Delta 191 crash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet driver

Reaction score
I was watching "Why Planes Crash" tonight and they visited the Delta 191 crash in Dallas. The program really does not convey just how violent it was just before the crash. The NTSB crash report is a difficult read at best--181 pages-- but pages 38-41--tell the tale on board. At the time of the crash a good friend of mine was a Delta pilot and flew the 1011 so he had a great insight to just how bad it was and the girl I was dating at the time , missed that flight--stuck in traffic--.Flying Magazine had a great article that really put things in lay mans terms. Remember as you read this everything is happening in seconds to a very large aircraft. You fly the wing, so a head wind speeds the wind up over the wing and a tail wind does the opposite.https://books.google.com/books?id=J...ved=0ahUKEwiRzo6jgqXRAhWL1IMKHe26D-UQ6AEIOzAI

Last edited:
We have a similar show up where called 'Mayday' which delves into a particular plane crash, the investigation, theories, and the results, and what changes the governing bodies make. Quite interesting.

A friend of mine has taken to downloading & reading NTSB reports. Intrigued, I will read this one later!

My wife and I are both professional pilots, her airlines, me corporate. We both have a morbid fascination with these shows and the NTSB reports. Always interesting and usually pretty humbling.

I was working on my privat pilots license at the time & living in Dallas (east side of 75 just south of Royal). As I was walking out of my apartment on my way to a friends house I noticed the anvil cloud to the WNW. I couldn't tell how far away it was, but I thought that was one Hell of a storm, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it in an aircraft.
10 minutes later I arrived at my friends house & it was all over the news. It was a bad day in the DFW Area.

Back