Quantcast

Decorative Fillets For HPRs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Neilw

Simulates with KSP
Reaction score
Hello,

I built one of Giant Leap Rocketry's kits last year (the Vertical Assault). During the construction, the fin area was left a bit messy. There aren't really any fillets and the over-wide fin slots were just filled in with a high-strength Loctite epoxy.

Anyways, the rocket made a (relatively) good flight without paint and with that messy fin epoxy arrangment. Now I'm thinking of giving it a nice coat of paint and I've been trying to find something to make the fin-fillets.

I'm looking for something plastic-y and easy (like, really easy) to sand. Rugged-ness isn't too much of a factor since it doesn't need to add any strength to the fins and I'm thinking I could apply a thin coat of epoxy after it has been shaped to hold it all together.

Does anyone know a product that can do this?

Thanks

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The problem might be getting something to stick. I would sand your current surface with rough sandpaper 80 grit. Then I'd use epoxy with microballoons to fill your fillets.

Neilw

Simulates with KSP
Reaction score
Lance is right, SuperFil is a good option since you already have epoxy in place and their won't be any significant joint flex.
Alright. I'll give it a try. It's too late for a build thread but I'll make sure to give you guys a painting thread. I want to make this rocket beautiful!