Delta Dart launcher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you mean a conture gauge? :) they run 10 -20 usd.
rex

Yes. It's also known, I've just learned, as a "Profile Copy Tool." :)

I don't recall ever using mine while working on a rocket, but I can imagine it being useful in some cases.

-- Roger

I don't have one of those nifty things but it looks helpful. My plan for now is to cut too small an opening and hold the glider against it and see where the tube isn't allowing the glider to be flush with the CRs, then cut some more. If I cut a little at a time and be careful I think I can do okay.

Maybe I'll think of a better way before then. I've got a little time.

I don't have one of those nifty things but it looks helpful. My plan for now is to cut too small an opening and hold the glider against it and see where the tube isn't allowing the glider to be flush with the CRs, then cut some more. If I cut a little at a time and be careful I think I can do okay.

Maybe I'll think of a better way before then. I've got a little time.

You could sacrifice one of the gliders by cutting it into thin slices (like cutting a loaf of bread). Then use the slices as templates. :)

-- Roger

My plan for now is to cut too small an opening and hold the glider against it and see where the tube isn't allowing the glider to be flush with the CRs, then cut some more. If I cut a little at a time and be careful I think I can do okay.

If you soak some CA into the BT it can be sanded nicely. That might be useful for fine shaping once you have a rough cut. You'd be able to use a Dremel to sculpt if you have one.

With the notches cut in the first two rings it was easy to cut the third ring.

15 3 rings cut.jpg

The pencil mark for the 4th ring showed that it was going to get cut nearly to the middle tube.

16 4th ring needed.jpg

After looking at how the gliders fit, and reviewing the pictures of my first attempt, I decided to change the plan a little and put the 4th ring past the back of the glider, and it wouldn't get notched at all.

17 4th ring on.jpg

Now that all 4 rings were glued in place I knew how long the middle tube needed to be I could cut it just below the 4th ring.

18 tube needs to be cut.jpg

Here is the middle tube, cut to length just below the 4th ring.

19 middle tube cut.jpg

To cut the sides out of the main BT I started by drawing a line down the side of the tube.

20 center line drawn.jpg

Then I measured the width of the cut outs on the CRs and copied them to the line I drew.

21 CR notches drawn.jpg

After that I connected the dots to show me where the openings should be. I figured that if the openings in the CRs were where the glider fit, then connecting these marks and cutting them out should be where the glider would fit into the side of the tube. Here's the lines connected along with the outline of the glider nose.

22 cut out line drawn.jpg

Here's one side cut out. It's not perfectly smoothly cut but if everything fits I'll smooth it out later with sandpaper before painting.

23 side cut out.jpg

I sat a glider in the hole and it seemed to fit well.

24 glider in hole.jpg

Then I dry fit the middle tube and CRs into place and placed both gliders in the sides. Everything still fits well.

25 gliders in place.jpg

I think the method for cutting out the sides of the tube worked. It's a fairly tight fit along the bottom of the gliders.

26 gliders in place.jpg

The next steps will be to glue the CRs into the main BT and work out the specifics of keeping the gliders attached. The nose doesn't slide up under the BT like the first one did due to the smaller diameter BT. Perhaps a small cowling to cover the nose attached to the outside of the BT would work.

Fortunately I've got time to think it over because it'll be about 4 or 5 days until I can do anything else on it due to being away from the rocket on a work trip.

Back