Decal solutions questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

Reaction score
I was wondering what some of these decal solutions are used for.
Decal set
Micro-sol
microscale decal film
Testors decal bond

I have used decal set, but how is it different from micro-sol?
Is the microscale decal film the same as the Testors decal bond? The decal bond is in a spray can and the other must be in a bottle.
Unfortunatly I don't have a hobby shop close especially one that would carry the decal film or the micro-sol. Thanks for any help.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Micro Sol softens the decal, and makes it 'suck down' to the surface to which it is applied.

Microscale Liquid Decal Film is an overcoat that is used on top of a fresh ALPS decal brfore it is cut from the sheet in order to protect the decal a bit, and toughen it. ALPS decals are very thin.

I have not used the Testor's decal products. Maybe someone else here can advise how they work..

Phred

Here is a webpage with some good descriptions of the MicroScale products.

https://www.bare-metal.com/microscale.htm

The ones I use are the Liquid Decal Film and Micro Set.

I HIGHLY recommend the Liquid Decal Film. It's easy to use. You put a coat on before you even cut the decals out...it makes them MUCH easier to apply. Works great with decals from Excelsior or Tango Papa.

The Micro Set you apply before you put the decal down. It wets down the surface and prepares it for the decal. Once the decal is down it softens it a bit so it will blend in. It doesn't soften the decal as much as the Micro Sol....you have to be a bit careful with Micro Sol. If you touch the decal before it dries you'll damage it....but the results are fabulous if you need the decal to lay down into a panel line or over some surface details.

I can't comment on the Testors products. Never used them.

I've been ordering this stuff through Squadron for years.
https://www.squadron.com/

Hope that helps,
John

Thanks guys, It sounds like decal set and Micro set do about the same thing. Micro sol must soften the decal even more. I'll probably go ahead and get some of the liquid film and Micro sol.
Wish I had some of this earlier. We put some decals on my sons rocket a while back that must have been old. They were brittle so it didn't work well at all, with the liquid film I could have made them like new according to what it says.
Thanks again Phred, and John.

Phred, I like the looks of your decals, my Starship Vega refurbish is about to the point of adding decals:)

Larry

Hi Larry,

Yes, the Microscale Liquid Decal film can be used to 'save' old decals. I put a coat into any decals over 5 years old.

I learned this the hard way as I ruined an original set of Red Max decals when I first became a BAR. :eek: The decals just fell apart once they were immersed in the soapy water.

I have since coated any older decals I use, and they come out just fine.

Thanks for your kind words about my website and decals.

Phred

I've been a proponent of the Microscale decaling system for years. My initial useage of it was back when I was involved in a Modelling business that built dioramas for both military and companies that needed specific items.

I've always used Micro-Set first, to prepare the area to recieve the decal, brushing on a thin layer, and then applying the decal over it.

Then dip the decal in a warm - 65 -70 degree water with a few drops of dishwashing soap (the soap helps the decal slide better when placing).

Then once the decal was in place, I apply a thin layer of Micro-Sol to aid the decal in conforming to the surrounding area.

The Sol will quickly grab the decal and start the chemical process of "wrinkling". its during this process that you MUST not touch the decal, because it is starting to settle and will be brittle.

The typical responses to a Sol/Set combination are " wow, that decal looks like it was painted on".

I would also recommend any set of decals you purchase/get with a kit to be covered with the Miscroscale Liquid Decal film. It truly keps them from tearing as easily, and the Decal film is a perfect companion to the Set/Sol combination.

Cheers,

Back