Decal Tips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunkie

Reaction score
I recently purchased some decal stock (item # 82272) from https://www.micromark.com for use on an HP OfficeJet printer (InkJet). Anyway, I have some tips for those planning on making their own decals with this material:

1. It prints great, but make sure you don't include too many effects (drop shadows, highlighting, etc.). I found that the effects make the rocket look 'dirty' and not professional. Use solid colors, or even a clean fade on your deacls and you'll be very happy.

2. It is reccommended that you spray a light coating of Krylon Clear Acrilic on the decal surface to keep the ink from running/smudging when you wet the decal for transfer. USE A HEAVY COAT OF ACRILIC TO SEAL THE DECALS. Maybe not too heavy, but you'll see what I mean.

3. The decal sheets are standard letter size (8.5" x 11"). Plan on putting as many decals on the sheet as possible to avoid waste. Think ahead.

I think that's it. I hope it helps someone from wasting a sheet or two of decal material.

How do you print white gold and silver colors on an HP OfficeJet? If I just knew how to do this I could make my own decals!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

White is easy, use Micro-Mark part # 82277, white decal material. You are correct about gold & silver. No feasible way to do that, as far as I can tell.

Did you try any of the lighter colors, like bright yellow? I'd like to do something that isn't going to show through, but I'd also like to do it on clear is possible...

WW

No way to do gold or silver on an inkjet. The only printer I know of that can do that is an Alps printer, which uses a tape-style cartridge, like a typewriter ribbon. Sadly, these printers are no longer in production (last I heard), and I would imagine that the "ink cartridges" are getting fairly rare.

I think Tango Papa uses Alps printers for their decals.

You might be able to find an Alps on Ebay, but I wouldn't bet on the condition it would be in.

Back