Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zfWQncp.jpg

So funny coincidence, when Teddy asked about DAC vs streamer the other day, I had just ordered the DAC that I had wanted for a loooong time. It arrived this morning.

Very recently Schiit released a new version of their flagship DAC, the Yggdrasil+. This triggered all the stock of the old model to go on closeout. I was able to grab the flavor and color I wanted, "Less is More" in silver. And I like this version of the case better, anyway.

It replaced a few DACs that I had in rotation/experimentation duties. Most recently a Schiit Modi3.

Here's a picture of the setup. We're still waiting for our actual entertainment center, so unfortunately it's gotta live on the floor for the minute. It's connected with a hand me down Audioquest USB cable full of snake oil and batteries. The speaker cables are homemade Kimber Clones with wire from GR research.

So far it's reasonably neato. And massive. My wife has proclaimed that it sounds exactly like the Modi, but she's glad I'm happy.

After some serious listening I'll let you know how my effective placebo is 😉

BBE2642E-AD16-469A-95F2-DC96ABA892E5.jpeg

2098AEE1-F0A8-452D-AFAF-5F3A8D032929.jpeg

So funny coincidence, when Teddy asked about DAC vs streamer the other day, I had just ordered the DAC that I had wanted for a loooong time. It arrived this morning.

Very recently Schiit released a new version of their flagship DAC, the Yggdrasil+. This triggered all the stock of the old model to go on closeout. I was able to grab the flavor and color I wanted, "Less is More" in silver. And I like this version of the case better, anyway.

It replaced a few DACs that I had in rotation/experimentation duties. Most recently a Schiit Modi3.

Here's a picture of the setup. We're still waiting for our actual entertainment center, so unfortunately it's gotta live on the floor for the minute. It's connected with a hand me down Audioquest USB cable full of snake oil and batteries. The speaker cables are homemade Kimber Clones with wire from GR research.

So far it's reasonably neato. And massive. My wife has proclaimed that it sounds exactly like the Modi, but she's glad I'm happy.

After some serious listening I'll let you know how my effective placebo is 😉

View attachment 547659

View attachment 547660

Nice PrimaLuna! How do you like the Forte's?

Nice PrimaLuna! How do you like the Forte's?

Thanks!

I love the Fortes. They constantly blow my kind, and are pretty addictive. They've even won over a very skeptical wife. She's dubbed them "life changing".

The PrimaLuna pairs really well with the Fortes. They're both billed as fun and musical in many reviews, and I'm hoping the Yggy adds to that. So far so good!

I'll never understand the marketing strategy behind Shiit and their product names. :facepalm:
According to Jason Stoddard, his wife came up with the idea to name the company Schiit.

While they're mostly from Norse mythology (Freya, Folkvangr, Asgard, Modi, Tyr, Vidar, Ragnarok, Yggdrasil, Bifrost), they do occasionally stray outside the Norse mythos. The Sol and the SYS come to mind. Sol is the turntable, of which I own one, and the SYS is short for "Switch Your Schiit."

Like @watheyak, I like the names. I especially appreciate the irreverence inherent in the marketing. When there's so many overly pretentious audiophile companies out there, Schiit is making audiophile grade products at pretty affordable prices.

I love my pile of Schiit.

Newsflash: The Yggy is great, but I'm still listening carefully and will be for a while.

I think the next audiophile gadget I need is an area rug. And the rest of our furniture.

It's always been a bit bright in this new-to-us house and I think I've just gotten used to it.

According to Jason Stoddard, his wife came up with the idea to name the company Schiit.

While they're mostly from Norse mythology (Freya, Folkvangr, Asgard, Modi, Tyr, Vidar, Ragnarok, Yggdrasil, Bifrost), they do occasionally stray outside the Norse mythos. The Sol and the SYS come to mind. Sol is the turntable, of which I own one, and the SYS is short for "Switch Your Schiit."

Like @watheyak, I like the names. I especially appreciate the irreverence inherent in the marketing. When there's so many overly pretentious audiophile companies out there, Schiit is making audiophile grade products at pretty affordable prices.

I love my pile of Schiit.
I've ways enjoyed Schit's aesthetic, philosophy and snark.

Even the instructions are funny.

Newsflash: The Yggy is great, but I'm still listening carefully and will be for a while.

I think the next audiophile gadget I need is an area rug. And the rest of our furniture.

It's always been a bit bright in this new-to-us house and I think I've just gotten used to it.
An area rug and a good listening chair and ottoman are important. I found a nice Oriental rug at a tent sale last year, and paired it with an IKEA Poang chair and ottoman. Comfortable and good looks. If I could afford it, I'd get a Herman Miller Eames chair and ottoman. They're even on sale atm.

CPR was given to my Troels 3WC-15 project today and the project is fully beating! Back to work. Layout of crossover components and I plan to build the crossover boards over the weekend into Monday. Next project, if it occurs, will be a DSP crossover or DSP plate amps.
IMG_20230107_202700195.jpg

I took advantage of the Revel sale and upgraded my HT:
Setup now includes:
2x F206, C205, 2x SB-3000, Denon AVR-X4700H, 65" LG C1, DP-UB420 plus a pair of B&W in-walls for the rear surrounds....older units installed when we built the house so I forget the model.

Good for now until the 77" S95C comes down in price from whatever it intro's at....Black Friday!
Revel-HT.jpg

I took advantage of the Revel sale and upgraded my HT:
Setup now includes:
2x F206, C205, 2x SB-3000, Denon AVR-X4700H, 65" LG C1, DP-UB420 plus a pair of B&W in-walls for the rear surrounds....older units installed when we built the house so I forget the model.

Good for now until the 77" S95C comes down in price from whatever it intro's at....Black Friday!
View attachment 556420
WOW, I bet that sounds fantastic thanks for the picture, I'm highly envious.

Yes, nice upgrade.
Huge difference in mid-range clarity and overall imaging.

Had ELAC's then my daughter moved and and finally had a big enough place so she got my hand-me-downs and I got a chance to upgrade. I was fortunate that Revel was having a sale.

First bought the Revel M106's for L&R, but decided to send them back and get the F206's instead.
Thank you Crutchfield for a great return policy.

Held onto the M106's long enough to set them up in the preferred ear-level, at the side surround position and give them a listen. Was thankful to learn I didn't appreciate a great difference between that setup and the B&W in-walls which are high on the back wall as was in vogue when we built the house. I say thankfully since they had ZERO spouse acceptance in that position. Got to play - now the M106's go back.

Now I need a pair of Revel F228Be's for the listening room .... waiting for that big bonus...

CPR was given to my Troels 3WC-15 project today and the project is fully beating! Back to work. Layout of crossover components and I plan to build the crossover boards over the weekend into Monday. Next project, if it occurs, will be a DSP crossover or DSP plate amps.
View attachment 555597
Go Mini-DSP - thinking I want the miniDSP SHD or the miniDSP Flex for the listening room.

Last edited:
Back