Delta IV Heavy Launch Nov. 18

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
NASA is going to launch the Boeing Delta IV Heavy from the Cape on Thursday, November 18. The Delta IV Heavy is the third tallest vehicle ever built. As soon as I find out the time I will post it in this thread.

That's going to be one big rocket! 50,800 pounds to low earth orbit - it's good to know the U.S. will have another heavy-lift launcher (besides the shuttle) in the deck.

A shame it doesn't have fins, though. Don't they EVER think of us scale modelers when they design these things? Tsshh...

Long story short, I was *extremely* fortunate to have some amazing clearance out at KSC just a couple of weeks ago. There were several guys & I who went around to a number of the launch pads, including the one where the Delta IV was. While we could actually drive *right up to* some of the abandoned pads (like #34 where Grissom, White & Chaffee died on the pad from the oxygen fire in '67), we could "only" get within ~500ft of the Delta IV. It is a BEAST!!! Here's a pic I took...

BTW, I've got ~110MB (85pics) from my adventures that day. I just don't have anywhere that I can post all of those pics for everyone online to see... Send me a PM or email if you are interested in seeing more. Thx.

Originally posted by Ozymandias
NASA is going to launch the Boeing Delta IV Heavy from the Cape on Thursday, November 18. The Delta IV Heavy is the third tallest vehicle ever built. As soon as I find out the time I will post it in this thread.

BTW ozy, even if you can't find transportation down to KSC for the launch, you will *easily* (day or night) be able to see it anywhere in Daytona that allows a clear view to the south.

Originally posted by vjp
A shame it doesn't have fins, though. Don't they EVER think of us scale modelers when they design these things? Tsshh...

That's why "pay forward" is so important - the young modeler today will be the vehicle designer of tomorrow... so all us "old-timers" need to subliminally impress upon them the absolute necessity of fins! :p

I hope the flight goes well. One of the components on board was made by my company out here in San Diego, and if it doesn't work right... well, let's just say that Christmas bonuses will be hurting.

WW

Originally posted by lalligood
BTW ozy, even if you can't find transportation down to KSC for the launch, you will *easily* (day or night) be able to see it anywhere in Daytona that allows a clear view to the south.

A great place to see launches (unless you are lucky enough to get a launch pass for the Cape) is Jetty Park, at the north end of Cocoa Beach near Port Canaveral. We went there to see a Shuttle launch a few years ago. The launch was scrubbed for weather, but the park was packed with spectators. We lived over on the Gulf Coast near Tampa, and once saw a Shuttle night launch from the park at the south end of the Sunshine Skyway bridge.

Incidentally, the media has said in the past that the public aren't concerned with space any more. There were at least 2000 people crammed into Jetty Park for the scrubbed launch, and probably 40-50 people stood on the side of Tampa Bay on a cold windy night watching the Shuttle lift off over 100 miles away.

It looks like this one has gotten delayed until December. Until then, there are several other smaller Delta shots that you can watch...

WW

Clock is still running! Let's keep our fingers crossed - this beast could be a key to the next evolution of space exploration. With orbital launches now being commonplace, both government and private, NASA's goal of moon shots and Mars missions may very well begin with Delta IV Heavies.

Many of the planned ISS modules can also be carried aloft by this rocket, possibly relieving some of the burden on the shuttles.

WW

man i wish i lived in FL, i went to tampa for vacation once. went over the sunshine skyway, that thing is a beast. i'd love to see a NASA launch. man. one can only dream.

Is there a live webcam anywhere that actually works that I can watch the launch from?
Thanks
Karl

The Boeing webcam isn't schedule to go online until 2pm EST, try again then.

Also NASA TV should carry it, do you have a friend with cable or satellite who can get it?

Originally posted by vjp
Launch looks like a go for today (Sunday).
Nope.
Problems with the environmental control system for the Delta 4-Heavy rocket at pad 37B have forced Boeing to scrub today's shot at launching the massive vehicle on its demonstration flight.

They are performing an extended turnaround, so Tuesday will be the next earliest attempt...

Originally posted by brianc
They are performing an extended turnaround, so Tuesday will be the next earliest attempt...
Looks like there's an Atlas V launch already scheduled for Friday, so the range
will be unavailable for the Delta IV this week...

Finally, this bird got off the pad! :)

I only saw a small vapor trail due to some clouds between the office
and the Cape. :( But the Boeing live webcast looked great.

SpaceFlightNow is reporting the ascent performance was less than optimal
and there may be issues obtaining geostationary orbit for the payload.

https://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d310/statustextonly.html

I simply cannot express HOW I AM KICKING MYSELF FOR FORGETTING ABOUT YESTERDAY'S LAUNCH!!! The pics were *AMAZING* & how I wish that I could have seen it go up. I was even driving home at the time & looking east the entire time, so I should not have missed it. Doggone it :( :kill:

"DOH!"

That sums up how I felt when I realized I had missed it too.

I'm going to keep tabs on NASA TV today, in hopes that they'll replay the launch video.

If someone can offer to host the video, please IM me here with the particulars and I'll upload a WMV (that is, if NASA does rebroadcast it).

Originally posted by vjp
"DOH!"

That sums up how I felt when I realized I had missed it too.

I'm going to keep tabs on NASA TV today, in hopes that they'll replay the launch video.

If someone can offer to host the video, please IM me here with the particulars and I'll upload a WMV (that is, if NASA does rebroadcast it).

Me too..... my backside still hurts from me kicking myself for missing the launch.

If anyone can post a link or a video clip it sure would be great to be able to hear that bad-boy takeoff........

If you go to the Boeing link posted earlier, and click on "Live Webcast" (or just go directly to it here ) and click on a format and quality, it'll replay the live broadcast in full.

HTH,

Phil

Back