Dedicated Camera Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I guess I have to buy ANOTHER key chain camera to fool around with!

Is there any particular place you got the cam from... eBay? Cause I'm thinking to get one soon. :tongue:

Pick1e,

Hey, thanks for the info on the camera interiors...I've been wanting to do something similar but wasn't ready to play with really tiny mirrors to try to get the camera view to bend around a corner.

Also, the cameras I have take microSD cards, so that's one more opening...

Anyway, looking forward to your results and techniques!

FC

Hummm I might have to do this too. Get the HD 808 type 11 keychain cam it may cost more, but it does record in 720p HD. Its about $40 bucks instead of the $15 I paid for mine.

808 type 11 keychain cam

Cool idea. I ended up with two cameras and one of them might just end up in a dedicated rocket similar to what you are doing. That's pretty slick, I must say. :)

Dedicated camera rocket? I have this old one. :D

People have been building dedicated camera rockets for almost as long as they have been building model rockets. I remember the story in one of the original versions of _Handbook of Model Rocketry_ about the cluster rocket with the 8mm camera in it. Nevertheless I think the O.P. did a very good job with his.

DSC_8030b.jpg

If I may be so bold? I would suggest using a bit of clear plastic rod to insert through the body tube and CA to the face of the LED. the light will be transmitted to the outside face of the rocket and you can sand it smooth to the finish. you can do the same with the push buttons, but ya gotta be really careful with the CA in case ya miss, and end up binding the push button function.

otherwise? Im completly stealing this Idea! :D

I built a dedicated camera rocket wherein the camera is installed in what would usually be the place where the motor goes. It points straight down between the fins.

The motors are located well forward using a FlisKit 24mm canted motor mount.

When launched there’s no smoke or other obstruction of the picture.

NOW THATS FREEKIN COOL! I'm currently in a bidding war for one of these on ebay, I need new perspective in video footage for my next launch day video. Every video I've seen has been looking down, I want to get some looking up, filming ejection and chute deployment.

I really like you'r idea there, very inovative!

I have played around (and am still playing with) camera video rockets. The are all air brake recovery, some look sideways on ascent, switch to look down on descent. (spyder2) Look up RocketRadiologist on YouTube and look at the "Spyder" videos. One key difference on mine is that they are designed to try to get good video on the way DOWN.

Latest is spydercam4

I just got my keychain cam in the mail and I am trying to figure out how to modify my old Astrocam carrier to carry the cam.

Or, I might order up one of Semroc's Mini-Omega kits and try to fix that up into a Vidcameroc.

Last edited:
I just got my keychain cam in the mail and I am trying to figure out how to modify my old Astrocam carrier to carry the cam.

Or, I might order up one of Semroc's Mini-Omega kits and try to fix that up into a Vidcameroc.

Semroc is about to release a full-size Omega clone which has a Cineroc-style payload section in which you could place a camera.

I already have an Omega clone and I bought the parts from Semroc to build the "Cineroc" for it. It's one of a long list of things in my To Do list.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Semroc is about to release a full-size Omega clone which has a Cineroc-style payload section in which you could place a camera.

I already have an Omega clone and I bought the parts from Semroc to build the "Cineroc" for it. It's one of a long list of things in my To Do list.

-- Roger

Actually, I think the Mini-Omega, with the BT-50-ish main tube and BT-55 payload tube, might be better suited to launch keychain cams.

The original Omega was built big (24mm D-engine BT-50 motor mounts in a BT-60 tube) to accommodate the Cineroc in both size and weight. Even though the Cineroc was a marvel of its day, today's keychain cams are much smaller and lighter so I think a smaller rocket could do the job.

Cut a lengthwise slot to hold the cam, just fit it in the slot, wrap it with a turn of plastic electrical tape, push the button and go.

(Plus of course you could cook up a Mini-Omega minumum-diameter version using 24mm D and E motors that would really get up and scoot.)

Last edited:
Actually, I think the Mini-Omega, with the BT-50-ish main tube and BT-55 payload tube, might be better suited to launch keychain cams.

Ah, but that just wouldn't have the same nostalgia factor. At least not for for me.

Back in 1970-something, I saved my allowance for weeks (it may have been months) to buy the Omega/Cineroc which I had placed on lay-away at the local Base Exchange. The Omega was the coolest rocket I flew as a kid and the Cineroc was an amazing piece of technology. D motors were so big and powerful (and expensive) that I only flew it on D motors a few times. Later I used C6 motors. I never flew it two-stage - one D motor was scary enough!

I've got to find the video tape with the transfer of my once Cineroc film on it. It's funny. I forgot the blast deflector so I used a piece of aluminum foil. The foil was no match for the big, scary D motor.

-- Roger

Hey pickle

This is excellent! Great video, looks like you got some real altittude there.

You posted in you'r forst thread that this may have been done before, I started a thread on the watering hole forum under (has anyone seen this) check it out, at the fifteen second mark they install a devise that looks simular to you'rs.

Thaks for posting the video!

This is so awesome. I wish someone would mass produce a kit like this available in various body tube sizes.

Unfortunately, this rocket was lost in a corn field on its second voyage last fall. It has been made into cereal by now. I will rebuild it :)

Is that why my Frosted Flakes had a distinctly "balsa" taste to them??

Hehehe...

Sorry you lost your rocket... that always stinks...

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild it... we can make it better than it was before... better... stronger... faster...."

Later! OL JR :)

Back