Delta IV Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapDaddy

Reaction score
This should be by far the hardest kit i have attempted:)
Lets get started:

I received the Box yesterday and laid out all the contents:
2646mhc.jpg

Last edited:
The instructions were slightly misleading, and i marked the CR with all the info on the templates, i wasted about an hour

also one of the centering had a huge knot in it no biggy

so here is progress:
2n6vs5l.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, a build thread.

That's unexpected, coming from you.

:D :p

Looking good so far ScrapDaddy.
Nice to see a build thread, this is where you get to pay it forward, and we all get to learn from you.
Any chance that you will be submitting a review for EMRR? This kit has yet to be done on that site.

just messed up big time, I glued the stuffer tubes (aka the MMT) to far in!!! And now the tail cone goes way over it!

Looking good Scrap.

Make sure you take it slow and easy. Building rockets was and still can be a frustration process for me.

It's still fun :roll:

Are those 24mm mounts?

just messed up big time, I glued the stuffer tubes (aka the MMT) to far in!!! And now the tail cone goes way over it!

What did you use to glue it in? If it's not completely dry you may be able to pull it down. If you make an attempt to do this. Gently twist and pull on the motor tubes SLOWLY.

What did you use to glue it in? If it's not completely dry you may be able to pull it down. If you make an attempt to do this. Gently twist and pull on the motor tubes SLOWLY.

I used gorrila, I did this an hour ago and I just noticed I am E-MailingCarl as we speak, and yes those are 24mm mounts

Always dry fit and measure EVERYTHING, then look at it a couple of times at different angles. Then glue it together.

I know this advise is a bit late, but save it for later. :D

Monty,

I sent you some steps to add some BT50 material. Luckily once you add the material and the overlap joiner it won't be noticed as the tail cone will hide it. Only draw back is no engine hooks now for motor retention.

Also, like others have mentioned, dry fit and remember an old saying: measure twice cut only once.

Also if you don't understand a step, look at the kit provided scale plan sheets, they may save you a problem later and always look at my build photos on my site or you can always email/PM/or post here if you have a question.

-Carl-

Plan Sheet 1.jpg

Plan Sheet 2.jpg

The instructions were slightly misleading, and i marked the CR with all the info on the templates, i wasted about an hour

also one of the centering had a huge knot in it no biggy

so here is progress:
2n6vs5l.jpg

Wish I could had seen this before you glued them on to the stuffer tube. The most AFT centering rings are way too AFT. :(

Stuffer Tube - Motor Mount - Main BT.jpg

Last edited:
I just have this feeling that I am going to ruin a great kit..... Gulp, 20+ pages of wraps........

Some glues (ie: epoxy) will soften or become brittle when heated by a heat gun. Using one of those glues in conjunction with a heat gun, may allow you to correct a mishap.

Bob

I just have this feeling that I am going to ruin a great kit..... Gulp, 20+ pages of wraps........

Is your dad interested in rocketry? There is no shame in asking for help from your dad. I do all the time. I wouldn't have attempted to fiberglass OSD without him. I always run measurements by him, and ask him for help all the time.

If your dad isn't, try to find someone who is. Someone that can actually be there to help you.

Best luck!

After dabating with myself for sometime, I have desided to put it away, right now I feel like i don't have enough experience to do this, I am very worried about destroying a $140 kit, which Is very nice.... I normaly don't give up on things like this but it just got extremely frustrating, so into the box and into the closet, until I get over it, the build will cease to continue.

Is your dad interested in rocketry? There is no shame in asking for help from your dad. I do all the time. I wouldn't have attempted to fiberglass OSD without him. I always run measurements by him, and ask him for help all the time.

If your dad isn't, try to find someone who is. Someone that can actually be there to help you.

Best luck!

Uhhhh..... The closest guy I kno that is into this mumbo jumbo is , Mark and even he is a 1hr 30min drive away, and I would have to find a car, my family couldnt care less about rocketry...oh well

After dabating with myself for sometime, I have desided to put it away, right now I feel like i don't have enough experience to do this, I am very worried about destroying a $140 kit, which Is very nice.... I normaly don't give up on things like this but it just got extremely frustrating, so into the box and into the closet, until I get over it, the build will cease to continue.
While I would like to see this kit built. I kind of have to agree here. I think you need to get an easier kit first. I recommend the Aerotech initiator. It's a fairly simple build and you'll enjoy G motors.

I would also recommend the Cosmodrome Black Brant. I haven't built one, but have heard they are very nicely put together. I think you need to invest in an Aerotech 29/40-120 or a CTI 29mm case and fly some G motors before you go into clusters.

Building several easier kits will build your skills and eventually, you will be ready for this kit.

While I would like to see this kit built. I kind of have to agree here. I think you need to get an easier kit first. I recommend the Aerotech initiator. It's a fairly simple build and you'll enjoy G motors.

I would also recommend the Cosmodrome Black Brant. I haven't built one, but have heard they are very nicely put together. I think you need to invest in an Aerotech 29/40-120 or a CTI 29mm case and fly some G motors before you go into clusters.

Building several easier kits will build your skills and eventually, you will be ready for this kit.

The thing that makes this incredible is that I can build heli-roc but I can't build a simple 4FNCT2P2FT

Monty,

I am about to order some more parts for my next lot, I'd like to do you a favor since I think you made the best decision for you right now.

You can return the kit for your money back or I can send you the parts that need to be re-done. When you are ready to tackle the build again, you'll have everything you need.

Let me know.

Wow thanks, I think... I would never return the kit for money, I think It is a masterpiece (well, assuming you have a good builder) but i would love to take the replacement parts offer:) and it was the second best desision after buying it.

Thanks alot,
Monty

PS, wouldn't it become an oxymoron if you made other kits like the Saturn V or the Aries-1 since your comany name is Delta-IV rockets?

After dabating with myself for sometime, I have desided to put it away, right now I feel like i don't have enough experience to do this, I am very worried about destroying a $140 kit, which Is very nice....

That's a good idea and nothing to be ashamed about. I've had a big Saturn V kit sitting in the closet for a couple of years because I'm still not ready to build it the way I want to build it.

-- Roger

That's a good idea and nothing to be ashamed about. I've had a big Saturn V kit sitting in the closet for a couple of years because I'm still not ready to build it the way I want to build it.

-- Roger

I just wish i figured that out BEFORE I started building,I didn't stand a chance after #21

That is a very good idea. Good job.

I started building rockets without help at about your age. All of them turned out ok, but they could have been better. More then one of them crashed because of the mistakes I made. Four years later, I am building rockets that will fly on J motors. I didn't do that by pushing myself to go bigger and better. I did it one step at a time.

If you do want to challenge your building skills a little, try a Fliskits ACME Spitfire. It's a little challenging, but it's difficult to mess it up if you follow the instructions.

Good luck,
Brian

... wouldn't it become an oxymoron if you made other kits like the Saturn V or the Aries-1 since your comany name is Delta-IV rockets?

..humm perhaps, but I am just a company of "1" and my primary focus has been the Delta-IV for some strange reason ;) I guess I could live with that as long as you left the oxy in front of the moron. :jaw:

Back