Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first cut is "Wild Dog" from the Album "The Clarke/Duke Project." It brings back great memories.
Ah thanks, I figured out my confusion: I thought the Youtube title referred to a Stanley Clarke/Bela Fleck collaboration. They *have* collaborated, but that's not what's playing in that video.

And *then* I realized I just could have Shazam'ed it and had my answer. :)

Well I thought I would chime in here on stereo. Got quite a concert. Vincent sp-332 power amp, Vincent CD-S1.1 disc player, Cambridge Audio Pre amp, 2 HP-201 Pangea tube amps, Woo audio tube amp, Rega -1 with British flag, Sansui 717 tuner, (vintage best tuner ever built in my opinion in its time ) Onkyo cassette player, Bellari tube pre amp for turntable, Cambridge audio disc player, beringer sonic exciter (converted to stereo) Beringer ultramizer (converted to strereo ) (2)Beringer ultragraph pro (converted to stereo) Technics sl-2000 turntable vintage, Onkyo cassette player, Record cleaner, Pioneer SR-303 reverb amp (vintage ) Pioneer graphic sg-9500 EQ, (vintage) Yamaha intergraded amp, (2) heat cooling fans. All Pangea connects and power cords, (2) Furman protection components, (4) Cerwin Vega XLS-215, Pair Martin Logan 10s, (2) pair Martin Logan 12s, PSB wall speakers, Pair Cambridge Audio speakers, pair Fluance biploers small, pair Fluance bipolers large, (2) Cambridge subs, Bose series 7 speakers, All connected. One side setup for really blasting, Other side stack for calm relaxing listing. Over 100 pre amp tubes back to 1948 for the tube amps. Also a power cord and connection cord MESS ! I am very anal about my tunes, When I hear someting that is not right it is a God awful nightmare trying to find it ! HA !! All connected also to my computer to stream, Cambridge audio DAC, from computer, A couple of Dragonflys. All in my listening room.. That is a enough typing !!
You win the "Who's got the most hardware" award

View attachment 461501

I am building a set of La Scala clones, a very efficient design from the 60 from Paul Klipsch from back when there were only low wattage tube amps available. This is just the dry fit after cutting the plywood. The components and crossovers are a bit more up-to-date then the originals. Has a 15" woofer in the folded horn underneath, a 2" compression driver for the tractix horn squawker, and a similar compression horn tweeter. Will also by building in Orchard Audio monobloc amps into the horn cabinet, making them optionally powered speakers, or I can use an external amp
one of the guys on the Stereo Integrity Facebook page ordered a new SQL 15 and put it in his lascala and said it blew away the standard Klipsch driver and it played an octave lower and had so much more additional output that he was going to have to put an extra brace internally as the cabinet was vibrating too bad because of all of the output
uIrhhCp.jpg

one of the guys on the Stereo Integrity Facebook page ordered a new SQL 15 and put it in his lascala and said it blew away the standard Klipsch driver and it played an octave lower and had so much more additional output that he was going to have to put an extra brace internally as the cabinet was vibrating too bad because of all of the output

These Stereo Integrity woofers are sure to pump out the bass, enough to make your pant legs flap. If that's important, then fine, some music really benefits from that, like metal. And then double bass bins, no wonder he chose to reinforce the sides. Enjoy!

I've tried to preserve the balance of the original components in my choices for my La Scala's, to get them to sound good together. I chose the Crites CW1526, made for Bob Crites by Emminence to be a replacement for the Klipsch K-33E woofers used in the La Scala's and Klipschorns. The whole package has to sound good together, and actually the quality of the crossovers make most of the difference. I want to have them sound like the singer or guitarist is right there in the room with me, and then at reasonably low volumes as well. I'm looking for a different kind of enjoyment than you get with your overpowering bass.

This is a list of the components I'm using, including the monobloc amps:
1619445118845.png

Last edited:
Speaking of audio. We have an old 12V Federal police car siren that we use for a heads up warning if a rocket is coming in ballistic or drifting towards people. The problem is that when it is plugged into our PA system it produces a constant hiss over the PA speakers. Would a noise filter of some kind solve that problem? What filter would be recommended? The PA is a 12V system with 1/4" jacks for sound input.
Thanks for any advice.

Speaking of audio. We have an old 12V Federal police car siren that we use for a heads up warning if a rocket is coming in ballistic or drifting towards people. The problem is that when it is plugged into our PA system it produces a constant hiss over the PA speakers. Would a noise filter of some kind solve that problem? What filter would be recommended? The PA is a 12V system with 1/4" jacks for sound input.
Thanks for any advice.
Sounds like the signal coming from the siren may be too high for the PA system. Question: does the hiss start the moment the siren cable gets plugged in, without the siren signal? That may be helped with shunting the cable using a 1 K resistor (standard impedance for some audio systems). The noise would reduce because the 1 K shunts higher values.
Of course, it could be something else completely, maybe picking up noise from a nearby telephone because the cable is unshielded, that sort of thing. But the resistor trick may be enough to make the hiss bearable.
Caveat: I'm no expert on audio electronics, there are certainly brighter bulbs with more knowledge on this kind of problem.

Something I was told a long time ago when I bought a receiver based on how quiet it was when auditioned in the showroom. Took it home and hooked it up to my Dad's old speakers. Heard a constant hiss when not playing music. Went back to the dealer and he explained to my early 20s self that the receiver wasn't designed to work with old, very efficient, speakers.

The sirens are horns, which are an efficient design to begin with. The noise floor of the PA is higher than the efficiency of the siren. Therefore, you hear the hiss. It's not that the siren overpowers the PA. It's the other way around. The PA overpowers the siren.

The hiss starts as soon as the audio out is plugged into the PA system. The audio out is just 2 wires that would normally be hooked up to a speaker. Those 2 wires are connected to a 1/4" plug that can be plugged into the PA. When the siren button is pushed you can't tell if there is any hissing because the siren is so dang loud but when it is not being used you hear the constant hissing until it is unplugged.
Would the 1K resistor go between the two + and - speaker wires before the 1/4" plug?

The audio out is just 2 wires that would normally be hooked up to a speaker.

That should explain it, the levels are way too high for what the PA is expecting as an input. Keep the volume knob turned way down on the siren, though.

Mounting the 1K resistor anywhere along the cable should work, but usually close to the plug on the PA input works best. If it doesn't work, it's usually easy to remove the resistor. If it works, tape it down to the cable, or shrink a piece of shrink-wrap around it to protect it.

If you dump too much power through the resistor by turning up the volume on the siren, it may fail. There are wire wound power resistors that would take care of that, depending on how much it's being amplified. Because of the high resistance, it'll probably be OK for the short time you run a siren.

Hope it works for you

You win the "Who's got the most hardware" award
Who puts this hardware statement on here? Oh and by the way I have more but this is the power hookup.. One thing I do not know if you all out there are into tubes but I can tell ya it is great to tube roll and hear how the tubes modify the sound,, it is neat to tube roll.

My Schiit arrived today. FedEx was supposed to deliver it Thursday, adult signature required. While I was running an inventory, I received a text from FedEx that they moved the delivery date to...TODAY!

I got home JUST before the FedEx driver pulled up with my new turntable! Schiit Sol with the Audio-Technica cartridge.

My Schiit arrived today. FedEx was supposed to deliver it Thursday, adult signature required. While I was running an inventory, I received a text from FedEx that they moved the delivery date to...TODAY!

I got home JUST before the FedEx driver pulled up with my new turntable! Schiit Sol with the Audio-Technica cartridge.
h6tEoLw.gif

Who puts this hardware statement on here? Oh and by the way I have more but this is the power hookup.. One thing I do not know if you all out there are into tubes but I can tell ya it is great to tube roll and hear how the tubes modify the sound,, it is neat to tube roll.
Navison amps from Vietnam. PRETTY
WqQ6idt.jpg

Just wrapped up my guitar amp build. First time building one on my own. I’ve had several vintage amps I’ve fixed up, but nothing I’ve built myself. I was pretty nervous bringing it to life on the variac, but it passed all the tests. Just made one change to the cathode bias resistor for the output tubes to lower their dissipation. That’s the big difference between guitar amps and hi-if amps....distortion is good on a guitar amp. Here are the pics. Glowing tubes are still kinda magical to me.
328B7EC9-10A8-4E62-B49C-4D6E097068DC.jpeg48A9AB58-BA84-4C72-9B0C-2306C5751BC1.jpeg702D2EFE-E925-4964-A0BF-96BCA6C59C07.jpeg88D04FD4-1975-4B2A-BBB5-66C5B3E89F31.jpegDFE01687-89BD-4592-A728-5B3F16F5C191.jpeg62EE9627-71F5-44D5-A1C9-B31ECDD9EB13.jpeg4FC2E770-8464-48B1-AEE6-7B2D21434DF3.jpeg

My Revox B791 TT, fully automatic so that I never have to get close to the cartridge with my messed up hands. Linear tracking with Shure cartridge
ZVMPNMh.jpg

The Definitive Technology BP2000 speakers I recently gave to my son for his Home Theater main front speakers. The last 2 auditions I gave produced "goosebumps" on them

M1ytubY.jpg

time to bump the thread, or we've lost interest very early
I've always wanted to try out a stereo egg chair. They say most of the sound stays inside and it provides near-field listening which is usually great sounding. if you've never tried it you should sit in a chair and put the speakers so that they are just a arms length away at your fingertips so they should be about a foot or so in front of your chair and this eliminates all room interaction and provide a really great soundstage.
l7fz9H8.jpg

time to bump the thread, or we've lost interest very early
I've always wanted to try out a stereo egg chair. They say most of the sound stays inside and it provides near-field listening which is usually great sounding. if you've never tried it you should sit in a chair and put the speakers so that they are just a arms length away at your fingertips so they should be about a foot or so in front of your chair and this eliminates all room interaction and provide a really great soundstage.
l7fz9H8.jpg
Back in the early 70s, I got to sit in a stereo egg chair at a hifi shop in downtown Bellaire, Texas. I clearly remember listening to the Allman Brothers singing "Midnight Rider." It was way cool!

Has anyone tried an ambiosonics system? I love the effect of the ambi minidsp plug in but I do not like the cheap adc and dac in the chain. I could hear the degradation

Back