Das Modell Retailler?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PunkRocketScience

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a retailler in the US that stocks Das Modell kits? I REEEEEEEALY would like to order one of their V1 buzzbomb kits, but I can't find anyone who sells them on this side of the pond...

I too was interested in these kits, sold under the Physics of Flight label out of a store by that name in England. I actually sent an email to the company and asked if they had a US retailer to which they responded no, but they were interested in finding one.

I then asked, on this forum, if anyone knew much about the kits and you can read the replies at https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5595 .

It appears the kits are somewhat disappointing, with poor instructions, and motor mounts somewhat differently sized from here. The prices are also pretty high, and then you have to add shipping from the UK.

I do agree, though, that they're sure making some kits I'd like to see, well-made, here in the US.

At our local NAR chapter, this past summer some guy came out one time with a few of those kits. He had 2 of them built and about 3 or 4 in boxes to show us. That day he flew the "Bachem Natter" and the "V1". As I recall it, the "Bachem Natter" lept off the pad, took a horizontal flight path, and disappeared off into the orange groves. The "V1" didn't fare so well either. It took off and did an odd spiral flight which didn't allow it to fly too high. I think it hit the ground before the chute deployed. Either way, they were both very cool looking kits.

I was not aware that these were the "Physics of Flight" models. I was able to get a Vostok, and V1, and find the kits quality to be on par with Estes kits, the vacum molded parts even seem to be "crisper" than those of the old Estes Enterprise, and Citation Bomarc. The body tubes are good heavy white spiral wound tubes, and the instructions although in German, contain lots of diagrams. I will attach some here in approx 5 posts to follow.

Mikeyd,

Thanks for the photos.

I did some further investigating and it appears that Physics of Flight produces several of their own kits, and acts as the UK importer for the Das Modell kits. Apparently Physics of Flight does not sell to the general public but only wholesales to stores and clubs.

Of the two sites that they refer retail customers to, one site lists the kits as Das Modell kits and the other as Physics of Flight Kits.

Physics of Flight https://www.physicsofflight.com/
Rockets and things https://www.rockets-things.co.uk
Deepsky https://www.modelrockets.co.uk

Have you had a chance to fly one of these kits yet? They list the motor mount size as 25mm. Does an Estes D fit OK?

Thanks again for the pics.

I'd be interested in hearing from Sandman if the kit looks like what he got.

Gus,

Yep, those are the same kits my sister got me in England (I love nmy sister!)

They are on my "to build" list!

sandman

I gotta say ,I'm actually impressed with the amount of vacuform parts.in the pic.

it could produce a very nice rocket !
... with alot of work

Do they sell the vacuform sheet itself?

Here is a picture of their Lower tube, with an Aerotech 24mm motor tube from a 29mm adapter kit, placed inside of the Vostok tube. It looks like the instructions show a smaller motor tube with centering rings, to go inside this lower body tube, as seen above in picture "VOSTOK3" item number 24. I have not found this tube, nor the centering rings in the kit, however I have not opend the smaller parts bag yet. The engine hook is in the parts bag and is the right length for a standard D engine. It looks like they did not ship me the motor mount tube, which is no big deal as I will fit it to the D engine as shown. With the pictured setup you can adjust their tube to fit our 24mm motors. I also included a closer picture of one of the "Outer" body tubes. The motor tube looks to have deep spirals to fill, the "Outer" tube spirals look to be very small, and hope to not show much.
Hope this helps!
Happy Flying!

"PHYSICS OF FLIGHT" produce various kits of there own.My personal favourate is the "ADDER".Its a 3 C cluster which leaps of the launch pad and has given me many frilling flights.The kit comes with laser cut center rings(they are segments which come together to make a ring)so it's a joy to build.

Hhhmmmm, I live a couple of miles from the store and know the owner very well.

If interested I could ship a couple of kits to the states. I can get anything you want from "Das Modell".

But be warned. Dollar rate is to your disadvantage :(

We had several discussion about "Das Modell/Noris" in our German forum at https://www.modellraketen-forum.com. The general view is that the quality is sometimes were poor and it takes a lot of time and re-building of the parts to get a reasonable result.

For example, you may view the following thread. Florian tried the build the Vostok model. Because of the poor quality of the plastic parts, he decided to throw away original parts like the boosters and rebuild them from paper:

https://www.modellraketen-forum.de/board/messages/9293/5951.html

The forum is in German, but you may use Babelfish to translate it.

In general, many rocketeers here in Germany prefer Estes or Quest for this reason.

Oliver

Oliver,

That was my view on the Vostok kit also...

I will try to build it using MOST of the kit parts.

Some day.

sandman

Hey, guys. Please remember EMRR on these kits... we have very few reviews on Physic's of Flight or Das Modell, so it would be good to get some more listed.

Thanks,
Nick

Hi !

Hhmm...
In my opinion, the rockets from Noris/ Das Modell are nice for <a href="https://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=learning&v=54&src=zon">learning</a>, how to make modifications and having much fun flying with them till the end *hehe* (hope, someone understands my English, sorry... :rolleyes: )

If you like to modify - these rockets really make pleasure...

I built the Jumbo2 (1,75m*40/60/80) for flying on 4* 24 or the German 25mm D motors.

It flew, after a cool Ignition with a flashpan well powered to around 250m... (4*D7-3; 2 were plugged, 2 with an ejection)

You want a pic ? Of course you get one... :)

Sorry, but this answer sounds amazing to me! :confused:

Sure, I can throw away the body tubes and replace it with Estes/Quest etc. tubes. I can throw away the plastic parts and build my own boosters/nose cones out of paper as Flo did. And so on and on. But why do I need the kit anyway if I need to "modify" (better say "replace") most parts? If I want to do it totally on my own, I buy a plan, not a kit.

The only thing you could "learn" here is that you wasted a lot of money for poor-quality components! Why not saving the money and buy from another manufacturer who delivers better quality?

Oliver

The kit that I was really hoping to get from Das Modell is their V1 kit, not their sport kits. I am unaware of any other manufacturer that produces one nor have I been able to find much in the way of scale data on the 'net.

If the quality of their kits is so poor, I could scratch build one if I get a look at the business end of their kit, so I could see the motor layout. Does anyone know where they have mounted the engine? Is it in the upper ramjet or in the main body?

Oliver, I can`t understand, why you have to do that still everytime and everywhere... please!
I don`t want to argue with you.. too many <a href="https://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=people&v=54&src=zon">people</a> did this the last <a href="https://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=54&src=zon">time</a>...

You said your opinion, like I did.

I like my Jumbo2 and won`t say the untruth for you.

Marxi,

I explained my experiences with "Das Modell/Noris" kits and you know that many others here in Germany share my opinion (just read the tread I mentioned).

We know you have close relationships to the owners and friends of "Das Modell". But this is not a reason to start personal flames (like you did in other forums) only because someone has a different view. If you wish to reply in a non-politics manner (e.g. because you think that plastic boosters who do not fit are OK), you may do, but pls. keep politics out of this forum - thanks :mad:

Oliver

Oliver - let`s simply stop !
Because I don`t want to fully destroy this nice thread of Todd, I won`t answer.

I don`t wanted to bring any bad things in this thread, wenn I wrote my experience with Das Modell.

In the future I will not post back from your first reply on.

--

Hi Todd !

You could also build a Fullscale V1 for your L3 Attempt !!
Sounds appealing ? :D ;)
Ok, 1:3 would also be just great with a lenght of around 4m and a Wingspan of ~1,80m... :cool:

I found a pic of Roman`s Noris/ Das Modell V1 to see, where the Motor ist mounted:

Hello together,

I'm the one who build the Wostok and I have to agree to Oliver. If I pay a lot of money for a scale rocket the I await a quality standard that allows me to build the model without of rebuilding half of the parts.

Also Marxi is right, with a lot of work and improvement you kan build a nice model of the kit but, Marxi, ther is a big difference between a "normal" modelrocket and a scale rocket!

I decided to never again buy a Norris model, but this has to deciede everyone for hisself.

I decided this because the price of the models is not adapted to the quallity.

I would suggest to buy a good modelrocket software (for less then one of these models) and build your models yourself.

Result: These models are not suitable for beginners in model rocketry *HANDS OFF*

Greetings from germany,

Flo

The pic is very helpful in seeing how they have designed their kit. With this additional info, I should be able to figure out how to scratch build one.

Interesting idea on the L3 attempt...wonder if I could get it past L3CC... Have to fly a hybrid for it too, gotta get the sound right.

Well, since I haven't purchased a model kit from "Das Modell" to date and reading this thread I might as well get the V1 and find out for myself how the kits are put together.

A report will follow Nick.

Back