New threads and interesting conversations directly in your inbox. Sign up now and get a daily summary of the latest forum activities!
Discussion in 'Regional or Local Events' started by pyrobob, Jul 15, 2015.
Planning on an airstart flight with Big Red. I hope the weather holds!
I give myself about a 70% chance of an actual two stage high power flight (weather and RSO/LCO permitting). This will be a j250 to an i140 with altitude topping out at about 5k feet. I need my Raven4 to get delivered and do some ground testing before I feel confident.
For beginner clarity, Chad's multi stage and Duster's air start are the same right?
Either way I'll be a plebian with a single stage that miight be high power if nothing goes ballistic round one [emoji16]
Are you talking about a 5K flight at Gunter?
yes, if the wind is out of the North then there is a lot of range to work with. Hopefully, being January, if there is a breeze it will be in the right direction. Technically, I believe the Gunter FAA waiver is good to 10k feet, the limiting factor is the flight range size and orientation.
I believe the waiver is much lower. Be sure to contact Jack Sprague or George Sprague.
Duster flies a single staged rocket with multiple motors, some of which are ignited AFTER lift-off. Ya know, steely-eyed missile man s___.
Chad’s stager, while no less exciting, has the standard flight profile of a single motor in the booster followed by a single motor in the second stage.
Our flight ceiling at Gunter on any given day is dependent on wind direction and speed. With a south wind in the usual 10+ mph range we keep things low out of an abundance of caution and respect for our northern neighbors with working farms. We try to communicate our best guess by Wednesday or Thursday before the launch but sometimes it’s a game day decision. So planning a 5K flight is fine as long as you have a “Plan B” for a lower ceiling.
Yeeep, that's what it sounds like! Lol
Well I have my L1 rocket ready, of course now it's saying 15mph winds next Saturday [emoji853]
That’s a pretty rocket ! We have some weather to get through between now and Saturday. So think happy thoughts and watch Facebook or the website for announcements.
Thanks! Yep, hopefully the weather turns less windy by then.
I was emailing George my flight plans (higher altitude needs permission) and he replied the launch is scrubbed this weekend, stupid rain. Granted, the soil in Gunter is basically glue when turned to mud so a recovery walk would be pretty miserable. I use to know the name of the soils all over North Texas, Ag is a required class in HS when you grow up in the country haha.
Oh well, Texas weather gonna Texas Weather. Really looking forward to your flight though. If you can, bring your rocket to the next biz meeting (check DARS.org for time/location ).
Booo. After I saw the weather I assumed that would be the case.
Launching HPR in those winds doesn't seem fun anyways
What's the typical altitude limit at Gunter? Is there an engine class limit too, or just altitude? Online it said full G??
Besides the info in post #1869 ... it depends. Under 3K is a typical ceiling with a south wind. When it blows from the north we go higher. We make those decisions on a month to month basis, usually on the week of the launch. UT Arlington Aeromavs went to 12K on one special occasion. But that’s because the Fort Worth tower likes me AND I said “pretty please”.
Oh yeah, the web page has some old info.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. 3k is plenty to play with on this rocket. [emoji16] H128 sims around 2200 in openrocket I think
So is the launch at Gunter cancelled for this Saturday 1/18/20?
Yup, just saw on website, cancelled.
Guess I will have to wait for Feb. to try out my new waders for crossing the creeks to recover rockets
Anybody thinking about going to LDRS on the Salt Flats? I'm giving it some thought . It's a bucket list launch site for me.
Any information on where and when LDRS will be.
Never been to one.
It's in Utah this year at the Bonneville salt flats. Looks awesome but mannn that's a trek to get there
No, but I already have my hotel room for Airfest. You coming again, Robert?
Come on Sam, is this the year? You are welcome to a seat under the Lab Rat canopy which will have prime location on vendor row...you know you want to.
Airfest may be on the horizon. The Labor Day weekend makes it quite the challenge with the fam though...
While LDRS in Argonia was a lot of fun, and the salt flats are something I’d like to visit, I don’t see it in the cards for me this year.
Not sure airfest would ever work, so you all let me live vicariously through you. Please share project, photos, and experience.
I just realized it was on labor day. Whommmp, that's pretty much always a family weekend.
I was planning on building a level 2 rocket for that. (Why not plan for the next rocket before you launch the current one?!
Oh man is it January already ! Appreciate the offer as always Chris. I've become somewhat philosophical about the knowing and the wanting. But hope springs eternal and yes, perhaps, this is the year. … Maybe ...
Separate names with a comma.