Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To keep a similar Fc when doubling the cap value, as there is no change to the midrange filter.

(edit): Now able to look at the plots, the metal dome is a couple dB more sensitive but similar in response shape down low. So it makes sense that moving that up a little would help blend with the midrange roll-off.

He does final tuning by ear. I am guessing his first design was with the Be. Then substituted the fabric and didn't like what he heard and tweaked the crossover to optimize with the fabric tweeter substitution.

He does final tuning by ear. I am guessing his first design was with the Be. Then substituted the fabric and didn't like what he heard and tweaked the crossover to optimize with the fabric tweeter substitution.

I figured he'd do final tuning by ear. These decisions are very interesting, and don't always follow what seems logical on the surface.

The website suggests the design was made for the fabric dome and the Be dome is a change that can be made easily. Thus, my deductions about the cap change above.

Even as a kit, these speakers are well above my price range. I'd love to listen to a pair and am hoping to convince someone I know to build them!

I figured he'd do final tuning by ear. These decisions are very interesting, and don't always follow what seems logical on the surface.

The website suggests the design was made for the fabric dome and the Be dome is a change that can be made easily. Thus, my deductions about the cap change above.

Even as a kit, these speakers are well above my price range. I'd love to listen to a pair and am hoping to convince someone I know to build them!
I have heard (hearsay) that the Satori Be tweeter is a little aggressive, so maybe pushing the fc up tames it a bit.

nice looking crossover
MMLBZ4F.jpg

Are there any guides out there for pricing used speakers? I wanna make someone a fair deal on the below NHT speakers. Prices on eBay are all over the place.

Attachments

• IMG_20230116_151328276_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230116_151328276_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Are there any guides out there for pricing used speakers? I wanna make someone a fair deal on the below NHT speakers. Prices on eBay are all over the place.

With eBay, you have to look at a few things to get a gauge. The picture quality (good detailed pics allow better prices), complete descriptions with details and the speakers' history to assure a buyer you're not just flipping something you picked up at Goodwill this morning and don't really know how well they work. A good, informative listing will usually bring fair value.

There are often sellers who list a similar item just to unload it quickly, so a low price outlier doesn't really count.

But it's a worldwide market place, and a good indicator of what you can expect to get in a reasonable amount of time. I'll spend some time researching sold items before listing anything of much value.

You may have some success getting valuation at https://www.usaudiomart.com/. And it's a good place to list them if you have time to wait for a buyer.

In my stereo room I'm in the middle of 4 NHT towers and a center Channel so I am familiar with that line. What you will sell them for is likely $200-275 on FB Marketplace locally. Trying to sell it on a national level, shipping will keep people from buying it once they see how much the shipping costs are going to be. been there, done that quite a few times. :(

These are like new, but they are black and a bit big so they no longer work with the 'decor'.
There's no such thing as TOO BIG of speakers. :p Even though the WAF ( Wife Acceptance Factor) can be rather low, "When it comes to great stereo, you can't beat big speakers"

We'll, we replaced them with hand me down Bose Cubes because they are small and white. Not my preference but that's what I had. I did use a different sub because the Bose uses a proprietary plug that has to feed from the Bose receiver. Not interested in replacing my Denon receiver with the janky Bose unit.

Yeah, there was clearly a difference. My wife even noticed. But alas, it's all for the greater good of looking nice. Who cares about sound quality? 😳

Incoming - I ordered a miniDSP SHD for my HiFi today.
Massive tinkering required once it gets here - hope I can find the time.
Already have a UMIK-2 - looks like I'm going to become a REW guru ASAP.

Sure hope it doesn't degrade my balanced Levinson signal path too much that it's worth the bonus for LF room correction with Dirac Live and XO to my SVS Ultra SB-16 sub.

Also hope I can drive the streamer without ROON - what a spendy app! Hard Pass.
Instead I might push the digital output of my Bluesound Node though the miniDSP digital input.
Also - might need to ditch Amazon HD streaming for Qpbuz.........hope I like their catalog.
Crazy Daze ahead.

Sure hope it doesn't degrade my balanced Levinson signal path too much that it's worth the bonus for LF room correction with Dirac Live and XO to my SVS Ultra SB-16 sub.

Instead I might push the digital output of my Bluesound Node though the miniDSP digital input.
Also - might need to ditch Amazon HD streaming for Qpbuz.........hope I like their catalog.
Crazy Daze ahead.
you're going to become the guru of stereo here at TRF.

I've been running an SHD in my rig for a couple years, it's a terrific box. And Dirac Live is *very* nice once you've got a good calibration. Have fun!

Crazy Daze ahead.
Qobuz is great. I have had it for about a year and a half now. It has everything.

If the miniDSP SHD has an Ambiophonics plug-in you should give it a try. Its very fun and mind-blowing with some good source material.

I sure miss having my own place instead of renting the condo that I am in now as I would love to do on wall with these:
QELekIH.jpg

Last edited:
Back