Deadbeat Tennants Kill NSL Aspirations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

I'm praying for you, friend. I can't believe they laid traps for you.

Absolutely incredible how people are 'devolving' into inconsiderate degenerates.

I remember working very hard to re-set an apartment in my college years after I had done some awful paintwork (i thought it was cool at the time, but in retrospect it was poorly done). I also remember bringing in friends to help clean after getting ready to move out. We all helped each other with that, when the time came.

I always took steps to make the place better, or at least on par with what i started with...I would have never thought to DESTROY it. Sad.

True, but it sometimes inspires those odd situations where you wish the boss was LESS confident!

I am so sorry to hear this story but I have to say that this comment made me laugh right out loud. I will have to share it.

Prayers for you.

I've been renting all of my life. I've had some really bad landlords. Hell, I even had one who, just to get us out, had our apartment broken into a number of times. Then he would call the cops on us for a loud party. Usually about 15 minutes after I got home from work.

I consider myself fortunate to have the landlord I have now. We have a basement apartment. My landlord lives above us. She's a neurology nurse. And I love her Jamaican accent. Her attitude towards the rent is "as long as I get it this month". Of course, we've never been late. And our rent, which includes utilities, is extremely low.

January of 2009, I came down with the flu. I was sick as a dog. Sick as in the "Please, just let me die already" sick. My wife was talking to my landlord one morning. You know, the hen party. And my wife mentioned it to her. That afternoon, she was knocking on our door which a whole crock-pot full of homemade chicken soup.

I never want to move. I know I will, someday. But right now, this is the best place for us.

While I agree with everybody here who states that a suit will end up fruitless for you I would recommend suing the tenants anyway. After getting a judgment you report that judgment to all of the consumer credit reporting bureaus.

Just for the future, never rent to anybody who does not have good credit! Around here it takes at least nine months to evict a deadbeat tenant. Thats when all goes well and they don't put up much of a fight. A neighbor of mine once rented to a family who made a very nice appearance in the neighborhood. They drove a nice car (First warning sign; prospective tenant has a nice car but does not own a house), wore nice clothes and were very nice people. After they paid their security deposit and took possession of the property the landlord never saw a penny out of them again. It took two years to evict this family. It always amazes me how people who don't have their act together enough to pay a mortgage or at least pay rent still know how to play the courts like a concert pianist plays the piano.

I have seen and heard the horror stories of residential landlordship, yours ranks as among the worst. I have never before heard of somebody booby trapping the home. I would seriously look into the funny smell that soap and water won't wash off, This is characteristic of a meth lab, as are a few other observations you posted, which could mean your house is now just a superfund site.

This is why I stick with commercial real estate; the moment the rent check is late you can just padlock the doors.

While I agree with everybody here who states that a suit will end up fruitless for you I would recommend suing the tenants anyway. After getting a judgment you report that judgment to all of the consumer credit reporting bureaus.

Just for the future, never rent to anybody who does not have good credit! Around here it takes at least nine months to evict a deadbeat tenant.

Amen.

The woman who owns the building just to the north of me has made a habit of renting to people who sell drugs. They haven't had jobs, and you can be sure they didn't have good credit. If she does it again and causes problems for me like she did two years ago, I will make her life hell, and do my best to have her property taken from her. As she now has a history with the police and Asst. DAs, it won't take much.

As a landlord, you owe it to the people who live next to your properties as well to make sure that you rent to decent people. You might want to find out who the decent people in the area are, and talk with them. I'll bet they'd be happy to report to you about any evil goings-on.

Hey I feel yer pain John.... My grandmother kept virtually every house they ever lived in for most of the time I was growing up. She had SEVEN rental properties at one time, and after I moved in to help her when I was 13 after my Granddad died, man did I get an education early. She sold a few off at a time-- one when I was a kid, and I finally talked her into DISPOSING of most of the other ones when I was in my late teens/early 20's. I think I'd throw a match on any of them before I'd rent them out again...

My "job" was running the farms, but I had to help her with the rental stuff, which I dearly HATED. I'd basically help her get them rented. The main ones I had to be concerned with was the "tourist courts" my Great-granddad had on 90A just east of Richmond, and the farmhouse on our other farm at Shiner. (the "tourist courts" were an ancient 'motor hotel' from the 30's that my grandparents ran for my great-granddad after WWII). The "courts" were rented out as little apartments back when I was a kid, and they got rather run-down and finally were sold and torn down. The 7 acre tract next door was rented to a pretty decent Mexican fellow who moved his trailer house onto the property by the water well. Later he asked if he could move in three more, and paid rent on them. Now, my Grandmother was from the "Depression mindset" and only charged like $125 a month for each trailer parked on the land. Felix paid it on time, and was no trouble, so that was cool... until after a few years and some cousins sold their part of the tract for a 'self storage' development. The new neighbors called griping about smells and stuff, raising sand. The cousins on the other side had rented their parcel to a stone/gravel/landscaping supply that had HUGE piles of wood chips, bark, and RICE HULLS on the back of the property, and knowing how sickeningly stinky rotting grain can be, I figured THAT was the source of the stink. The neighbors called the sewage inspector, but Felix ran him off and wouldn't let him on the property. Bad was going to worse so I went over and "investigated" myself. All we "provided" on the property was a water well... the tenants were responsible for their own electricity, gas, and sewer hookups, and supposedly had them. Turns out that when I squeezed between the trailers (arranged close together into a square) I found that they each had a 4 inch PVC pipe going to a center open "lagoon" sewer pit-- that was the source of the stench. I reported back to Grandma and told her that was the last straw and she better just sell that darn land before the gov't got involved and made her pay for a big cleanup, since obviously Felix wouldn't. The taxes had gone from a few hundred dollars a year to over FIVE THOUSAND due to development in the general area, and so basically she was PAYING THEM to live there, since the rent didn't even cover the taxes! She FINALLY saw it my way after I'd been trying to convince her of that for YEARS and she put it up for sale, and told Felix and his crew they'd have to move when it sold. Turns out Felix was collecting like $250 a month from his "subrenters" and paying Grandma $125. Go figure...

Back in the early 80's, folks were halfway decent. We had some good renters at Shiner... some stayed for YEARS. The farmhouse was a BIG old two bedroom, living, dining, big kitchen, laundry room, and one bath house, but it was built in the late 40's kinda 'on the cheap' to replace the old farmhouse that burned, back before my granddad bought the farm. We had a family there for YEARS that were GOOD renters, except for the junk pile of old beer bottles they started in a low spot on the front hill... but they paid regular and were basically good folks. Then they moved out, and a pair of brothers and a couple of their batchelor buddies moved in, which wasn't bad, for about five-ten years. They paid and were pretty decent, until they let a 'new buddy' move in to share the rent (all $150 a month!) who was a roughneck and travelled around a lot to oilfields, and turns out he was running dope up from the border at the same time... and got caught. They raided the farm and the boys got in trouble with him. Grandma came running into my room one Saturday morning waving the newspaper like a crazy woman sobbing and crying for me to read the story in the Shiner Gazette... the story said, "they arrested the landowner" and she was in a panic that the SWAT team was going to kick the door off the hinges at any moment. I told her it was probably just the stupid paper staff getting the story wrong, but she still wanted me to call Sheriff Wurm up in Hallettsville and make sure they weren't "coming to get her". The boys ended up moving out. We had a few short-term 'deadbeats' move through, usually leaving as much cost in repairs needed to the house before you could re-rent it as they'd paid in rent while they were there. Grandma was a 'softie' from going through the Depression and would let people get several months behind in the rent before she'd get after them about paying it, and so usually they just hung around free as long as they figured they could and then moved out right before you started the eviction paperwork. I refused to do renthouse repairs-- I'm a farmer not a slumlord I'd tell her, so she'd hire a young up-n-coming fix-it guy to go in and make repairs, then I'd help her re-rent it. When the boys moved out, though I DID haul off the pile of empty beer bottles they piled up behind the house-- AN ENTIRE LONG BED PICKUP LOAD OF THEM, piled up so high I couldn't have thrown another bottle on there without it rolling off the pile and dropping off the side of the truck! Loaded them with a corn scoop and gingerly drove to the county dump with them.

We had ONE decent renter-- a guy just graduated veterinary school and stayed in the house about a year, while working with the vet in town doing his internship or whatever. When he finished he was gone-- back to deadbeats... One guy moved in, and within a week proceeded to turn off the water trough to the cows... I turned it back on when I was up checking cows. Next week, off again, I turned it on again-- maybe whoever's screwing with it will take a hint... NAH! Next week, tanks empty again, so I go to the house and tell the guy IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that the water WILL remain on in the cow troughs-- we didn't spend $5000 bucks drilling the well and another $900 when it needed repairs for him to turn the water off to the cows in a drought when the ponds were going dry. He griped about his light bill, I called BS on that one-- the fix it guy stayed in the house a week running power saws, spray paint equipment, lights, and water, and the bill never exceeded the minimum. Besides, he's getting the house rent for $150-200 a month-- if you have to pay an extra 8 bucks on your light bill, SO WHAT! If the well goes out WE will have to pay to fix it, so tough luck buddy! Of course he didn't like it... but then his girlfriend from town would come out and wash laundry all weekend for her and her five kids, him, and his buddy that lived with him and split the rent, but NO THAT COULDN'T BE THE CAUSE OF THE HIGH LIGHT BILLS... jerk finally moved after several months...
Another guy was ok awhile and then gave sob stories about how his child support was too high and he couldn't pay the rent (like he shouldn't have to pay the rent) I was like "tough cookies-- if your child support is too high now since you changed jobs, you better talk to the judge and get it reduced-- because you'll have a harder time paying it living under a bridge-- we're not providing government housing here... the rent's cheap enough- pay it or move." After getting about six months behind he finally moved.

TO BE CONT'D...

CONT'D FROM LAST POST...

Then my Dad got the bright idea to let the daughter of his old high school football buddy move in... DEADBEAT from day one! Most renters just deposited the rent in Grandma's account at the bank in town-- she'd get the deposit slip in the mail and send them a receipt if they wanted it (hardly any ever did). Not this deadbeat... I had to go to Shiner and go to her job (minimart cashier) to get the money. Then she'd skip work that day, and I'd have to do a minor manhunt to collect the money (after driving 100 miles up there, and not wanting to go home empty handed for my trouble). Finally after playing that game awhile, I told her flat out, "put it in the bank, or get out-- no more minor manhunts trying to find you and make you pay your rent." AFter getting a few months behind, they finally left. The fix-it guy went in, and the house was a DISASTER... he hauled TWENTY-SIX DUMP TRUCK LOADS (YES a REAL dump truck!) of GARBAGE out of the house! By the time he got through fixing stuff, the bill was $2600, and a bargain at that! After that Grandma took my advice and raised the rent and got more picky. I met some prospective renters and got references, and checked up on them. We met one "family" one day, and alarm bells went off for me at once. The "old man" was dirty and haggard, the "old lady" was razor thin and a bit unkempt, the son was like 22 and had an infant baby with him; the baby's mother had 'run off'. When they drove up, they couldn't turn the car off until they raised the hood and disconnected the battery with a pair of vice grips... they appeared rather desperate to find a place, and ANY place would do (that was the vibe I got anyway). Grandma and 'the old lady' were laughing and visiting and trading recipes and crap like that, and having a grand old time, while I was "observing". Grandma got mad at ME because I didn't like them, and I tried to explain why, and she told me how wrong I was and I was being judgemental and all this baloney... I went to town, we had lunch, and I got on a pay phone (dates the story a bit don't it!) and started calling their references... turns out, one reference was the 'old mans' mother. Yeah, I'm gonna get the truth there... another was a drinking buddy (again what's the use). Finally I got ahold of their existing landlady... and she told me the story... She'd had a nervous breakdown because they got in and within a couple months quit paying the rent. They'd TOTALLED the renthouse and threatened her when she tried to collect the rent, or damages, and had done stuff like stalk her, threaten her, steal from her, and vandalized her home and property on several occassions. She'd been trying to evict them for over a year, but they knew EVERY TRICK to prevent eviction and used them to the hilt. FINALLY in desperation she told them she sold the house and they had to move to get them out. She wanted them gone, but she said she wouldn't wish them on her worst enemy because they were such scumbags... I went back to the truck and reported what I'd learned to Grandma, who went into hysterics... she was SO worried, even though she hadn't said they could move in, she had me change the locks on the house, and we went by and requested a 'frequent patrol' from the Sheriff's office... After that Grandma never questioned my judgement again when it came to people... (I was in the police academy at the time and had learned a lot about 'observation' and "people watching" IE how to spot a scumbag).

After another deadbeat or two, and another few thousand in repairs, Grandma FINALLY took my advice and just quit renting the house-- it was too old to rent to "decent folks" by pricing the rent too high for the "wandering scumbags" who seemed to move from house to house after they got evicted for being several months behind in the rent, and I showed her using some back of the envelope figuring that she was actually PAYING THESE SCUMBAGS TO LIVE THERE, because the repairs were costing more than she was getting in rent for the time they were in there... She FINALLY saw the light and just left the house vacant. AFter a clean up we now use it as a 'weekend house' when my brother and I are up there working on the farm...

I think I'd rather throw a match on it than ever rent it again, if it came to that! People just aren't as decent as they used to be...

You can do what you want, but if it were me, I'd clean up the mess and fix things up as fast and cheap as I could (and still do a decent job) and put that sucker up for sale so fast it'd make yer head spin!!! Dealing with renters/renthouses just isn't worth it IMHO... Shoot, if it were me, I might just cut my losses and call those 'we buy ugly houses' people and unload it as fast as I could...

Course that's just me... :) YMMV... :)

Hope things go better for you John... :) OL JR :)

Would it do any good to hire a private detective to locate them?
(They're probably not far away)

Then you could hire a lawyer to sue them, file a lein, or give the local police their location so they could be arrested. If the private detective could find out who their new landlord is, you could provide some warning information to them.

Sorry that this happened. I hated having a rental house, and I had fairly good tennants (most of the time).

Throwing good money after bad IMHO... by the time you spend the money on a PI and lawyer and paperwork filing costs, let alone your time, fuel, etc. you can just cut your losses and move on.

Trash like that usually don't have a boot to pee in or a window to pour it out of, and even if you get a judgement against them, collecting is a whole other issue.

There's an old saying that comes to mind... you can't draw blood out of a turnip...

Sorry man... OL JR :)

I have always been a good tenent. I guess I understand landlords now.

I've had to go in a few of those houses because of my job. It is astounding what smells people are willing to put up with.

My Grandmother had a friend that lived in my Great-grandmother's house in town. The lady was quite elderly and rather poor, but always had money to smoke herself to death. I drove Grandma up there to visit her ONE TIME, since I played in that house as a pre-school age kid when my grandmother babysat me while taking care of my great grandmother who was in her 90's at the time. I never returned because the stench would literally gag a maggot...

Grandma's friend had several old dogs in the house. One old dog was SO old and SO crippled, and didn't have a hair left on his body-- completely eaten away with mange, covered with oozing sores, and stunk to high heaven... the dog was LITERALLY rotting while still alive. It should have been euthanized. I've been around stinks all my life, as a livestock farmer, but STILL, this was a whole other level!

I was around stuff like that a lot when I was in the police academy and afterward. Thing is, when people live with such a stink 24/7, they get desensitized to it and don't even realize that the stench is there... while you or I being exposed to it start retching or getting the dry heaves... or worse.

Sorta like my BIL coming in stinking of cigarette smoke while telling everyone in the family he no longer smokes... He can't smell it so he thinks nobody else can either...

Later! OL JR :)

The important thing is to find the right tenants to begin with. That includes verifying their assets and closest living relatives, prior landlord(s), etc. That way you know you aren't dealing with a turnip that you can't get blood out of. From the credit report you can amortize any car loans to find out if they have any equity in their vehicles.

I charge an application fee to cover these costs and that fee gets rid of a bunch of bad tenants right from the start because they know that their financial information will be verified. Even if people move, they might still have the same employer. If they value their employment then they better not stiff me.

I always check with the landlord that was prior to their present one on the application. Their present landlord will lie in order to get them out of the place while the one prior to that has no reason to not be honest.

Good tenants are like gold... If you find one they're valuable and you're very VERY lucky, because most are rocks (or cowchips!)

Later! OL JR :)

I am like uranium ore. When I move out, men in plastic full body suits and geiger counters show up...

The important thing is to find the right tenants to begin with. That includes verifying their assets and closest living relatives, prior landlord(s), etc. That way you know you aren't dealing with a turnip that you can't get blood out of. From the credit report you can amortize any car loans to find out if they have any equity in their vehicles.

I charge an application fee to cover these costs and that fee gets rid of a bunch of bad tenants right from the start because they know that their financial information will be verified. Even if people move, they might still have the same employer. If they value their employment then they better not stiff me.

I always check with the landlord that was prior to their present one on the application. Their present landlord will lie in order to get them out of the place while the one prior to that has no reason to not be honest.

Yeah.. but there's only SO MUCH you can do as an individual... and especially when you're dealing with OLD houses and property as a sideline. I HATED dealing with that crap, that's why I did as little as I could.

I tried the "security deposit", "references", and all that jazz... you can't afford to get credit reports and stuff like that on a renthouse that, the most we EVER got, was $300 a month... Heck you can't hardly rent a self-storage unit nowdays for $300 a month! When you consider that it's on a farm 5 miles outside a town of 2200 people, where what little industry there is has been slowly dying out, and most of the renters are "white trash" there's not a whole lot you can do. That's why we just flat quit renting it-- when I was in my mid-20's I washed my hands of it and told my Grandmother that if she wanted to keep messing with it, she could do it herself or hire somebody to deal with it...

"I'm a farmer, not a slumlord"...

I understand situations like Bravo52's, the young vet, and decent folks like that who rent. BUT with the age of cheap, easy credit we've gone through (and for "certain ones" are STILL in) anybody "worth a darn" bought a house or mobile home, unless they are just SUCH scumbags that they have ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIT whatsoever and so trashy they'd just demolish a place and move on, so why buy one?? Personally I hope trash like that ends up sleeping under bridges... they DON'T DESERVE anything better! Maybe I'm jaded, but that's been my experience...

I would never, never, never in a million years, rent any property that I owned... If I didn't need it or couldn't use it myself, I'd just SELL IT and be done with it... It's just NOT worth the hassle anymore. (not to me).

Now if you're making a LIVING at it... that's another story. Certainly not a job I would ever want to do! OL JR :)

Man John that is just terrible. The part that astounds me is the nail traps. Im surprised they cant be charged for that somehow. I guess the main thing is thank goodness you you never got hurt there. You are one hard working individual and for folks to do this is evil. I hope you get to those rocketry meetings someday soon.
Cheers
fred

Back