Delta III Video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Art Upton
That Project was way too kewl Kevin !

Woulda been cooler if we'd been smart enough to get the gear you loaned us working..... :rolleyes:

Methinks we were a wee bit distracted, and I should've played with it more in advance of LDRS.

-Kevin

Well, no video but I did get some pictures of the flight...

delta_1.jpg

and...

delta_5.jpg

and...

delta_7.jpg

I would post more but Kevin hurt my feellings talking about my camera. :p

I will put more up on my site when I get them all edited and ready.

Tim

Very very very cool. Thanks for posting the pictures and the video. It looked like a lot of laundry to recover :D . What are the chances you might have a rocksim file of that bird? I would really like to try a down-scale of it with like a central 29mm and 18mm boosters or something like that.

Thanks again.

-DAllen

What was the altitude on the flight? Also could you post the video in mpg format instead of wmv because I can't play vids in wmv format. Also great launch picture RocketSapp.

Originally posted by Rocket Guy 1317
What was the altitude on the flight? Also could you post the video in mpg format instead of wmv because I can't play vids in wmv format. Also great launch picture RocketSapp.
The altitude was around 3900 ft. according to the altimiters beeping. Don't know if Kevin has downloaded the data yet.
We have a cleanup get together tomorrow. We will know more then I am sure.
cjl those are some great pictures your dad took.
RocketSapp yours are great too.
My grandson had my camera but he was so excited about the flight he forgot to take any pictures. I had Brent McNeelys back up video camera at our position North of the windmill. Every thing landed just to the North and East of us.

Originally posted by Rocket Guy 1317

3834 & 3837, according to the two alts. I had originally said 3900 in the field, because I was rounding, trying to discern between two beeping alts.

More/better video will have to wait; the WMV was given to me, I'm waiting on some really kick-butt video from some folks -- I've seen it on-camera, but don't have it. Yet. It's been promised to me, and once I have it, it'll be posted.

-Kevin

Originally posted by RocketSapp
Well, no video but I did get some pictures of the flight...

I would post more but Kevin hurt my feellings talking about my camera. :p

I will put more up on my site when I get them all edited and ready.

Oh, that's right, you're the Nikon guy.... :eek: :D

Nice photos, Tim!

-Kevin

Originally posted by SARocketMan
Wilkins

Ah, that David! "Met" is an understatement -- spent quite a bit of time with Mr Wilkins.

-Kevin

Originally posted by DAllen
Very very very cool. Thanks for posting the pictures and the video. It looked like a lot of laundry to recover :D . What are the chances you might have a rocksim file of that bird? I would really like to try a down-scale of it with like a central 29mm and 18mm boosters or something like that.

I have RockSim files, yes, but they wouldn't do any good, as they're seriously fudged -- I put in elements of the proper sizes, and did weight overrides based on what we have. Very much hard-coded to our specific vehicle, so they're pretty ugly.

12 components to recover, btw....

-Kevin

Originally posted by troj
I have RockSim files, yes, but they wouldn't do any good, as they're seriously fudged -- I put in elements of the proper sizes, and did weight overrides based on what we have. Very much hard-coded to our specific vehicle, so they're pretty ugly.

12 components to recover, btw....

-Kevin

Well, even that would be better than what I am currently finding - which is NOTHING. :D All I am looking for are dimensions of tubes, transitions and cones. I'm really not all that interested in the interior components since what I want to do is so much smaller and I'll have to do things a lot differently.

OR if you could point me to where you got the original dimentions of the real thing would be helpful. Maybe I'm just not using the right search terms but I can't seem to find anything like that on the net.

-DAllen

Well, even that would be better than what I am currently finding - which is NOTHING. :D All I am looking for are dimensions of tubes, transitions and cones. I'm really not all that interested in the interior components since what I want to do is so much smaller and I'll have to do things a lot differently.

OR if you could point me to where you got the original dimentions of the real thing would be helpful. Maybe I'm just not using the right search terms but I can't seem to find anything like that on the net.

Ah! That's easy! Although a RPITA to find -- probably about 30 or 40 hours of scrounging to find the info. Anywho, here it is.... (everything is in inches)

Boosters
Diameter: 46
Body length: 448.3
Nozzle diameter (air-start): 39.96
Nozzle diameter (ground-start): 49.32
Nose length: 88
Nose tip radius: 5

Main
Stage 1 diamter: 98
Upper diameter: 160.25
Nozzle diameter: 56.4
Fairing length: 35.3
Upper length: 687.7
Transition length: 37.44
Lower length: 625.32
Nozzle length: 56.28
Nose length: 191.2
Nose tip radius: 37.2

My Rocksim file wouldn't provide any of that, as the version I have cannot do strap-on boosters. So, I fudged it via a transition where the booster nosecones are, out to a body tube the diameter of the boosters.

-Kevin

Thank you very much! That's perfect! I think if I have the boosters minimum diameter for 18mm motors that works out to a 1:64.7 scale (about) model - assuming my quick and dirty math calcs are right. I have two rockets to build before I will work on this one. I'll have to do a build thread for it.

Sheez that thing was BIG.

-DAllen

Thank you very much! That's perfect! I think if I have the boosters minimum diameter for 18mm motors that works out to a 1:64.7 scale (about) model - assuming my quick and dirty math calcs are right. I have two rockets to build before I will work on this one. I'll have to do a build thread for it.

Set up a spreadsheet and fudge the scale factor until you get something close to a standard sized tubing, then go from there. The Delta III was based on LOC 7.5" tubing for the boosters; the rest was pretty doggone close from there.

Sheez that thing was BIG.

Yeah, it has a little size and heft to it... A smidge over 400 pounds without motors. The group can tell you that my one insistence was that we not build a "600 Pound Pad Princess". I think we succeeded...

-Kevin

Originally posted by troj
Set up a spreadsheet and fudge the scale factor until you get something close to a standard sized tubing, then go from there. The Delta III was based on LOC 7.5" tubing for the boosters; the rest was pretty doggone close from there.

Kevin and I worked out some preliminary figures on this and a nice looking 'semi-scale' version would have a 3" tube with 38mm boosters and a 4" upper.

that could be a nice flier if you filled all of the tubes :D

Back