Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mentioned a Sharp vertical-play turntable upthread. Here she is:
SharpClosed.jpg

SharpOpen.jpg

I powered it up for the first time in about 15-20 years. Opens the door at least. I have a new set of belts for it somewhere.
LInear tracking, plays both sides without flipping the record. Note the track forward and track reverse buttons. You can also repeat sides, or the entire album on loop. Also plays 45 singles.

I mentioned a Sharp vertical-play turntable upthread. Here she is:
View attachment 583203

View attachment 583202

I powered it up for the first time in about 15-20 years. Opens the door at least. I have a new set of belts for it somewhere.
LInear tracking, plays both sides without flipping the record. Note the track forward and track reverse buttons. You can also repeat sides, or the entire album on loop. Also plays 45 singles.
incredibly practical. thanks

Lkm3Ioa.jpg

I will apologize in advance for no pictures...

We were recently gifted what looks like a mid-90's Sony stereo system with three separate decks. There's a main deck, a 5-CD changer, and a dual tape deck. Plus a pair of nice Bose side speakers. I have two questions:

1. There's no antenna included, so I need to buy a 300-ohm or 75-ohm FM antenna. Is there any difference between 300 and 75? Any recommendations on which brand/type to buy other than grabbing something off of Amazon?

2. The tape decks don't turn the cassette reels. When you push play, there's a clicking noise for a few seconds and then it shuts itself off. Does this mean that the tape deck is dead, or is there a relatively easy fix for the system? We have a few recordings of our young kids (and a few mix tapes from days of yore), and it would be nice to be able to play them.

Thanks!

I will apologize in advance for no pictures...

We were recently gifted what looks like a mid-90's Sony stereo system with three separate decks. There's a main deck, a 5-CD changer, and a dual tape deck. Plus a pair of nice Bose side speakers. I have two questions:

1. There's no antenna included, so I need to buy a 300-ohm or 75-ohm FM antenna. Is there any difference between 300 and 75? Any recommendations on which brand/type to buy other than grabbing something off of Amazon?

2. The tape decks don't turn the cassette reels. When you push play, there's a clicking noise for a few seconds and then it shuts itself off. Does this mean that the tape deck is dead, or is there a relatively easy fix for the system? We have a few recordings of our young kids (and a few mix tapes from days of yore), and it would be nice to be able to play them.

Thanks!
A really cheap wire dipole (T-shaped) antenna will work fine 300 ohm model:
https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Ante...words=fm+dipole+antenna&qid=1685809275&sr=8-1With it being 30 years old, it's likely both of the rubber drive belts for the cassette decks are rotted and broken. If you can remove the outer housing, then a quick visual inspection will let you know if that's the case

1. There's no antenna included, so I need to buy a 300-ohm or 75-ohm FM antenna. Is there any difference between 300 and 75?
It depends.

What are the inputs on your receiver? 300? 75? both? If it's only one type you have your answer.

Where you live and what you want to listen to play into it as well. If you live in an area with strong signals, most any antenna will do. A simple 300 ohm dipole worked in a few places I've lived. In others they were useless. If signals are weak you may have to have a fairly large antenna and you would choose cabling to match its needs.

At the moment, I have pretty good signal strength but I have no place to pin a simple dipole. I'm using a small Terk amplified antenna, which has a 75 ohm output.

Thanks to @Hobie1dog and @lawn dart I now have a functional radio receiver with great sound for ~$8 including shipping. I ended up with a 300-ohm T dipole antenna. The wire is kinda draped over my desk, so I still need to make it a little more permanent.

Thanks to @Hobie1dog and @lawn dart I now have a functional radio receiver with great sound for ~$8 including shipping. I ended up with a 300-ohm T dipole antenna. The wire is kinda draped over my desk, so I still need to make it a little more permanent.
If it's long enough you can take it to a nearby window and tape it to the window pane.

If it's long enough you can take it to a nearby window and tape it to the window pane.
We're only a few miles from the radio tower, so we don't need maximum antenna gain. It's nice to have the radio right next to my desk, across the room from the window. That way it's easier to cut the volume when a call comes in.

I had a couple of doo-dads dropped off today.

This pretty little 12AX7 preamp, a Crown PS200 power amp, and a pair of small speakers.

View attachment 589104

View attachment 589105

View attachment 589107

Speakers are old Marantz bookshelfs:

View attachment 589138

But there was a surprise inside the cabinets:

View attachment 589141

View attachment 589143

Sweet! That combo should be a really fun listening experience. Enjoy!

Back