Day after Thanksgiving Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRadiator

Reaction score
It was a beautiful day to launch in North Carolina today. About 50-55 degrees or so and a little wind, but not much! I've taken several photos I wanted to share, and I also took a low-quality video from my digital camera of my Spin Fin, but unfortunately I'm having trouble linking it into my website. Back to launching, I flew an Estes Ionizer, Astro Sat LSX, Hi-Flier, Firebird and Max Trax. From Quest I flew the Evader Cruise Missile and the aforementioned Spin Fin. I also flew a scratch built Arrow-C from old MRN Estes plans. This is a semi-crummy picture of my Ionizer on the pad with just a tuft of smoke. Don't worry, my lift-off pictures are better after this one!

And here it is under the chute. Kept this one full-res so one can actually see the shroud lines. I took this one while it was a little too high.

Next up was the Hi-Flier. I just did miss the NC in the photo, as this one gets great speed on an A8-3. One thing to note, this one twisted the shock cord something fierce on the way down. And that was just with the itty bitty 8-inch long orange tape that comes with the kit. I was thinking the twisting motion was due to the large fin area, anyone think a larger streamer will stall the twist in recovery?

Also launched my Max Trax, but once again the "altimeter" failed to read altitude. :rolleyes: It's a toy anyways. It flew great and the body landed a about fifteen feet from the pad.

My Evader Cruise Missile went on it's first flight. I used an A6-4, and it flew a lot higher than I thought it would because of all the fin area on this thing. I swapped out the "plastic grocery bag" parachute that came with the kit with one of Semroc's chutes.

The third flight for my Estes Astro Sat LSX. It's an E2X that ejects two "satellites" on streamers. Unfortunatley, I used my tissue wadding in order to use it up. (I'm using dog barf wadding now) The tissue jammed up the satellites and one of them got a little burnt. The parachute sort of deployed. I used the Quest grocery bag chute which led to the decision to use a Semroc chute on the Evader. Tissue wadding? Never again!!!! :cool:

Also took an Estes Firebird out for its first spin around the block. Another good flight, but I launched it on an 'A' to see how she behaved in the air. Needless to say it was a slow, low and smoky flight!

The scratch build Arrow-C was the last one for the day. I left my 3/16" launch rod at home, so my V-2 was grounded. Anyways, I'm guessing the Arrow-C took about 600 feet on a B6-4. The build is not 100% correct to the plans, as I used a spare Quest plastic NC instead of getting the BNC-20Y. Rather than spend money on one, I might as well use what I have, and the match is fairly close anyways. Party streamer works great for sport streamer.

Nice launch pics. I hoping the wind dies down here in NJ so I can go out tomorrow. I'm jonesing bad

Looks like you had a great day for a launch.

Temps here were in the 30's so no launch for me.

Originally posted by BobH48
Looks like you had a great day for a launch.

Temps here were in the 30's so no launch for me.

Not to rub it in, but that's the beauty of living down here! :D

J/K it all evens out in the end. In June, July & August, it's too stinkin' hot & humid to launch, although somedays I will risk the sunburn. :cool:

Originally posted by Lugnut
Nice launch pics. I hoping the wind dies down here in NJ so I can go out tomorrow. I'm jonesing bad

Where at in Jersey do you launch?

Back