Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cables....one of the fastest ways to start an argument with audiophile hobbyists!

So, when I was waiting for my Hel 2, I was trying to find a decent set of USB A to USB C cables. Made the mistake of going to YouTube and looking up opiions...

Found a guy on YT that had "tested" USB cables and found a "significant" difference between USB cables. Oh, really? I replied, "How can the same cable move a file bit-for-bit identical from one HDD to another HDD with no errors, yet can't copy a bitstream of audio accurately?"

He replied that when you're transferring audio, it's not digital, it's analog.

Say what?!?!

I posted a copy of the official standards for USB Audio. He blocked me and called me a "reality denier."

/sigh

Ok, I couldn't tell that were that thin. I'm sorry they're gone.

What were you driving them with?
Cinepro 6 channel amp bridged down to 3 channels. 2 of the channels put out 1400 watts into each speaker and the amp also has 3.5 db of headroom so it can put out 2800 watts for transients. the other bridged channel feeds 1400 watts to the subwoofer which is about the minimum amount of power it wants. Most users feed it 6K watts.

Cables....one of the fastest ways to start an argument with audiophile hobbyists!

So, when I was waiting for my Hel 2, I was trying to find a decent set of USB A to USB C cables. Made the mistake of going to YouTube and looking up opiions...

Found a guy on YT that had "tested" USB cables and found a "significant" difference between USB cables. Oh, really? I replied, "How can the same cable move a file bit-for-bit identical from one HDD to another HDD with no errors, yet can't copy a bitstream of audio accurately?"

He replied that when you're transferring audio, it's not digital, it's analog.

Say what?!?!

I posted a copy of the official standards for USB Audio. He blocked me and called me a "reality denier."

/sigh

I present the $1000 Ethernet cable.

https://soundapproach.com/audioques...bxwjWT2DNQnmTOgaIxxeWJJ4rmhdLuOIaAtVtEALw_wcB
I have and will pay for nice speaker cables though. To a point...

Last edited:
More magnepan 3.7 speakers-
HZRTfOQ.jpg

V7z0Y8t.jpg

My dream system-
3feqTaY.jpg

You would be smart to invest now in a hearing aid company...something tells me you will be needing one sometime in the future.
Actually its not the low frequencies that damage your hearing, it's the mid and high frequencies that damage your hearing. Feeling the bass gets you emotionally involved with music.

Actually its not the low frequencies that damage your hearing, it's the mid and high frequencies that damage your hearing. Feeling the bass gets you emotionally involved with music.

Sitting in traffic and having someone’s subwoofer rattle my windows makes me want to damage more than just their hearing, lol.

Some old Zapco amps. Outboard power supply and optional capacitance. The "disco" logo gives away the oldest one, from 1979. The other two are mid and later 80's. These are 75WPC @ 4Ω with the 60V power supply and 100 WPC with the 80V supply.

151 200 and 150L.JPG

1979 PA150L and 150LPS .JPG

Yup, and someone who puts something that big in their auto probably has the powerful mid/high equipment to go with it....all stuffed in a small box.....yup...sure thing....that’s the real kicker.

I'm verifying some speakers still work (not doing measurements or anything like that, just that they don't make crazy rattle sounds and/or make no sound. . .). I had to re-check the title of this thread, as I thought it was something like 'High-end audio/video' , but thankfully, it is just 'dedicated audio/video' so I'm allowed to post this.

I am testing Bose Acoustimass 6, Acoustimass 10, Series 21 and Series 301 speakers that are going to be put in an estate sale tomorrow. I'm using an old Denon stereo amp, as I don't happen to have a surround sound amp that I can easily get to the connections on and I'm doing it in the garage, as that's the most awesome room in the house and the closest to my truck.

I was amazed by how much I had to turn down the treble and bass knobs on the Denon to keep me in the same room - probably about 25% on the 6 and 10. The 21's were just such junk that they have literally no point other than making some sound and if you didn't have any surround speakers and wanted some, I guess they would be ok compared to nothing.

The 301's surprised me a little. Obviously I have them oriented wrong and right next to each other, so nothing of any value is gained about actual sound quality, but I centered the bass and treble to make them sound better. I think I'm going to hold on to these for a few weeks and put them in the bedroom vinyl set-up just to see what difference I hear with the current speakers. I'm pretty sure they will hit Craigslist or Ebay soon after that, as the cabinet quality is low bad, which implies that everything else is low quality.

Anyway, pics or it didn't happen. . .

The main lessones learned is that I'm not a fan of sub/satellite systems and you shouldn't test the functionality of speakers litening to music you like. You end up listening to crappy speakers through a makeshift system for a half hour before switching tests. You could have actually listenend to the speakers in 10 seconds and spent the rest of the time listening to music you like on a system you like. . .

Sandy.

Attachments

• IMG_4934.JPG
    IMG_4934.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4935.JPG
    IMG_4935.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4937.JPG
    IMG_4937.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4940.JPG
    IMG_4940.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4942.JPG
    IMG_4942.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 14
Headphones are my thing. Nothing compares to a tube amp and great pair headphones.

I typically buy them broken and repair them - amazing how a $4k pair of headphones can go for $500.....

View attachment 461295View attachment 461296View attachment 461297
I'm a headphone junkie too. Before Covid, we had a local NC headphone meet every year, so I was able to go in to a room with most of the best headphones out there and audition them. But those photos make me bow down down to your excellence. WOW

The 301's surprised me a little. Obviously I have them oriented wrong and right next to each other, so nothing of any value is gained about actual sound quality, but I centered the bass and treble to make them sound better. I think I'm going to hold on to these for a few weeks and put them in the bedroom vinyl set-up just to see what difference I hear with the current speakers.

I had 301's all through my college days from dorm-dorm-apartment-house. Enjoyed them and actually kind of miss them but maybe its just nostalgia kicking in.

Me, it's been Krell monoblocs and Klipschorns and a room big enough for them...

And enough time to listen!

How many car amps do you have? WOW

Just a few more, but not nearly as many as I'd like! Sadly missing examples from Linear Power, Soundstream and HiFonics. Can't find any more pics and the amps are hard to get to right now.

Stereo Integrity M3 Carbon cone midrange drivers

I've said it before- those are really cool. I assume they're capable of pretty close to full range?

1619355127776.png

I am building a set of La Scala clones, a very efficient design from the 60 from Paul Klipsch from back when there were only low wattage tube amps available. This is just the dry fit after cutting the plywood. The components and crossovers are a bit more up-to-date then the originals. Has a 15" woofer in the folded horn underneath, a 2" compression driver for the tractix horn squawker, and a similar compression horn tweeter. Will also by building in Orchard Audio monobloc amps into the horn cabinet, making them optionally powered speakers, or I can use an external amp

Cans (headphones) are a really good way to get a taste of high end audio without too horrible of a price tag. I still have a pair of Sennheiser HD800's I bought while I was doing field service and 80% travel - good money with no life!
And there are tons of good projects out there for making amps. You can start really cheap and work up.

Horn loaded speaks are fun, still remember hearing Klipschorns at the Navy PX - when they came from Arkansas. When well set up and listening distance is correct, they have a live quality that is unique in the market. Frequency response vs dynamic range is another fun argument. Hard to have both w/o an extremely large room. The K-horns went to 40Hz in a properly sized room and were impressive.

Cheers / Robert

Horn loaded speaks are fun, still remember hearing Klipschorns at the Navy PX - when they came from Arkansas
De Klipschorns get down lower than the La Scala's, and are more room dependent. The story is that Paul Klipsch originally designed them when he was serving in the army for the PX dance nights, where he could put them in the corners. They still make Klipschorns and La Scala's in Arkansas, but more modern versions.

Well I thought I would chime in here on stereo. Got quite a concert. Vincent sp-332 power amp, Vincent CD-S1.1 disc player, Cambridge Audio Pre amp, 2 HP-201 Pangea tube amps, Woo audio tube amp, Rega -1 with British flag, Sansui 717 tuner, (vintage best tuner ever built in my opinion in its time ) Onkyo cassette player, Bellari tube pre amp for turntable, Cambridge audio disc player, beringer sonic exciter (converted to stereo) Beringer ultramizer (converted to strereo ) (2)Beringer ultragraph pro (converted to stereo) Technics sl-2000 turntable vintage, Onkyo cassette player, Record cleaner, Pioneer SR-303 reverb amp (vintage ) Pioneer graphic sg-9500 EQ, (vintage) Yamaha intergraded amp, (2) heat cooling fans. All Pangea connects and power cords, (2) Furman protection components, (4) Cerwin Vega XLS-215, Pair Martin Logan 10s, (2) pair Martin Logan 12s, PSB wall speakers, Pair Cambridge Audio speakers, pair Fluance biploers small, pair Fluance bipolers large, (2) Cambridge subs, Bose series 7 speakers, All connected. One side setup for really blasting, Other side stack for calm relaxing listing. Over 100 pre amp tubes back to 1948 for the tube amps. Also a power cord and connection cord MESS ! I am very anal about my tunes, When I hear someting that is not right it is a God awful nightmare trying to find it ! HA !! All connected also to my computer to stream, Cambridge audio DAC, from computer, A couple of Dragonflys. All in my listening room.. That is a enough typing !!

Back