up near full thrust just prior to liftoff.

Back