Death Star Destroys Enterprise

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Says it's a year old so I don't know if it's been posted here before. Pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/v69RuwsGv_I

Very nice effects. However, I think the scale is just a bit off.

For instance, the Enterprise is designed for interplanetary travel...not atmosphere penetration, as has been show many times. That's what the shuttle is for.

And the Death Star wouldn't be coming down so low either.

I always thought the X-cruiser was larger, not just a one man craft.

That was really cool.
It would be cool if People still made giant Dirigibles, but shaped them like Spacecraft just because it would be cool.

For instance, the Enterprise is designed for interplanetary travel...not atmosphere penetration, as has been show many times. That's what the shuttle is for.

Well, in TOS, the Enterprise did fly thru the Earth's atmosphere. It was after an accident that threw the ship back in time, to around 1967. It was intercepted by an F-104, and when they put a tractor beam on it, the F-104 started to break up. They beamed the pilot onboard, and complications ensued….

image from TOS:

Tomorrow_is_Yesterday_043.JPG

and from the remastered version:
tiycloud.jpg

Also of course in the 2nd JJ Abrams bastardized Trek, the Enterprise not only flies thru the atmosphere but also doubles as a SUBMARINE. But since the new Trek movies "whizz" all over past Trek history and canon (destroying the planet Vulcan), I don't take any of them as "canon".

Now, in Star Trek Voyager, the ship landed several times. But that class of ship was built with landing legs, and the ability to land

voyager_warp_coils.jpg

In the beginning of the 2-part voyager series finale, it begins with a "historic old clip" of Voyager doing a flyby of the Golden Gate bridge when it returned, the clip rerun was from a news story celebrating the anniversary (10th?) of Voyager's eventual return after 20-ish years. But Captain Janeway felt it took too long and too high a price was paid, so "old" Janeway sets about going back in time to change that history, to get Voyager back many years (and lives) sooner.

upeym5p0wd4047jzk4opocz8u7653ijmvob6hox3rrukp5bxznben0e7y82sfc40o3vugkoUSS_Voyager_over_Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg

IIRC Voyager also did a low altitude Earth flight in another episode, they were back in time around Los Angeles in the mid-late 1990's.

And in the series "Enterprise", it flew over New York, during World War-II when the timeline had been drastically changed (See Enterprise being attacked by a phaser-equipped Stuka, or something like that)

star-trek-enterprise-the-complete-fourth-season-20051102020038203-000.jpg

Back to this video, the thing is the Enterprise just hangs around there like a big juicy target, after having beamed up more whales. Captain Kirk and Scotty would never be as incompetent as to let that happen.

Yeah, I know, a few other things wrong. But I'm looking at the Trek side of why that would not happen. Also very unlikey that the best spot to find whales to beam aboard would be in S.F. Bay rather than out to sea. But of course, then no video showing current-day S.F. scenes and people reacting.

Now if only someone could explain "WFT" the deal was with Star Trek-IV and that alien ship (big black cylinder) that was destroying Earth because it hadn't heard from the whales. So, "WFT" was that thing, who operated it, and why was it so fixated on the whales that it would destroy anyplace that didn't have any to respond? In the movie it was deliver the whales, they start singing, attack stops, and alien ship flies off, for all we know continuing to attack other whale-less planets it wanders towards.

Almost like a wandering "Doomsday Machine" with one code to get it to stop attacking.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
"Now if only someone could explain "WFT" the deal was with Star Trek-IV and that alien ship (big black cylinder) that was destroying Earth because it didn't heard from the whales. So, "WFT" was that thing, who operated it, and why was it so fixated on the whales that it would destroy anyplace that didn't have any to respond? In the move it was deliver the whale,s they strt singing, attack stops, and alien ship flies off, for all we know continuing to attack other whale-less planets it wanders towards."

Good Point!!!!:)

I always assumed that the big black ship had whales or some distant relatives / friends / stakeholders in whales onboard. When it hadn't heard from its relatives/friends/whatever, it got all rowdy. Just my theory...

Marc

Back