Decline of Estes, again.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not on Facebook. Is it possible for me to view a person's post on FB without joining? (IANAL) If so, I don't see how it could be a violation of privacy, since there IS no privacy to be violated.

However, as a matter of courtesy I would accede to the individual's request. Though that request might have been more courteous.

Always glad to hear that a friend avoids Facebook like I do.
I don't need their brand of tracking and monetization.
That said, I have read a few FB posts with tracking/cookie shields up.

My Facebook account got locked when somebody tried to log in too many times with the wrong password. I forgot what birth date I gave them when I signed up, so I've been unable to unlock it. I still get emails when somebody sends me an invite to something, but I can't actually log in. IIRC, it was '05 or '06 when my account got locked...

The whole place is just a cesspool of scum and corruption.

A wretched hive of scum and villainy... you were right in being cautious.

The NAR-Estes Industrial Complex makes heavy use of Facebook - like - everyone is there, right? I quit FB almost two years ago, and I don't miss it. I don't feel like I am missing out. There are other ways of keeping up with manufacturer's and vendors (visit their websites, subscribe to their newsletters) and the NAR does an excellent job with communications outside of FB.

I agree with Duffy's earlier post in this long-lived thread - we ARE living in a golden age. The hobby has never been so diverse, and Estes has been revitalized. They retooled their 29mm motors and just released the A3-2T and A3-6T motors. What's there not to like?

I still wait for the Estes catalog to arrive at the local hobby shop and pick up a free copy. Yes, the tangible, physical paper catalog not made of wispy digital bits. Squirrels could actually chew it up. I know, how 20th century. But that's how I keep up with Estes these days. A massive dose of nostalgia probably inspires my methodology.

I was sad to see the Black Brandt III vanish from the pages of the latest editions. I'm glad that I bought, built and flew one a few years ago.

I still wait for the Estes catalog to arrive at the local hobby shop and pick up a free copy. Yes, the tangible, physical paper catalog not made of wispy digital bits. Squirrels could actually chew it up. I know, how 20th century. But that's how I keep up with Estes these days. A massive dose of nostalgia probably inspires my methodology.

I was sad to see the Black Brandt III vanish from the pages of the latest editions. I'm glad that I bought, built and flew one a few years ago.
You can order one from the website, I think. Not sure what or if they charge for shipping it.

I couldn't disagree more. A browse through the 2022 catalog shows many new challenging kits that have introduced or released since 2019. But Estes like the rest of the hobby industry has to find a market to stay viable. A stroll through the nearest Hobby Town (I don't consider Hobby Lobby a hobby store) will show you the trend. You will find few if any RC airplane kit, they are all RTF or ARTF. People don't want to spend the time to build, they just want to buy something and go out and fly. That is true for model rockets too, most Rocketeers spend less then a year in the hobby and if Estes wants to survive they have to offer something for them to get into the hobby. But they do still many options for long time Rocketeer like me, the Super Mars Snooper, Super Orbital Transport and the Antar come to imediate mind, but there are many other, and they introducing new builder kits each year. They also showed their commitment to the hobby by buying Goex and saving it from closing down.

We're blessed to have such a wide variety of vendors to choose from. Other than motors, and a set of 24mm to 18mm adapters, I haven't bought anything from Estes in years. But I certainly am a fan of their BP motors.

Bring back the 1/2A-0's and A3-0's and it would be the perfect golden age :D
Not perfect unless there's a C5-0 or some other B14-0 replacement.

For me, no web site can be as good for browsing as flipping paper pages in a small to middle size catalog. For a really huge catalog, maybe a well organized and implemented web site could be better, but for anything the size of the Estes catalog and a good bit bigger, paper rules. Paper for browsing, web for ordering.

For me, no web site can be as good for browsing as flipping paper pages in a small to middle size catalog. For a really huge catalog, maybe a well organized and implemented web site could be better, but for anything the size of the Estes catalog and a good bit bigger, paper rules. Paper for browsing, web for ordering.
Estes’ website is a bit on the slow side and there are a few missing features, not to mention a good number of bugs and weird stuff. If I’m looking around for ideas, I open up the catalog (the .pdf one on their site)

Why the Heckinbob does Estes keep teasing me to click this stupid shirt that I LOVE despite it being available ONLY in 3XL for the past few years when I wear Small/Medium...even going on sale regularly?!?!?

View attachment 548916
If you've ever needed an excuse for supersizing your milkshakes and cheeseburgers, this is it!

Why the Heckinbob does Estes keep teasing me to click this stupid shirt that I LOVE despite it being available ONLY in 3XL for the past few years when I wear Small/Medium...even going on sale regularly?!?!?

View attachment 548916

They're for Collectors.

comicbookguy_thecollector_victory_pose_right_image_4.png

I'm waiting for the C5-0, for the return of the F15-0 and F15-8 (which have both been out of stock for months), and for the high-thrust 24mm E that was mentioned at NARCON. Hoping the latter is available as a booster too (in fact it will be a crying shame if it isn't), but even if it isn't, a trio or quartet of those should make some chunky cluster rockets get up and scoot.

That said, I burn a ton of Estes motors from the existing lineup, both in LPR and in mid-power clusters. I have some Quest low-power motors, but black powder is so easy to live with that I expect to continue burning Estes by the truckload in these same classes of rockets for the foreseeable future.

Back