December Best Rocket Competition!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Even though there is still a couple of days left in November's voting , let's get the December contest rolling! :D

:pop: Be sure to read thru all of this posting..Most is the 'same ol same, same ol' but the important stuff is at the end(Especially sponsorship and PRIZE information!)! ;)

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. No extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.Provided there are ample entries into each class. If not, all entries are entered into one poll. If there are more then seven(7) entries for the month, the entries will be split into multiple polls based on entry sequence into the competition and a run-off will be held with the top vote recipients from each poll. Run off voting period will be 5 days.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

THEME

Easy theme this month: ANYTHING! Go all out!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Our awesome sponsor this month is Sirius Rocketry And the prize for this months winner is a choice of a $30.00 gift certificate good towards anything on the website, or a Mid-Power Interrogator Kit..So, let's get those entries rolling in!

Looks like I'll start things off with my launch pad harm agm 88,Finished last weekend,She has a Sunward baffle kit,top-flite thin mill 24"parachute and Stickershock decals,the fins are covered with label paper and is finished off in ghost gray from my airbrush.I still might cover her with future,I like'em glossy!!!She has 1 flight with an Areotech E-15-4 which was awesome!!!!! Thanks and keep up the great work everyone. John P.

harm1 (1224 x 1632).jpg

harm2 (1275 x 2976).jpg

John, That looks Sweet! I love it!

I figured it's been a while since I got in on this. so without further a due..

THis is my son Jayden, with our newest rocket, It's a 400% upscale Estes Citation patriot. it's 100% scratch built. Duel Deploy with a perfectflite hi alt 45 doing the ejection charges!

The main chute was a borrowed KSR 8 PERFECT for the job. Guess I better get one of my own

It's first flight was a month ago in Las Vegas on a Cesaroni 6 grain 38mm J381 Skidmark. it flew to 3800 feet!

Oh did i mention the decals are by Stickershock23.com

DSC00615.jpg

patriot 1 small.jpg

patriot 3 small.jpg

patriot oct 1.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

John, That looks Sweet! I love it!

I figured it's been a while since I got in on this. so without further a due..

THis is my son Jayden, with our newest rocket, It's a 400% upscale Estes Citation patriot. it's 100% scratch built. Duel Deploy with a perfectflite hi alt 45 doing the ejection charges!

The main chute was a borrowed KSR 8 PERFECT for the job. Guess I better get one of my own

It's first flight was a month ago in Las Vegas on a Cesaroni 6 grain 38mm J381 Skidmark. it flew to 3800 feet!

Oh did i mention the decals are by Stickershock23.com

Mark did you get any under chute pictures? If so I would really like one please...:D

Mark did you get any under chute pictures? If so I would really like one please...:D

That was the chute you donated to our club! I borrowed it from the winner! It is really nice. as soon as Christmas is over I need one of those and the one for my SST, I am waiting for a replacement Blue tube 2.0 for that one! (hurry up and wait)

here is the only shot I have under chute.. I didn't mention that I single deployed it on that flight. just because..

uner chute.jpg

OK, come on there has to be some more rockets to enter this month...

dig them out guys... of course a 50/50 chance to win the SWEET prize is noice too. i see an upscale build coming

Ok, I guess I will enter something....

This is a scratch built rocket that I made to look like a big ol' pencil. See the resemblance. I call it "Get the Lead Out". It is 3" dia. 29mm mount, and is about 5' tall. No decals, all hand painted. Do I get extra points for the cute girl (my daughter) modeling it for me in the picture???

...Fudd

Pencil3.JPG

My entry is my pride and joy, my Cosmodrome Nike Apache. 1:6 scale.

It's build mostly stock, but built for high power with epoxy clay fillets, a kevlar shock cord, and a kevlar heat shield in place of wadding.

Building was pretty standard; finishing took lots of work. I soaked the balsa transition and nose cone in wood glue for strength, Coated everything with 2 coats of primer, and masked off the white body, silver stripes, black stripe, and red fins. (The grey Apache section is actually primer.) Finally came the decals and a clearcoat for the shine.

The recommended motors are F and Gs, though it can fly on as small as an E15 with little wind. Being me, the first flight was on a H165R for my L1 cert attempt. The transition section was rather loose, and at burnout it prematurely separated and the original shock cord snapped. Amazingly the Nike section glided back down, and it took just a little epoxy to return the whole thing to flying shape. Second flight, also on an H165, was a perfect flight to 1800 feet for my cert.

My EMRR Review of the Nike-Apache

(sorry that the pictures are sideways, folks)

Nike-Apache.jpg

Apache.jpg

More pictures...

The first is it under chute on its first sucessful flight

The second is the Nike fin can.

Nike-Apache under Chute emsmallened.JPG

Nike Fin Can.jpg

Ok, I guess I will enter something....

This is a scratch built rocket that I made to look like a big ol' pencil. See the resemblance. I call it "Get the Lead Out". It is 3" dia. 29mm mount, and is about 5' tall. No decals, all hand painted. Do I get extra points for the cute girl (my daughter) modeling it for me in the picture???

...Fudd
So Fudd if you make a mistake while loading the rocket can you erase it? LOL

This will be my Level III attempt certification rocket next spring. I came up with the name to recognize my certification inspiration versus a destructive outcome.

It's a 6x upscale of a Pemberton Technologies Kraken, thanks Layne. Ten inches in diameter and 146 inches tall, the airframe and tube fins are made from U-Line mailing tubes covered with two layers of light weight Soller Composite fiberglass. Base coat paint on the entire rocket is charleston green with metallic gold on the nose cone to resemble gills, and obligatory google eyes. The awesome metallic gold vinyl decals on the airframe are from StickerShock23. My thanks to Mark for all he went thru to supply these decals.

It will fly with two altimeters, a Missile Works Mini and ARTS 2. My attempt flight will be on a AMW M3000ST. Peak altitude is estimated just over 3300' with an expected pad weight of 90lbs. I also have a mount inside one of the fin tubes for my Booster Vision video camera.

Finished (8).jpg

Finished (5).jpg

Finished (4).jpg

View attachment Rocksim Screen Shot.doc

View attachment Kraken-Up.rkt

<DING><DING><DING>

This is your 1 week remaining reminder!

Get your entries in and vie for the chance on winning a mid-power Interrogator! :hohoho:

:happydeer:

I'll give it a try with my new DarkStar.
Single or dual deploy.

54mm black glass tubing. Split fin.Flies on anything from a G to a J

Attachments

• 100_3479.jpg
    100_3479.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3481.jpg
    100_3481.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
Sport scale of the Mercury Little Joe 5B rocket. Was used by NASA to test the LES tower during the built up to the Manned Mercury program.

Used BT-70 tubing with some ST-20 tubing for the main body. Estes Mercury capsule was used for the top. I did built up fins with plastic to scale. Used a paper wrap embossed with the indentions to show joints. Also placed holes in adapter section to stimulate the bolt hole recesses. Model flys with B6-4 and C6-5 motors. Made my own United States decals. Had fun researching the paint scheme for this flight. The Fl. Orange does well over the silver. Model stands approximately 18 inches tall.

First flight shown below at a CMASS launch was on a B6-4 on a windy day. The model flew very straight insprite of the wind.

Little Joe5b.jpg

clupLJ.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

normal_LJ.jpg

Last edited:
This will be my Level III attempt certification rocket next spring. I came up with the name to recognize my certification inspiration versus a destructive outcome.

It's a 6x upscale of a Pemberton Technologies Kraken, thanks Layne. Ten inches in diameter and 146 inches tall, the airframe and tube fins are made from U-Line mailing tubes covered with two layers of light weight Soller Composite fiberglass. Base coat paint on the entire rocket is charleston green with metallic gold on the nose cone to resemble gills, and obligatory google eyes. The awesome metallic gold vinyl decals on the airframe are from StickerShock23. My thanks to Mark for all he went thru to supply these decals.

It will fly with two altimeters, a Missile Works Mini and ARTS 2. My attempt flight will be on a AMW M3000ST. Peak altitude is estimated just over 3300' with an expected pad weight of 90lbs. I also have a mount inside one of the fin tubes for my Booster Vision video camera.

Oh wow Marty,
You make us so proud....
*sniff*

You should be Layne. It's a great design, all I did was feed it so it would grow. I look forward to watching it fly.

Here is my entry... I submitted this one to the kitbash contest our club, NARHAMS, had this year and I got first place!!! :D The contest was to kitbash an Estes Renegade-D and create another rocket that was stable. An additional sheet of balsa was provided for the kitbash.

The SRFB-77A Saber Tooth was inspired on the fictional MiG-31 "Firefox". "SRFB" stands for Surveillance and Reconnaissance Fighter/Bomber. I modded the side pod BTs and NCs of the Renegade to create the jet engines. I also used the art cover cardstock to create the unique nose shape. Some decals from the original kit were used, the rest were custom designed by me and printed on a friend's ALPS printer. Upgraded the shock cord with a kevlar string attached to the MM. Painted it with Tamiya Metallic Black and Gun Metal colors and finished it with two coats of Future. A perfect flight on a C11-3... :D

SaberTooth001.jpg

SaberTooth002.jpg

SaberTooth003.jpg

Last day to post your entries! You have until midnight(or when I get home from work:rolleyes:) to submit your rocket! So far, with 8 entries there will be 2 polls which will lead to a run off between those 2 winners..

Again entry period ends at midnight or when I get home from work(whichever is later) and the polls to be posted shortly there after..

Note; all times are Eastern, unless otherwise noted. :)

Ok, the entry period for inclusion in the December Best Rocket Competition is officially closed...

Polls will be posted this AM..

Stay tuned. Polls will be populated by order of entry posting.

Back