Delay drilling old school: 1/32" per second

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often eyeball drilling delays. With CTI, I just use the tool as designed. With AT, I just eyeball. That way I always buy the longest delay and adjust as needed. There's always a 20% leeway anyway, so I figure it's not too critical. Never had any trouble doing it that way either. An extra second one way or the other isn't going to shred my rockets that fly on those size motors anyway. Besides, even a perfectly measured delay won't be perfect unless the rocket flies exactly straight anyway.

That's what I figured. I'm happy with my caliper and 3/16(or 1/4) drillbit.
And now I have a second opinion in case anyone says "No delay adjustment without the tool!...."

That's what I figured. I'm happy with my caliper and 3/16(or 1/4) drillbit.
And now I have a second opinion in case anyone says "No delay adjustment without the tool!...."

Drilling the delay in Aerotech without a special tool isn't a rules thing either. AT specifically explained how to do it and it doesn't require the tool. I've done it often, including once badly.

I never liked drilling or hogging out of the delay element directly, I used to slice off the amount required for reduction from the delay grain, then would cutout a 3/16" hole from that sliced off portion with my exacto and put the remaining ring of delay material back into the delay stack, effectively using the sliced portion as a spacer, worked very well and was more precise than a drilled hole in that spongy material in my opinion. Of course if you have an ez one piece unit you can't do that.

Honestly, how critical is the centering ring? How critical is it to have the drill bit EXactly on point?
If I hadn't already adjusted a couple delays with a bare drillbit (eyeballing the center), I'd be less inclined to speak up.

I often drill smaller delays with a tool for a bigger one. I just start the process by eye with the raw bit, then assemble the tool properly and complete the process using the pilot hole. The holes are centered good enough!

Back