Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fw5s1Qc.jpg

Thinking of putting the AVR-X4700H into pre-amp only mode and picking up 5 channels of Class-D amps.
Specifically a Purifi 1ET400A 3-channel and a Hypex NC525MP 2-channel for the rears while on sale at Buckeye.

Anybody do something similar????

Thinking of putting the AVR-X4700H into pre-amp only mode and picking up 5 channels of Class-D amps.
Specifically a Purifi 1ET400A 3-channel and a Hypex NC525MP 2-channel for the rears while on sale at Buckeye.

The amps you already have are likely more than enough to drive you out your room. I think you would be flushing money down the drain with zero gain in SQ too.

For the additional power?

The Denon clearly runs out of headroom - you can hear the compression.
My friend said I should go all the way to the NCx500-based amps for LCR as I'll want the power......

The X4700H is rated 125W with only 2 channels driven - 5 at a time is a ????
The Purifi's are 225W and the NCx500's are 380W

I have 2 Hypex FA251's that I bought to power my woofer on my speakers which are bi-wired to allow that. Then my tube amp will be lightly loaded for the midrange on up. Then someday I can power the system with a low power SET and still kick low-end ass too. Not exactly your use case but maybe loosely similar.

What speakers are you driving?
Revel F206/C208 as LCR.
A big improvement over the ELAC's, but still strains during concert video's and movies with lots of DR.
People say mid-range clarity improves with power reserves.
I am running Audsseyy and twin SB-3k's which helps unload the amp, but still think the speakers have more to give.

This came from the original owner (several years ago), who bought it for himself as a present when he graduated high school in 1974. Original paperwork included. One of the wooden feet is broken, I need to replace that. Otherwise, it's in great shape.

I got some of his vinyl, too. @Sandy H., those original Yes LP's you have came along with this turntable.

I also got the Marantz integrated amp and KLH speakers that he bought at the same time. Those have been re-homed, but I couldn't let this go until the leg is fixed. It's pretty small, I may end up keeping it.

IMG_9127.JPG

This came from the original owner (several years ago), who bought it for himself as a present when he graduated high school in 1974. Original paperwork included. One of the wooden feet is broken, I need to replace that. Otherwise, it's in great shape.

I got some of his vinyl, too. @Sandy H., those original Yes LP's you have came along with this turntable

View attachment 575562
Does it have a Shure cartridge on it?

I got some of his vinyl, too. @Sandy H., those original Yes LP's you have came along with this turntable.

I also got the Marantz integrated amp and KLH speakers that he bought at the same time. Those have been re-homed, but I couldn't let this go until the leg is fixed. It's pretty small, I may end up keeping it.

View attachment 575562
Is that United Audio as in the now defunct retail chain of audio stores?

If so, I never knew they had their own house brand..

View attachment 575562
Sweet table. I've got to get my head in the right place to enjoy listening to the clicks and pops again vs. just background music while working. . .

The attached pics are the system I bought/built for my wife while she was just my girlfriend. The speakers are Wayne J's D3's (now in the garage, but great speakers), the stands were custom MDF/PVC with sand fill (still used in the living room with some crossover modified BR1's) and the Denon is in the bedroom, currently pushing some Bose 301's.

Sandy.

Attachments

• IMG_6287.jpg
    IMG_6287.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6288.jpg
    IMG_6288.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6289.jpg
    IMG_6289.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sweet table. I've got to get my head in the right place to enjoy listening to the clicks and pops again vs. just background music while working. . .

The attached pics are the system I bought/built for my wife while she was just my girlfriend. The speakers are Wayne J's D3's (now in the garage, but great speakers), the stands were custom MDF/PVC with sand fill (still used in the living room with some crossover modified BR1's) and the Denon is in the bedroom, currently pushing some Bose 301's.

Sandy.

Cool! Are those Morel tweeters?

Cool! Are those Morel tweeters?
I think they are all Dayton parts, but that was my first speaker build 20+ years ago. Wayne J was a great resource before forums were popular, but at some point, he moved on to other stuff. Its a shame, as he was super helpful and the D3's are still a great starting point. For most people, they would be the stopping point too, as they are so much better than consumer purchased speakers. Sure audiophiles will tear them apart, but if I had only one speaker plan to build for every application, it would be the D3's. Absolutely not perfect, but a great implementation for the dollar at the time (I think the drivers are no longer available and another plan would probably be better today).

The worst part of the speakers was my implementation of the raw ash veneer. Looked great for about a year, but split and would need rework in any environment other than the garage. 100% my fault /learning. I will own those speakers for as long as I live and will repair/replace parts if stuff starts to go bad. Just a personal connection for me. They make the noise I often want to hear.

Sandy.

Back