Das Modell Models??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStarStar

Reaction score
Surfing off and on and around the net, I've seen the Das Modell line of rockets made in Germany, they look pretty interesting. They have a Soyuz, a Vostok, a Shuttle (AND an Energia-Buran!), a Saturn V, a couple different Arianes and a V-2 model that look very cool.

They certainly list a more complete line of scale models than anyone I've seen in the US recently... I'm wondering if anybody in the US has looked into importing or distributing these kits, or would that be just totally prohibitive in cost..?? The prices they list in Euros don't look completely insane, is there some huge tariff or import cost to bring them over??

https://www.noris-raketen.de/html/start.htm

Joe,

I have like one of each of those kits.

Really dissapointing quality considering they come from Germany.

Not what you would expect from Da Fadderland.

Originally posted by sandman
Joe,

I have like one of each of those kits.

Really dissapointing quality considering they come from Germany.

Not what you would expect from Da Fadderland.

Even not what we expect from a good manufacturer here in Germany. There were quite a few discussions about the quality of 'Das Modell'. They do have nice kit ideas, some of them are even not available from other manufacturers. But as said, the quality is so poor sometimes that it´s a good idea to buy from other manufacturers or build it your own.

Just my opinion...

Oliver

There were two 'Das Raketen Spacketen' kits in the raffle at K-Lob. "These the booby prizes, then?" was the usual comment.

I have their V2 and its of inferior quality I was very suprised.
I agree good ideas poor workmanship

Not what I'd expect from the original V2 makers :)

Hmm, well, guess I'll cancel my trip to Germany. :rolleyes:

The display pics they have on their web pages look nice, but if you can't make your display models look good, you're pretty sorry...

I dunno, if somebody could import 'em cheap, maybe you could kitbash with some better components to make better end results? But if you're gonna have to do too much of that, obviously you're better off just scratchbuilding in the first place.

Ahhhh, well, it's not like I don't have enough rockets to put together anyway... lol

I've had a few requests from customers to carry them and I considered them at one time, but a few reasons made me decide against it. The only way I would consider it is if so many requested them that it would make it worthwhile. Just hold your horses, though. Wes has some interesting stuff coming that might make you forget about them. (Good quality, too)

can you guys give examples of as to why they were so cheap?

The tubes are extra thick...but weaker than an Estes type tube...go figure.

Tubes are also very rough...don't paint well and without a glassine surface.

Lots and lots of vacuformed parts that don't fit very well (the Vostok especially)

If you hate the vacuform parts in the Estes Maxi V-2 and Maxi Honest John kits...yer not gonna be happy!

They even have vacuform nose cones!...yuck!

The tubes are also very coarsely wound. I'm not as fussy about the finish as some people, so my Ariane 5 is the only model rocket on which I felt I had to fill in the spiral groove. After some filling, priming and sanding, I got a decent finish. I haven't had a good flight out of it, but that's because I put extra C6-3's in the booster pods and a load of clay in the nose to balance it, and I suspect the little cardboard fins aren't up to the extra load...

I've also seen the V-1 fly. Built stock, it's unstable, although that was using an Estes D12 rather than the recommended D7. Mind you, I believe the D7 is heavier. The owner put in some more nose weight, although not quite enough as it turned out, and the model flew rather too realistically - nearly horizontal!

On the other hand, I've seen their other Ariane, which looked alright (presumably after a good deal of work) and flew well.

some of the models , like the V2 use fiberboard fins, that may seem cheap to some people. I suppose any of the kits could be made into a nice rocket , but they are rather expensive to warrant that kind of effort to get a nice scale model.

Originally posted by adrian
On the other hand, I've seen their other Ariane, which looked alright (presumably after a good deal of work) and flew well.
Thats Starbug's isn't it?

If so - it does look really good, in real life. You'd never guess its a Das Modell! ;)

Originally posted by cydermaster
Thats Starbug's isn't it?

If so - it does look really good, in real life. You'd never guess its a Das Modell! ;)

Well, it wasn't his first Das Model kit - so I guess he knew what to expect. Anyway, Starbug can make corrugated cardboard and a paper cup from a vending machine look good.

bluestreak.jpg

bluestreaktestflight.jpg

Back