DEEP Cleaning Motor Hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, folks. I've got a REALLY dirty 98mm Dr. Rocket case that has some pretty substantial motor gunk on the nozzle end. Pretty standard stuff, yes, but it's been that way for probably the better part of 20 years.

I've seen all kinds of techniques get recommended. Soaking in simple green, soaking in WD40, leaving it in soapy water for a week, etc etc.

I've got the big cleaning brush from Chris Short. It's great, but it's not doing what I need to do. This needs to be a chemical solution.

For anyone who's gotten some nasty cases clean without destroying the anodization, how'd you do it?

Braden

Depends on what the "gunk" is from. If it is residue from grease, then soaking in a degreaser would be my first step. If it is from burnt liner, then a mild acid like vinegar but keep in mind that acid attacks the aluminum case so limit the time, rinse well, etc. If it is from combustion products then I'd go with a hot soak in soapy water. All these will soften or loosen the gunk. The brush should then break it up so it can be removed.

After you get it clean, inspect for pitted aluminum. I've seen that happen with dirty cases that have sat for years.

457497-a0008d6577b9bd402fd6b9fd437a3d34.jpg

Go get a cheap brake hone that fits.
Wire-tie scotch-bright pads over the stone faces.
Spin with a drill on an extender while flooded with 99% isopropyl or some of the other chems listed.
You'll be done before you know it.

Do not leave bare aluminum in simple green, it will add a phosphate layer that can interfere with threaded components. I soaked some aluminum car parts, and the grey layer was not the bright aluminum I was going for, and it wad hard to remove. It will get all the crap off a piston in 15 minutes, but the piston may not fit if you soak it overnight.

I
Alright, folks. I've got a REALLY dirty 98mm Dr. Rocket case that has some pretty substantial motor gunk on the nozzle end. Pretty standard stuff, yes, but it's been that way for probably the better part of 20 years.

I've seen all kinds of techniques get recommended. Soaking in simple green, soaking in WD40, leaving it in soapy water for a week, etc etc.

I've got the big cleaning brush from Chris Short. It's great, but it's not doing what I need to do. This needs to be a chemical solution.

For anyone who's gotten some nasty cases clean without destroying the anodization, how'd you do it?20221008_181201.jpg

Braden
Just had the same issue and used these. They worked great! Grime stoppers. They have a texture on one side that really scrubs off the crud.

Toilet bowl brush (with the twisted wire through the bristles so you can form it to your liking), wrapped with a green scotchbrite pad and adjusted so it has a lot of tension on it, hot water and dawn dish soap. Scrubadubdub.

Orange cleaner scrubby wipes to get the threads and areas you missed.

Rinse with hot water again.

Dry.

Done.

Back