Decals in Kit Not Same as Those Shown on Rocket Picture on Package

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Demand a refund.
Sadly, Evergreen Drug, in Evergreen, Colorado, has been out of business for many years. Like many drug stores of old, Evergreen Drug was more like a “5 and dime” store. They had everything. The had a huge selection of model cars, boats, and planes and a big model rocket selection.
When I was a kid, in the olden days, every drug store had an aisle dedicated to plastic models. They had models galore, Testors paints and glue, etc. Every kid built and painted models. We were all “makers” but didn’t know it.
Evergreen Drug was one of the last of those kind of stores.
Now “maker” culture is making a comeback. Yay!

Last edited:
When I was a kid, in the olden days, every drug store had an aisle dedicated to plastic models. They had models galore, Testors paints and glue, etc.
In my neighborhood, back in '1970 or so, that was Rexall Drug. It's where I got my first model rocket (Astron Starlight, photos seen elsethread), my yellow Estes launch pad (back when the legs didn't have the stupid zig-zags in them), and sometimes motors, wadding, and igniters (they were sold separately back then). A bit later on, my friends and I started to order kits directly from Estes, but still often bought motors from the drug store. Rexall also sold "fuse" for kids who didn't have fancy electrical launch controllers. IIRC, you had to have a parent with you to buy motors or fuse. By "fuse" I mean the string like stuff fireworks guys call "slow match" or "match cord". Though, IIRC, the stuff sold at Rexall wasn't the cotton string impregnated with a black powder slurry, it was thinner, black in color, felt more like wire, and burned more slowly than the cotton string stuff (which I remember as usually being white and red in color).

In my neighborhood, back in '1970 or so, that was Rexall Drug. It's where I got my first model rocket (Astron Starlight, photos seen elsethread), my yellow Estes launch pad (back when the legs didn't have the stupid zig-zags in them), and sometimes motors, wadding, and igniters (they were sold separately back then)
Rockets! Yay!
(That should be on a refrigerator magnet.)

In my neighborhood, back in '1970 or so, that was Rexall Drug. It's where I got my first model rocket (Astron Starlight, photos seen elsethread), my yellow Estes launch pad (back when the legs didn't have the stupid zig-zags in them), and sometimes motors, wadding, and igniters (they were sold separately back then). A bit later on, my friends and I started to order kits directly from Estes, but still often bought motors from the drug store. Rexall also sold "fuse" for kids who didn't have fancy electrical launch controllers. IIRC, you had to have a parent with you to buy motors or fuse. By "fuse" I mean the string like stuff fireworks guys call "slow match" or "match cord". Though, IIRC, the stuff sold at Rexall wasn't the cotton string impregnated with a black powder slurry, it was thinner, black in color, felt more like wire, and burned more slowly than the cotton string stuff (which I remember as usually being white and red in color).
Have you seen this?

The packaging people at Estes in the late 90’s put a picture of a very colorfully decorated Maniac rocket on the package insert card. Unfortunately, the decals included in the psckage are not capable of recreating the decal scheme in the picture!
I don't think that's unusual. The Estes Generic E2X kits I bought last month for a group build came with stickers that were different than shown on the instructions, box, and web page. [I don't think any of the kids noticed — most of them didn't use the Estes stickers anyway.]

And, nowadays, Rexall is a house brand in Dollar General. Won't find any rockets in a DG. I should know, I've inventoried a ton of them in the last five and a half years.

Back