Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a portable 4-channel digital recorder that would be fun to make recordings with.
jFiC9xn.jpg

What I was referring to was simulating Ambisonics with existing recordings by using crosstalk cancellation from the LR speakers. The effect is breath taking with source material that is mastered well. I looked into my own DSP so I can do this with my own superior DAC but on to other projects now.

I need a recommendation for a relatively affordable stereo rack to put my turntable, receiver, etc. on. My current one puts the turntable way too high to handle easily without a stepladder.

we need pictures :ghosty:

The '62 is a 4ST357MR, these pics are from the night I brought it home. It was still in the same room where it was first delivered. The "Astrosonic" solid state versions were coming out in '63. This one is a bit of a unicorn with the (lesser) 5-knob preamp, the more desirable 93xx amp, the 8-speaker 12" system and a model number that really doesn't work for that. 22" B&W TV is the "Theater" part. I figure Magnavox was clearing the last of the tube gear off the shelves and putting together whatever they could make of it in a hurry. IIRC, these were about $750 new.

IMG_4973.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

6BQ5 model 9304 amp bottom right:

IMG_6468.jpg

FM MPX decoder bottom left:

IMG_6465.jpg

Last edited:
This '47 Magnavox Regency Symphony was in Tallahassee, in the home of the original owner's daughter. I nabbed it and the lady said her mother was going to come out and tell me it's story before we took it home...
Her husband had joined the Navy just after WWII ended. He shipped out and with his very first paycheck, she bought this. When he was able to make his first phone call to her, she had to tell him she spent $500- most all of all their money- on a radio. That was nearly half the price of a new car in '46, and about two month's income for the average household.
She said she just thought it was so pretty. Radio was the prime mode of communication then, she wanted to hear what was going on with him out there in the world. The husband cared for it like a child through all the years, and once it was in their daughter's home, he would go through it every time he came to visit.
His handwritten notes about the tubes are still attached to the back of it.

IMG_20200308_133401768c.jpg

IMG_6581c.jpg

The turntable isn't original, I assume he upgraded it to play 33/45's

IMG_6583c.jpg

4-6v6 20W mono amp with 12" field coil speakers, dusty.

IMG_20200308_133159121c.jpg

IMG_6579c.jpg

I need a recommendation for a relatively affordable stereo rack to put my turntable, receiver, etc. on. My current one puts the turntable way too high to handle easily without a stepladder.

I don't know what's out there anymore for racks. I was talking to my brother about that a couple weeks ago. Wall mount TV's, streaming video, little class D amps, bluetooth, it all changes the average person's dimensional needs. I've seen some cool DIY stuff that didn't look too complicated.

I started converting an old console TV (1969) with sliding doors into a stereo rack for the bedroom, but that's been on hold for a while.

John: I spend most of my life in a power chair so I like you will have something a little bit closer down towards the waistline. Mine is too tall right now but I can live with it temporarily, but down the road I know that I'm going to have to get one about waistline so that I can roll up to it in the chair and not have to get out of the chair.

I think I like the Monoprice the best of the ones I've seen, so far. I'll look into getting one at some point. (An OCFD is next on my list, so I can get on HF with my new {to me} Ten-Tec Eagle!)

I think I like the Monoprice the best of the ones I've seen, so far. I'll look into getting one at some point. (An OCFD is next on my list, so I can get on HF with my new {to me} Ten-Tec Eagle!)
Awesome, not to derail the thread (1 post response), what are you using for an antenna tuner for the OCFD? I have an older MFJ VersaTunerIII. Loved that with the Windom!

Awesome, not to derail the thread (1 post response), what are you using for an antenna tuner for the OCFD? I have an older MFJ VersaTunerIII. Loved that with the Windom!
Have a line on an AT599K to go inside my Ten-Tec Eagle. It's going to cost a bit, but then I won't have to fiddle with knobs. Never had to use an external tuner in the past when I've owned Windoms. (Fritzel FD-4 and a TS-2000)

Have a line on an AT599K to go inside my Ten-Tec Eagle. It's going to cost a bit, but then I won't have to fiddle with knobs. Never had to use an external tuner in the past when I've owned Windoms. (Fritzel FD-4 and a TS-2000)

You guys are more than welcome to add in HAM radio talk. My first radio was a TS2000 (which I never got to get hooked up before I had to sell it.)

Old Garrard auto-changer turntable looked awful when I bought it at a yard sale. It had been stored in an old "house", I thought maybe the cartridge would be worth a buck to play beat-up records, and may be able to re-use the wood plinth. Brought it home, plugged it in. Of course, it worked great in manual mode (see video) and even sounded nice. "Sigh"...

55 years old and still trying it's best to work after being piled in a damp dump for however many years, I just couldn't bear to kill it. It's not worth an hour's time in dollars, but it was too nasty to keep as it was. Gunked up with grease that had turned to peanut butter, and a lot of zinc fluff.

IMG_5463.jpg
Garrard model 50 tonearm base.jpg

IMG_5930.jpg

It kept me occupied for a while during chemotherapy when sitting was about all I could do. Stripped it down and repainted it something besides drab industrial gray.

IMG_5605.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5864.MOV
    32.8 MB
Last edited:
While on the Garrard subject, this SL95 is nothing to write home about, I just liked the looks. Power cord was cut, so it hasn't been tested yet. Hopefully, it won't require the mechanical breakdown that the Model 50 did. Given it's age and the grease they used back then, that's probably wishful thinking.

SL95 002.jpg

SL95 003.jpg

Here are some photos of the 1950 RCA Victor TV console I inherited from my dad. He bought it new. I kept it running when I was in high school in the 70's. My dad had a part-time TV/radio repair business in the 50's-60's, which influenced my career choice. He passed away at 95 last year and I hauled the TV from NY to NM.

The first photo is the console sitting in my old bedroom in my parents' house in upstate NY. The last photo shows it sitting in my spare room in Las Cruces NM. The pair of RCA "dogs" were won by my father 50 years ago... a symbolic significance to me. :)

Someday I may get it running again. I have all my dad's old test equipment, collection of tubes, and pile of TV/radio repair books.

TV, AM/FM+FM-stereo-mux(!), 45 changer and 78 changer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SGzuyvpvRPi5wboh7

IMG_3752p.jpg
IMG_4175p.jpg

Last edited:
XYL and I went to a big flea-market/yard sale type thing that they hold near the Ace Hardware in Covington, Ga. Found a gentleman who was selling vinyl for $1/10. Picked up $2 worth of old vinyl. At that price, some I may be able to clean up to play well, some not, but I'm not losing (much) money.

Once the King of cassette decks . . . once! Where are they now? Collecting dust in some closet.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 26
Picked up a non-working turntable for $5 today. Direct drive, looked like it was missing the headshell/cartridge. Went ahead and cleaned it up and used it last night as the platform to use my Vinyl Vac. Worked pretty well! My "Nozze del Figaro" LP sounded MUCH better after having sucked all the grime out of the grooves.

Latest posts

Back