Decals for Inkjet Printers!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
I know we have touched on this subject a number of times but I think this info warrants one more visit!

I have been using Bel-decal paper for most of my decals and have had mixed emotions about them. I think I have had some bad luck what with over-size and under size sheets. Or having been shipped in a flat rate envelope then shoved in the mail box. Sometimes the paper itself is not consistent.

However, I have found a new paper that I think is better and the company is great to work with. The reason I am not putting this in the Vendor section is because the company, Papilio, sells a great intro pack that's affordable and pretty neat.
Introduction pack

3 sheets IAS Clear Inkjet Decal Paper
3 sheets Inkjet Clear Inkjet Vinyl (IVF)
3 sheets Inkjet White Waterproof Inkjet Vinyl (WVF)
2 fl. oz. clear fixative 6 foam applicators.
$11.25

If you are looking for a cheap way to experiment with decals, this might be a great place to start.

https://www.papilio.com/

Thanks for the link. 8)

I was just at the Hobby store and they have a package of decal sheets for $ 2.50 for my Deskjet. Sadly my color cartridge is dead, so I'd have to spend 30 bucks for a new one. lol

I'm actually glad you brought this subject up, because I asked my Hobby Store if she would be interested in a rocket built with her logo on it for display purposes. The answer was a quick and positive yes !.

So, it sounds as if this product for a deskjet/laserjet printer is a mixed bag of good and bad.

I know many of you have an Alps printer, but is there really that much difference between a deskjet and an Alps for decal printing ?

Graphically I can do most anything with PSP 7, and 5 or 6 other programs I have, but my main concern is trying to create a graphic decal using her logo. I could have a company do it locally, but I can't see 50 bucks for the upfront setup fee for such a project - considering its going to be 2 small decals at most.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with doing your own decals. 8)

Cheers,

Here is a copy of the current logo:

greattime2.gif

The primary features of the ALPS that you can't get from your ink jet are (and correct me if i'm wrong folks):

1) Your ALPS ink is opaque and not translucent (can't see through it as easily)

2) When you need it REALLY opaque, you can overprint in one pass

3) You can print WHITE. On an ink jet white is made by printing *nothing*. For example, take that Great Time Hobbies logo. Print it on an injet then put it on a yellow rocket and the banner would be yellow. Print it properly on an ALPS and the banner will be white on the yellow rocket.

4) although not directly related, you can also print metalics if you have the cartridges.

I wish they were still making them!

jim

Thanks for the info Jim. 8)

I did some searching and see that Ebay has a ton of different models - so after reviewing this link on a side by side comparison:

https://www.epinions.com/compare.ht..._page=/cmhd-Printers-All-Alps&Compare=Compare

I'm wondering what the best low budget Alps printer is ?

Not that I'm going to rush out and plunk down 300 bucks at Ebay for one, but I am curious what the minimum printer would be to do basic decals.

Thanks,

Actually Jim:
Alps this a dry transfer ribbon pigment not an ink at all.
they are very transparent, that's how you get the other colors, by overlaying Cyan(blue) Yellow, and Magenta(red) that's also why we can't get a good Orange:( even the black is semi transparent.
Yes we can double print to get the colors to be deeper but they are all translucent except the metallics.
Yes we can print White as a spot color, that is the largest difference between dry transfer and inkjet printers! with inkjets there is no way to get white.

As far as the purchase of an Alps Printer.. well unless you buy a used one on e-bay or somewhere you will not get one. Alps has stopped selling them in this country. they are still available overseas but not here, Alps has a support agreement to provide tape media cartridges throught 2007 or 2008 but that's it. At one time I heard Okiedata (sp) was looking into offereing a similar dry transfer media printer based on the Alps pattent but I haven't heard anything further on it.
Inkjet and laser jet printer decal papers have improved over the last year but we still have the same problem areas... no White, Color matches are way off. and all inkjets must be completely sealed before they can be dipped in water.

One of the guys on the OldRockets Yahoo forum has tried the Epson Durabrites.

He said that the ink orange peels, so evidently it won't soak into the decal material enough to be stable.

Thanks for the information. 8)

I guess what I'm asking is, of the various models available on Ebay, and I see a whole range of them from old to newer ones, which model would be the best that wouldn't break my bank ?

I've seen older models go for 45 bucks, and new models in the box for 300- 400. Here are few different models:

ALPS Dot Matrix Printer P2000G
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3453523210&category=3748

Alps MD1000 Micro Dry Printer
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3454482971&category=178

Alps ALW324GX 24 pin Dot Matrix printer
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3455262071&category=3748

MD 1300 ALPS Printer
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3455328782&category=178

So, of these, which one does the best job based on price and the like ?

Thanks,

Silver:
I have a MD1000 and have used the MD5000 the only real difference is the 5000 will hold 8 tape cartridges at one time, the 1000 holds the 4 basic CYMK cartrideges. when using a spot color or a metallic you usually remove the (K) black cartridge.
Other then that the operation is the same. I have no experence with the 1300, but the dot matirx is NOT what you want.
Hope this helps a little.

Exactly what I was hoping for Micro, many thanks for your reply. 8)

I have a friend who has a MD 1000 and its been used just a few times, he told me I could have it if I could use it, since he's got a few printers. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for the info - really clears things up. 8)

Latest posts

Back